• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Sens Karlsson suffers lacerated Achilles tendon

Rate this topic

So Matt Cooke losing balance while leaning into someone along the boards, while standing on one leg isn't plausible?

Both scenarios are plausible. To me if he would've just brought his leg into Karlsson without the extra little (very intentional looking) heel stomp I'd be fine. And it's not to say I think he meant to cut him on the leg and injure him. I don't think it's black or white or easy to label innocent or guilty. I think it's a dirty grey area where Cooke made a snap decision to give him a little jolt in the leg and it backfired.

Both scenarios are plausible. To me if he would've just brought his leg into Karlsson without the extra little (very intentional looking) heel stomp I'd be fine. And it's not to say I think he meant to cut him on the leg and injure him. I don't think it's black or white or easy to label innocent or guilty. I think it's a dirty grey area where Cooke made a snap decision to give him a little jolt in the leg and it backfired.

His foot has to come down, it's called gravity. He can't just keep his foot up for an extended period of time along the boards. Especially when you consider the body contact, it's very likely that he lost his balance. Unless Matt Cooke has the strength and ability of one of the greatest skaters in history. I don't know, it just seems much more likely that he just lost balance on one leg, and finished the play normally.

His foot has to come down, it's called gravity. He can't just keep his foot up for an extended period of time along the boards. Especially when you consider the body contact, it's very likely that he lost his balance. Unless Matt Cooke has the strength and ability of one of the greatest skaters in history. I don't know, it just seems much more likely that he just lost balance on one leg, and finished the play normally.

Nah! I didn't know about gravity until now! Man, to think I've just been lowering my legs to the ground normally. I've clearly been doing it wrong, I should be kicking my heel down like I'm trying to crack the ice. I don't buy the balance thing, he was lowering his leg normally until he made a conscious decision to kick his heel. Now maybe he did that and didn't intend for it to do anything, that's the part that I'd debate since it's possible.

Per Bryan Murray, out 3-4 months. Tendon was 70% severed.

Official Ottawa Sens Twitter

"Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - Sens GM Bryan Murray

"Erik Karlsson's season is effectively over." - #Sens GM Bryan Murray

And the ever insightful Bob McKenzie...

Good news (well, not so horrible) is Achilles wasn't severed. 100% cut requires "shortening" of tendon to repair and complicates recovery.

So if the new rules are making guys hit each other this way, then why doesn't the NHL tweek their rules like the NFL does? The NFL is tweeking rules all the time in order to make their game better and safer. I'm not sure if the NHL is to dense, or to stubborn to make small changes to their game.

The sad thing is someone's going to be put in a wheelchair for life or even killed before the NHL makes some safety changes

Doesn't matter, all of you who are arguing about intention or not. If a player unintentionally trips another player, does he get a 2 mins penalty? If a player unintentionally draws blood when he slashed another player in the face, does he get a 4 mins? If a player unintentionally sends a puck over the ice, does he get a 2 mins penalty? Intentionality is secondary. He was reckless with his skate and caused an injury. At least 3 games.

Doesn't matter, all of you who are arguing about intention or not. If a player unintentionally trips another player, does he get a 2 mins penalty? If a player unintentionally draws blood when he slashed another player in the face, does he get a 4 mins? If a player unintentionally sends a puck over the ice, does he get a 2 mins penalty? Intentionality is secondary. He was reckless with his skate and caused an injury. At least 3 games.

So what should of happened to Hossa after he ruined Berards career? And what Hossa did was actually against the rules!

What rules were Cooke breaking? You aren't allowed to pin defenseman any more? Intention matters when it's the sole reason for a suspension, there is no reason for a penalty on Cooke at all here, he didn't do anything wrong in the first place, so you can't compare it to players that take a penalty.

For those examples intent doesn't matter because they are against the rules.

Loathe as I am to defend Cooke, he violated no rule in his hit on Karlsson. It'd be one thing if he came in skates up pointed at someone but he was hardly reckless with his skate. It was a hockey play with an unfortunate outcome.

For as fast paced and crazy as the game is, there are very few injuries due to skate blades. It's kind of amazing actually. But they're going to happen from time to time. This was unfortunately a dirtbag player unintentionally injuring a young star player.

If Datsyuk or Marty St. Louis had accidentally done it to Karlsson, I doubt people would be arguing so much about it.

Everyone in the hockey world outside of the Sens organization don't think this was a big deal at all....fluke accident. TSN even showed clips of the same play happening a few times in the first few minutes of other games (LAST NIGHT). It happens multiple times in every game. This was a fluke.

We are talking about it because it's Matt Cooke. He has changed his game and has tried to get away from the stuff he's done in the past, but he'll never be able to shake the reputation of his past behaviour...that's life.

Someone mentioned that Crosby might take cheap shots because of this. I think there is some truth to that. Not from the rest of the league, but maybe the next time they play the Sens (he may get heat because of other stuff Cooke does though). He was a target for a few of the Sens late in the game though. I wasn't sure if that was based on regular game plan against him or if it was because of what Cooke did to their star player.

If I'm the Pens though, I'd be very cautious and watching out for someone taking a run at Crosby the next game. If this incident was Cooke against a scrub, I don't think you'd see that, but since Cooke ended up taking out their best player and arguably one of the best in the league, I think they might think a little about targeting Crosby.

