• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chances14

Illitch announces plan to build new arena

Rate this topic

If Ilitch builds a new state of the art arena with the "old school" charm of what the Olympia had I bet many here won't feel so bad about leaving the Joe.

ya, just like the Old School charm of Tiger Stadium he built into Comerica....It will be nothing but a cookie cutter arena based on the new Pittsburgh and Columbus arena's...and it will be named something by the highest bidder regardless of where the HQ is for that bidder...ie Comerica Park HQ'd in Texas.

I would love to see an Olympia style arena and I am sticking by my name of Cadillac Centre. (Not only for GM ties but mostly for Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac...founder of Detroit.)

One of you guys LONG ago made up a "Olympia" type rendition of a new arena, you shold repost it in this thread.

I moved downtown not too long ago and my apartment's view is right toward the huge parking lots behind the Fox Theater. I can post pictures for you guys when they start construction (or now, if anyone is interested in seeing empty lots). But I think strategically that spot fits the mold of what Ilitch is describing. The other side of Woodward is pretty happening with the other stadiums, Chili's, and other bars/restaurants. That's where all the action is on game days for the Tigers and Lions. On the other side there is Hockeytown cafe and then a bunch of nothing. I think putting the stadium there really completes the picture. Plus it's right on the Grand Circus Park people mover stop.

I've got such mixed feelings about this. My brain knows that it will be great for downtown and the city in general, but my heart can't understand why hockey would be played anywhere other than JLA.

That was the beauty of the Lambeau Field $295 Million renovations. Same historic and sentimental feel, with modern day luxury. Win, Win for Packer fans.

Pre-Renovation:

aerial.jpg

Post-Renovation:

lam_fade.jpg

And the new $130 Million seating addition, jumbo-trons and further upgrades will be done for the start of next season. That will make Lambeau the 4th biggest in the NFL.

Whats sad is I have never gotten to watch a game at the Joe and probably never will=(

Well if we have hockey this year, that'd be your chance.. Probably next year too but good luck! the joe is a great place, hope you make it there.

Well if we have hockey this year, that'd be your chance.. Probably next year too but good luck! the joe is a great place, hope you make it there.

i think this is going to be 4 or 5 year process. it's going to take probably at least a 2 years to finalize the plans and then another 2-3 years to build the arena

i think this is going to be 4 or 5 year process. it's going to take probably at least a 2 years to finalize the plans and then another 2-3 years to build the arena

While building an arena that sized in the location it is, the city will most likely push for them to get this thing done asap to attract the population to spend money in a much needed market (downtown). Detroit is going through some rough times right now, and the city is basically bankrupt. This arena could really start to motivate and accelerate the market of downtown. I know the building process is going to take awhile, but I certainly think the city will be pushing for them to get this thing done asap.

While building an arena that sized in the location it is, the city will most likely push for them to get this thing done asap to attract the population to spend money in a much needed market (downtown). Detroit is going through some rough times right now, and the city is basically bankrupt. This arena could really start to motivate and accelerate the market of downtown. I know the building process is going to take awhile, but I certainly think the city will be pushing for them to get this thing done asap.

i was watching the local detroit news last night and they said that it will be a year and half at the earliest before the plans are finalized

ya, just like the Old School charm of Tiger Stadium he built into Comerica....It will be nothing but a cookie cutter arena based on the new Pittsburgh and Columbus arena's...and it will be named something by the highest bidder regardless of where the HQ is for that bidder...ie Comerica Park HQ'd in Texas.

I would love to see an Olympia style arena and I am sticking by my name of Cadillac Centre. (Not only for GM ties but mostly for Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac...founder of Detroit.)

One of you guys LONG ago made up a "Olympia" type rendition of a new arena, you shold repost it in this thread.

Comerica definitely does not have an "old stadium" charm but I think the stadium is still very representative of the city in its own right. Given that it's an industrial city I don't think it's an accident that the stadium was built with that rough I-beam look to it. I think it's very much meant to be representative of the heart and soul of the city, regardless of whether it's along the model old stadium. You're right though, old stadium it's not.

I'm all for this new arena, but I can't help but wonder what this will mean for Cobo Joe's? They probably ought to start looking for a new home too.

I can't help but wonder is for some reason Mr I doesn't make it to see the Grand Opening that it would very appropriate to name it after him..... The Illitch Centre of Entertainment Arena sounds nice....

or affectionately the The I.C.E Arena...

Edited by LeftWinger

I'm resigned to a new arena, but I'm not thrilled with their choice of funding by any means. It will take forever to recoup that money for the education system, which needs it far more than Mr. I does.

I agree with this, I would rather see it called the all-state centre or something then take more money from the already desperate education fund. The education system is already in shambles.

I know many of you have seen this before, but I've redone the Website and cleaned up the drawings. This is the last time I'm going to do it, but I wanted to get them as nice as I could. Here are a couple pics, but visit http://www.newolympia.blogspot.com to see the new web site.

Complex+1A.png

Complex+4.jpgWing-Hi.png

Edited by schulzte