Photo
- - - - -

How much of the current trouble is attributable to injuries?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Lesh

Phil Lesh

Silver apples in the sun.

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

According to the Free Press, through Tuesday's Nashville game, the Wings have lost 104 man games to injury, they'd played 16 games. That's an average of 6.5 players out, every game.

Only ten guys had played in every one of the first 16 games...

Abdelkader

Brunner

Cleary

Emmerton

Filppula

Miller

Kronwall

Quincey

Tootoo

Zetterberg

So how much success can you expect when less than half your lineup has played each of the first 16 games? I know you don't use injuries as an excuse but when I look at it like this it seems to be a serious contributor. Thoughts?

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

If not for injuries, we'd finish as a 5-8 seed and lose in the first round.

Thanks to these injuries, we're unlikely to make the playoffs if the injury bug keeps up.   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Of course we will never know. Most of us fans and the talking heads in the media were not expecting a SC or even a deep PO run. I figured we would finish between 6 and 10 oin the WC, with the team we had. Now with a few less players available, we are going to be lucky to make it to the PO's. Not a bid difference one way or the other to me. My fear is, Holland will right off whatever failures we have as a team to the injuries and not make big changes because of it.

#4 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

The injuries hurt. The problem is that it's every year with this team. It's the same guys, too. There's no cure for this.

#5 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

tonight's game should have a been a W injuries or not

only players i want back are Helm, Smith and Bert he has good chemistry with Datsyuk

Franzen only shows up once every 8-10 games anyway

Edited by Yak19, 21 February 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#6 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Some of these injuries were predictable.

I mean Colaicovo?  That guy graduated from the Sami Salo Institute of Health.  

Samuelsson?  He's old and was hurt last year.

Bertuzzi is like 50.  He's been heallthy here in the past, but the old tank has to run out of gas eventually.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 21 February 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

If we had Helm, Franzen, Coliacovo and Smith back in the lineup I think we would make the playoffs with 'relative' ease. So yes I think injuries are a big issue. The team hasn't been able to become a cohesive unit, with guys rotating in and out of the lineup every game. 

Of course if Sammy comes back and replaces Tatar that actually makes us worse, so the injuries haven't been all bad. 

And there are some things that can't be blamed on injuries however: 

Filppula stinking. I'm severely disappointed in him. 

Kronwall god awful defensively. Sooo disappointed. 

And Babcock's mental illness and manlove for Dan Cleary. 

So in the end what GMR said is probably about right. Unless we can start getting and staying healthy, real soon, we're a long shot to make the playoffs. Sucks that Helms seems to be far from ready. Definitely the most important player missing at the moment, he's a key player. 

#8 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'd say we'd have 3-4 more wins with a fully healthy lineup. But that team still isn't getting to the 2nd round.

Thanks to these injuries, we're unlikely to make the playoffs if the injury bug keeps up.   

This^

#9 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Helm is the biggest loss IMO.

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Helm wouldn't fix this powerplay.  

He's important to this team, but there's no reason a 3rd liner getting hurt should be the biggest loss your team takes.  

#11 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I think injuries are a huge reason why this team is struggling.  But I think some of it has to do with coaching and the way we use our resources (resourcing being players) in the system. If this team was totally healthy I would love to see the lineup look like this.

Mule- Z- Brunner

Fil-Dats- Bert

Nyquist- Helm- Tatar

Abby- Anderson-Tootoo

Emdog, Mursak

Defense I would have Kronwall, Big E, Smith, and White in the lineup for sure.  The others are a toss up.  Go with the hot hand.

As well my PP lines would be...

Nyquist- Datsyuk- Mule

Brunner- Kronwall

Tatar- Fil- Bert

Smith- Zetterberg

Edited by Flipper51, 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#12 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Exactly, Helm is great but our bottom 6 has been surprisingly good lately. We need top 6 players (MULE, Bert, .. Nyquist). Maybe inserting Helm will force Babcock to move Tatar up in the lineup. :blush:

Edited by Number19, 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#13 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

No doubt these injuries have been a HUGE factor into playing bad. Each game someone new is getting hurt, causing Babs to have to change the lines and just look at who Pavs is playing with now. To top that off, our D is really struggling at times... losing Smith was a huge loss because of his skating ability and ability to move the puck. 

With that said, the powerplay MUST be fixed. No more loading up on the one unit because it is not working anyways. When everyone is back (if ever) babs  needs to start REWARDING players and PUNISHING players because they need to be more motivated. WIth that said, once Smith is back, and Kronners continues to not impress, I would bump Kronners off to the 2nd PP unit until he can get his s*** together. 

#14 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

the problem is no accountability, if someone plays bad they get to stay in there next game and play bad again

Kindl has been in and out of the lineup and he is not anywhere near our biggest problem

#15 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

having helm and smith would be huge for the wings, also we need mule so abs isnt a line 2 guy and on the powerplay

#16 Ram

Ram

Goose

• Bronze Booster
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Missing the specific players hurts the actual play but the inability to develop as a cohesive unit with identity is what hurts most about injuries. Example, Tatar, Tootoo, etc. have excelled since jelling together with others in the bottom six, where the rest of the team needs to do the same, which is impossible when everyone is hurt.

Edited by Ram, 22 February 2013 - 12:53 AM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#17 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

Injuries are a factor and are causing this downswing yes I agree.. Yes we have the injury plague. However I still don't like using it as an excuse. Blowing 2 goal leads and whatever else isn't due to injuries.

Our PP imo has done us in a lot games on not capitalizing to put the puck in the net.

#18 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

70%

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

Pretty much this.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Very, very little.  I don't think they'd be doing much better with everyone healthy...that's normally how things work out.  When injuries occur, other players step up.