This. It's mind boggling that people think Cooke did this on purpose.

Not really. People believe what they want to believe. Matt Cooke is a piece of s*** and is hated by many people, and for good reason. For many people, he's lost the benefit of the doubt. Is it fair? Probably not. Do I care? No, f*** Cooke. I said it once and I'll say it again. He never should have been in that position because he shouldn't be in the league.

After watching the video MANY times and knowing checks like this happen all the time, Cooke stomped the back of Karlsson's ankle with his skate. I think it's pretty clear. Of course we'll never know for sure, and you can bet your ass Cooke would never admit it if he did do it on purpose, but I don't think it was an accident.

edit: The fact that this hit DOES happen all the time without a rash of players getting their legs sliced up only supports the notion that Cooke did this on purpose. Either that or we are supposed to believe that all hockey players from pee wee on up through juniors to the NHL know how to correctly finish this type of hit without cutting the opponent but Matt Cooke does not? Boooooools***.

Matt Cooke hasn't changed, he's simply figured out how to disguise his cheap play better. He now knows he can't just come screaming across the ice and blindside headshot someone, he's got to make his cheapness look like an "accident".

f*** Matt Cooke.

esteef

Edited by esteef

To fill in for people that haven't played hockey, Matt Cooke put his leg up like that so that he could gain leverage and pin the defenseman along the boards by putting his leg between Karlsson's, unfortunately Karlsson's legs came together quickly in an effort to evade Cooke and that freak accident happened. I understand that it's Matt Cooke, and he truly deserves no benefit of doubt, but it's a legitimate play by him to win a puck battle, or at the very least pin the defenseman along the boards. I truly believe it was an accident, but I understand it's Matt Cooke and don't blame anyone for being against him.

That was pretty poorly executed, I still cringe replaying in my brain...Poor Karlsson though I hope the kid comes back sooner then later.

It's Matt bastard Cooke for crying out loud, so the benefit of the doub t has no place here. I also don't care if it was intentional or not the fact remains, whenever crap happens the Penguins are somehow always involved in it and their owner is one of the guys always screaming for players safety, if something bad is happening to HIS players. Well Lemieux how about screaming for Kevlar socks now?

To be honest watching Karlsson play has made the loss of Lidström a little bit easier, because his talent does remind me a bit of our alltime great. So come back soon kid.

I wish Cooke would have to answer for it, but it is not gonna happen and the reason for that is in the AHL Steve MacIntyre. Nobody is going to fight this guy or try any cheapshots with him in the lineup, so Pittsburgh can basically call him up the next time they are going to play against the Senators and nothing will happen. The league should have thrown the book at Cooke after the Savard thing they didn't and thats unexcuseable.

After watching the video MANY times and knowing checks like this happen all the time, Cooke stomped the back of Karlsson's ankle with his skate. I think it's pretty clear. Of course we'll never know for sure, and you can bet your ass Cooke would never admit it if he did do it on purpose, but I don't think it was an accident.

edit: The fact that this hit DOES happen all the time without a rash of players getting their legs sliced up only supports the notion that Cooke did this on purpose. Either that or we are supposed to believe that all hockey players from pee wee on up through juniors to the NHL know how to correctly finish this type of hit without cutting the opponent but Matt Cooke does not? Boooooools***.

Matt Cooke hasn't changed, he's simply figured out how to disguise his cheap play better. He now knows he can't just come screaming across the ice and blindside headshot someone, he's got to make his cheapness look like an "accident".

f*** Matt Cooke.

esteef

Bingo bango. The play is perfectly clean and normal up until that wee little heel kick. I still don't get what else he could've been attempting. Jamming the bottom of his skate blade half a foot high into the boards for no reason? I see a lot of plays where guys get pinned, I don't see where that heel kick was necessary. Like I said I don't think he meant to almost completely lacerate his tendon but people like him, when they have a millisecond to make a decision, sometimes opt to take a stealthy little shot at a guy thinking it'll give him a slight advantage and nothing else will happen.

The more I watch it the more I realize the whole "losing his balance" excuse is a laughable fairytale at best. He was perfectly in control in a fight for the puck, and was coming to a stop. He could've just pinned him into the boards with his knee going forward and after that his skate coming down normally like anyone else does. If he would've just brought his foot down normally and it came down on Karlsson I wouldn't have a problem.

Edited by shoobiedoobin

So what should of happened to Hossa after he ruined Berards career? And what Hossa did was actually against the rules!

What rules were Cooke breaking? You aren't allowed to pin defenseman any more? Intention matters when it's the sole reason for a suspension, there is no reason for a penalty on Cooke at all here, he didn't do anything wrong in the first place, so you can't compare it to players that take a penalty.

Not trying to pick sides, but there is specific mention in the rule book that Hossa's play while unfortunate, is not a penalty because of shot follow through.

Stomping whether intentional, due to the extreme height of Pronger, trying to gain balance, or unintentional is a penalty. There are no exceptions to the rule, stomping on another player is a penalty. It is however subject to referee discretion.

I am torn on this case with Cooke, I have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt. But when watching the play not in Slow Motion it does not look callous.

I think it warranted a few minutes in the sin bin but I am not sure it warrants a suspension.