• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 Donohue75

Donohue75

Rookie

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

1-If it was not Matt Cooke, there would not even be a discussion on this, except all we would say is tough blow for Ottawa

2-TSN broke it down pretty good, this was a hockey hit

3-The next game you watch, count how many times this exact play is done.  Players are coached now to hit like this since its technically holding, but with the legs.

4-No I am not a fan of Cooke, just a fan of hockey

It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Steve Yzerman

#22 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

When I first saw it I was livid. I blamed Cooke because I thought Karlsson had a knee injury and I saw Cooke raise his knee going into the check. Now that I know it's a laceration I don't think it was intentional. However, we shouldn't even be discussing this because that piece of s*** should have been ejected from the league years ago. I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they did suspend him. He deserves to be penalized just for being Matt Cooke.

Edited by The Greek, 14 February 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#23 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

1-If it was not Matt Cooke, there would not even be a discussion on this, except all we would say is tough blow for Ottawa

2-TSN broke it down pretty good, this was a hockey hit

3-The next game you watch, count how many times this exact play is done.  Players are coached now to hit like this since its technically holding, but with the legs.

4-No I am not a fan of Cooke, just a fan of hockey

I bought the whole thing until the heel kick. I see that play happen a lot. What I don't see are guys kicking their heel right into another player.

#24 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think Matt Cooke is still a POS for all his past actions, but I just don't see how this was intentional.  

Apparently on TSN Aaron Ward showed several clips from the Dallas-Calgary game where players basically did the same thing as they tried to pin a guy to the boards.  Players do it constantly, this was just a fluke play by one of the dirtiest players in the game (even if he's reformed) to one of the league's young stars. 

Were it just about anyone other than Cooke, I also would've had a problem with Neil going after him.  Given Cooke's history though, he's still got a careers worth of beatings coming to him. 

#25 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I bought the whole thing until the heel kick. I see that play happen a lot. What I don't see are guys kicking their heel right into another player.

So Matt Cooke losing balance while leaning into someone along the boards, while standing on one leg isn't plausible? I understand it's Matt Cooke, but he's only human, and that play sure seemed accidental to me. He tried to get his knee between Karlsson's legs and then plant, instead of planting between Karlsson's legs, he planted on Karlsson's leg that he just got into position.

The whole play was so short, if Karlsson's legs didn't get moved together Matt Cooke would have been able to plant his foot on the ice pinning Karlsson to the boards, but in less than a second Karlsson had his legs come together and Matt Cooke was just finishing the play like any normal hockey player would. It's a terrible accident, but this isn't a situation where Cooke saw someone vulnerable on the ice, skated up, and the jumped on his leg. This play was completely normal, and would have been without tragedy if Karlsson legs stayed apart which is much more common along the boards, rather then jumping and keeping your legs together.

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

What makes it even more heartbreaking for Sens fans is the puck hit the netting earlier in the play and should've been blown dead but the linesmen missed it.  

#27 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

So Matt Cooke losing balance while leaning into someone along the boards, while standing on one leg isn't plausible?

Both scenarios are plausible. To me if he would've just brought his leg into Karlsson without the extra little (very intentional looking) heel stomp I'd be fine. And it's not to say I think he meant to cut him on the leg and injure him. I don't think it's black or white or easy to label innocent or guilty. I think it's a dirty grey area where Cooke made a snap decision to give him a little jolt in the leg and it backfired.

#28 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Both scenarios are plausible. To me if he would've just brought his leg into Karlsson without the extra little (very intentional looking) heel stomp I'd be fine. And it's not to say I think he meant to cut him on the leg and injure him. I don't think it's black or white or easy to label innocent or guilty. I think it's a dirty grey area where Cooke made a snap decision to give him a little jolt in the leg and it backfired.

His foot has to come down, it's called gravity. He can't just keep his foot up for an extended period of time along the boards. Especially when you consider the body contact, it's very likely that he lost his balance. Unless Matt Cooke has the strength and ability of one of the greatest skaters in history. I don't know, it just seems much more likely that he just lost balance on one leg, and finished the play normally.

