• This topic is locked This topic is locked
203 replies to this topic

#61 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

how i understand it is that it's basically a one year exception so teams have some time to get down to the cap for next year. so for all pretense and purposes, the cap is $70.2 million for this season. i may be wrong but i think that's how it works

at the end of the this season, teams have the option of buying out 2 players over the next 2 offseasons with their salary being wiped off of the cap.if i was franzen, i would working my ass off this season if he wants to stay with the wings. gotta imagine he is one of the leading candidates to get bought out this upcoming offseason

Given where the Wings are cap-wise for 2013-14 & the amount of young forwards they have ready to contribute, I doubt Kenny uses either of his 2 buy-outs.  The bigger question is which UFAs/RFAs come back.

FA's in 2013-14:

Filppula (UFA)

Cleary (UFA)

Brunner (UFA)

Nyquist (RFA)

Miller (UFA)

Mursak (RFA)

White (UFA)

Kindl (RFA)

Smith (RFA)

Howard (UFA)

Edit: Who I think will be back in bold

Edited by ogreslayer, 06 January 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#62 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Finding it very hard to get excited right now....

Just out of curiosity, have the players gained anything out of this apart from a reduction in Free Agency age from 27/28 to 25/26?  Everything else seems to be pretty much damage limitation.  Looks like a decisive win for Bettman from here.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#63 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

430905_392636847494937_978270622_n.jpg

:P 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#64 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Given where the Wings are cap-wise for 2013-14 & the amount of young forwards they have ready to contribute, I doubt Kenny uses either of his 2 buy-outs.  The bigger question is which UFAs/RFAs come back.

FA's in 2013-14:

Filppula (UFA)

Cleary (UFA)

Brunner (UFA)

Nyquist (RFA)

Miller (UFA)

Mursak (RFA)

White (UFA)

Kindl (RFA)

Smith (RFA)

Howard (UFA)

it depends on how well franzen performs imo. if the rumors about holland offering franzen in a trade for rick nash are true, i think he will be willing to buy him out if he doesn't perform. holland would be dumb to pass up the opportunity to get rid of albatross long term contract without any repercussions on a guy who has played like he mentally checked out 2 years ago

Edited by chances14, 06 January 2013 - 12:06 PM.

• Nev likes this

#65 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Wait a second.

Does this mean we actually get to discuss HOCKEY now, instead of who's fault the lockout/economic situation is? I'm confused.

Negative.

This is now the point where we discuss how everyone on the team except Dats and Zetterberg suck and should be traded, bought out, or cut from the team.  This is also the point where we discuss how Kenny and the management of the Wings suck a big one and where Detroit is not a destination for free agents because of the aging and out of touch management.

Hockey is only seriously discussed in about 25% of the threads here.

You are right that now we stop discussing who's fault it is.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#66 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Possibly a 2nd media buzz regarding obtaining more free agents?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#67 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised.  Still curious to see what the fan reaction will be.

Time to be pessimistic (realistic) again.  We'll have a hard time making the playoffs and/or getting out of the first round.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#68 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Bring back Pasha asap.

Wow thats a really good deal for both sides but why not SOME weeks before?

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Glad it's over, mostly because now I can stop policing the lockout thread. :D

Honestly I am glad it's over, but this half-season will have a strong stench on it.  A part of me would've been willing to do without hockey for the season if it meant a good housecleaning all around on the NHL and NHLPA leadership. 

Right now I'm still bitter and hoping fans stay away for a while and it really hurts a couple franchises.  There's still not nearly enough revenue sharing, but I guess the silver lining is we won't have to do this again for 8-10 years instead of 7. 

And as is often the case with a short training camp, get ready for a lot of pulled groins those first few weeks.   :P

#70 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

ca5.gif

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#71 Xitium

Xitium

Super Lurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'm stunned. I never thought they would pull it off. 

I wonder if the 'NHL Center Ice for free' rumor will come true.

If you start a new thread within two hours after a Wings game, specifically a loss, YOU ARE WRONG.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

NHL Center Ice should be free for this season. Would be a nice thing for the fans but I highly doubt it happens.

#73 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

NHL Center Ice should be free for this season. Would be a nice thing for the fans but I highly doubt it happens.

if there's one thing i've learned through all of this, it's that the NHL doesn't care about the fans.... so i don't see that happening. 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#74 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

if there's one thing i've learned through all of this, it's that the NHL doesn't care about the fans.... so i don't see that happening. 

Yes I agree totally.

#75 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'm stunned. I never thought they would pull it off. 

I wonder if the 'NHL Center Ice for free' rumor will come true.

I still am stunned. Last night was just a nightmare roller-coaster. Every single reporter said "deal unlikely", "meetings slow, little progress", and then the meetings never seemed to end. Then all the cautious optimism became legit optimism at around 3-4 AM when we realized that there must be significant progress going on. BAM, everybody tweets: deal done. HFBoards absolutely explodes.

They've done some damage but in the end the owners have come to their senses and made their fair share of compromises after the players were giving the entire time.

bringit.jpg

#76 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

I stopped following it last night because they said thats how it works.  All night with 'no' or 'little' progress and then, bam, deal done.

I was confident they would get it done, but I'm still speechless.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#77 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I still am stunned. Last night was just a nightmare roller-coaster. Every single reporter said "deal unlikely", "meetings slow, little progress", and then the meetings never seemed to end. Then all the cautious optimism became legit optimism at around 3-4 AM when we realized that there must be significant progress going on. BAM, everybody tweets: deal done. HFBoards absolutely explodes.

They've done some damage but in the end the owners have come to their senses and made their fair share of compromises after the players were giving the entire time.

once it reached 3am and they were going on 14-15 hours straight of talking, i knew that a deal would be reached when i woke up today. you don't talk for that long into the night if you don't feel like a deal is within reach

i think it's more likely that the gamecenter will be free. not sure how the center ice thing would work with all the different cable providers

#78 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

According to Pierre LeBrun of TSN and ESPN, the regular season will be 50 games if it starts by Jan. 15 and will be 48 games if it starts on Jan. 19.

bringit.jpg

#79 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Andrew Ference tweeted a thumbs up at like 5am est.

bringit.jpg

#80 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

These crybabies have no clue how many people they have impacted whining about who gets the bigger piece of their multi-million dollar pie. How about the employees that didn't work during the lockout? Not one mention of them by the league or the players.

This lockout has displayed their true colors. The NHL is nothing but a corporation that will put anyone and everyone at risk to ensure that they make as large a profit as possible. The blatant disregard for the fans and the hourly employees is both offending and intolerable.

What a magical last-minute deal to ensure that they can continue to pocket their millions. They didn't do it for the fans, they did it because they were feeling increased pressure from their corporate sponsors to get a deal done.

"Thank You Fans!"
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien