Filppula-Tatar

Helm-Emmerton

Tootoo

Ericsson-Kronwall-Lashoff

Kindl-Smith-Quincey

Colo-White-Huskins

Howard

Gustavsson

Dump, Chase, have one D pinch while the other 2 slide.

Just getting a little sick of our "system" I guess. It doesnt seem to work without Lids.

Has a team ever tried this?

Datsyuk-Franzen

Zetterberg-Brunner

Filppula-Tatar

Helm-Emmerton

Tootoo

Kindl-Smith-Quincey

Colo-White-Huskins

Howard

Gustavsson

Just getting a little sick of our "system" I guess. It doesnt seem to work without Lids.

This right here, is why you should stick to your day job

Datsyuk-Franzen

Zetterberg-Brunner

Filppula-Tatar

Helm-Emmerton

Tootoo

Kindl-Smith-Quincey

Colo-White-Huskins

Howard

Gustavsson

I'm not so sure a team has ever tried it or that your post is serious, but for those that have played hockey, this just really wouldn't work out. It would be like playing with three centers in basketball, two shortstops in baseball, etc.

Datsyuk-Franzen

Zetterberg-Brunner

Filppula-Tatar

Helm-Emmerton

Tootoo

Kindl-Smith-Quincey

Colo-White-Huskins

Howard

Gustavsson

The problem is if you go to a 2-3 system you're killing any chance of offense you would have. 3 Guys hanging back in the zone will be a lot easier for a goalie to manage against. And if you move one of the defends up you're just playing an inferior 3-2.

It might be something interest to try if you're up 2 goals in the third and want to coast your way to victory but it really wouldn't have a use outside that.

Datsyuk-Franzen

Zetterberg-Brunner

Filppula-Tatar

Helm-Emmerton

Tootoo

Kindl-Smith-Quincey

Colo-White-Huskins

Howard

Gustavsson

This is an absolute gem haha..For all the things that I completely 100% disagree with that you say this makes up for it kinda. Lemaire would be proud. Just bottle up the whole arena.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

it's not realistic to use all those defenseman. what you would need to do instead is slide one of the wingers from each line back, to line up across the ice with the defenserman.

sound familiar?

2CIPoyM.jpg?1

Not cool to be disrespectful to a post like this. It's creative and creates an interesting hockey discussion. If you think it's a bad idea explain why. Good way to learn.

I concur that with the defence pinching, it transforms into an inferior 3-2. And you are hancuffing the offense from creating any real chances.

Not cool to be disrespectful to a post like this. It's creative and creates an interesting hockey discussion. If you think it's a bad idea explain why. Good way to learn.

I concur that with the defence pinching, it transforms into an inferior 3-2. And you are hancuffing the offense from creating any real chances.

^this

If you had a potent offensive duo that could break into the zone consistently with just 2, then maybe. I think a 2-3 isn't unheard of, but I wouldn't be using 3 D-men as the back line. I'd still like to see the 2-1-2, which I think is fairly consistent with coaches still?

Guest The Axe

What about all our "slick, offensive, puck moving, puck possession" defensemen? I dont think we lose ANYTHING by having Kronwall play rover to Datsyuk and Bertuzzi instead of Cleary filling out the other wing. Im saying create a Bobby Orr style Hybrid position to limit outnumbered d situations, but not cripple the offense.

I want to just make some thing clear for some people suggesting various things about this 2-3 system. Well any system really. You can run ANY system with ANY 5 players. I have ran a 1-1-3 offensive zone in my career (used when you are substantially weaker than your opponent). This means that you have 1 hard forchecker, one secondary forechecker that reacts with strong side pressure and 3 across the blue line. You essentially then pinch wherever you need to, middle left right. You then have 2 D back the whole time. This is almost identical o a 2-3 system referred to. You just simply have players that need to be in a certain area regardless of their designated position.

Also there are a few things about the transition from offense to defense. Say you had Datsyuk and Franzen as the two offensive players. You are almost 100% limiting them to covering the opposing teams D in the defensive zone. Now when you think about it that is a complete and utter waste of talent to station Datsyuk up there. Every team in the NHL has 2 D and 1 Center playing down low in their own defensive zone. That center can be the guy who takes faceoffs or the first guy on the backcheck who knows what he's doing. That center while he is considered a forward on paper, is a defenseman in the defensive zone until we break out. This is why guys like Datsyuk, Bergeron, and Backes are far more valuable in hockey than just their stats. This is the purpose of a center for the most part, granted there are some centers that are so offensively gifted that their defensive liabilities are overlooked.

So just so everyone has this straight:

Offensive zone systems are about filling a PLAYER into a need. That player can have any designation they want on paper, but as long as they perform the specific duties of a 2-1-2, 1-3-1, 1-1-3, or any other combination the coach deems appropriate they can run it.

Defensive zone has various ways to play defense against the other teams but that is more dependent on what the other team is doing. So for simplicity sake you have 3 PLAYERS responsible for the individuals playing down low. While 2 other PLAYERS are responsible for the Defenseman of the other team.

The actual make up of who plays what designated position is almost irrelevant. Granted you want to have the best players suited for each role in their specific role.

The real question is should we be more passive in the system or more aggressive or let things play out. Right now we clearly don't have the defenseman to leave them by them selves, I wouldn't mind seeing a more passive counter attack type of game while our injured get healthy.

But it also doesn't matter your system when your team makes really bad turnovers that lead directly to goals.

you mean like we'd call our offense our defense, and our defense the offense...?

I don't want to sound defensing, but some of you may find it offensive... but 2-3 is nothing more than one forward playing deep. a Selke-candidate type of forward can easily do it. even 2 forwards for a 1+4. but it obviously is tough to generate much offense of that...

Guest The Axe

:lol:

Was gonna say - didn't the Red Wings employ the "left wing lock"?

My system is the 3rd D Lock, though.

Guest Johnz96

What about a 2-2-2?

@ goalies would be really hard to score on and defense does win championships

Guest The Axe

I know what you're saying, but that's essentially what the left wing lock was.

The left Wing drops back and becomes a third d-man.

To play that formation all the time and with three dmen would probably be an ugly thing to see.

Sorry, but I think Kronwall, Smith, and White could be more effective in the "Lock" position than Brunner, Cleary, Abdelkader, and Tootoo.

This team needs to help out its goaltender and play a smarter game. There's no way it should be giving up this many outmanned attacks every game.

Play 3 forwards on the PP. That's fine. Play 3 defensemen 5 on 5. We got em on the roster. Might as well use em if our other guys are sucking it up.

Interesting concept!

I don't think our problems stem from the tactics that Babs is utilizing, though. I think most of the issues just come from stupid plays, ala Zetterberg's blind pass to the slot, Brunner's offensive zone turnover with one defensman back, etc.