#29 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

His foot has to come down, it's called gravity. He can't just keep his foot up for an extended period of time along the boards. Especially when you consider the body contact, it's very likely that he lost his balance. Unless Matt Cooke has the strength and ability of one of the greatest skaters in history. I don't know, it just seems much more likely that he just lost balance on one leg, and finished the play normally.

Nah! I didn't know about gravity until now! Man, to think I've just been lowering my legs to the ground normally. I've clearly been doing it wrong, I should be kicking my heel down like I'm trying to crack the ice. I don't buy the balance thing, he was lowering his leg normally until he made a conscious decision to kick his heel. Now maybe he did that and didn't intend for it to do anything, that's the part that I'd debate since it's possible.

#30 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

i hate him sooooooooooooooooooooo much. id rather kick him in the nuts once than kick crosby in the nuts twice

Karlsson or Cooke?

#31 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Per Bryan Murray, out 3-4 months.  Tendon was 70% severed.

Official Ottawa Sens Twitter

"Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - Sens GM Bryan Murray

"Erik Karlsson's season is effectively over." - #Sens GM Bryan Murray

And the ever insightful Bob McKenzie...

Good news (well, not so horrible) is Achilles wasn't severed. 100% cut requires "shortening" of tendon to repair and complicates recovery.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#32 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Karlsson or Cooke?

cooke, the dirtiest player in sports. he keeps this s*** up crosby and malkin will have targets on their backs

#33 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

People who think this was intentional aref****** stupid.

#34 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

So if the new rules are making guys hit each other this way, then why doesn't the NHL tweek their rules like the NFL does? The NFL is tweeking rules all the time in order to make their game better and safer. I'm not sure if the NHL is to dense, or to stubborn to make small changes to their game.

The sad thing is someone's going to be put in a wheelchair for life or even killed before the NHL makes some safety changes

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#35 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

As if my fantasy team couldn't get any worse. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Edited by Danielsm, 14 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#36 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Doesn't matter, all of you who are arguing about intention or not.  If a player unintentionally trips another player, does he get a 2 mins penalty?  If a player unintentionally draws blood when he slashed another player in the face, does he get a 4 mins?  If a player unintentionally sends a puck over the ice, does he get a 2 mins penalty?  Intentionality is secondary.  He was reckless with his skate and caused an injury.  At least 3 games.

#37 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Doesn't matter, all of you who are arguing about intention or not.  If a player unintentionally trips another player, does he get a 2 mins penalty?  If a player unintentionally draws blood when he slashed another player in the face, does he get a 4 mins?  If a player unintentionally sends a puck over the ice, does he get a 2 mins penalty?  Intentionality is secondary.  He was reckless with his skate and caused an injury.  At least 3 games.

So what should of happened to Hossa after he ruined Berards career? And what Hossa did was actually against the rules!

What rules were Cooke breaking? You aren't allowed to pin defenseman any more? Intention matters when it's the sole reason for a suspension, there is no reason for a penalty on Cooke at all here, he didn't do anything wrong in the first place, so you can't compare it to players that take a penalty.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I will only make one comment on this thread, accident or not....YOUR SKATES BELONG ON THE ICE!

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#39 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

For those examples intent doesn't matter because they are against the rules. 

Loathe as I am to defend Cooke, he violated no rule in his hit on Karlsson.  It'd be one thing if he came in skates up pointed at someone but he was hardly reckless with his skate.  It was a hockey play with an unfortunate outcome. 

For as fast paced and crazy as the game is, there are very few injuries due to skate blades.  It's kind of amazing actually.  But they're going to happen from time to time.  This was unfortunately a dirtbag player unintentionally injuring a young star player. 

If Datsyuk or Marty St. Louis had accidentally done it to Karlsson, I doubt people would be arguing so much about it. 

#40 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

People who think this was intentional aref****** stupid.

This. It's mind boggling that people think Cooke did this on purpose.