• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

A+ to Holland for adding Brunner and subtracting Hudler? Seems like this swap turned out to be a gem.

#2 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yes. Topic closed..

Haha really tho, I don't think you'll find anyone other than hudler who would disagree :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#3 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yes. Topic closed..

Haha really tho, I don't think you'll find anyone other than hudler who would disagree :P

Hudler has no one to blame other than himself in my opinion.

He seemed to figure the NHL out in the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons. Then he went to Russia and the rest is history....

#4 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yes. Topic closed..

I hear ya. I just this angle is a good way to look at it. I like Brunner a lot more than Hudler.

#5 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Brunner is much better. He's bigger, stronger, shoots better, is a vastly better skater, and is neither one-dimensional nor a huge liability on defense as Hudler was. Maybe Hudler is a better passer, but that's about it.

#6 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Brunner's potential > Hudler ever

bringit.jpg

#7 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yes. Topic closed..

Except Eva

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#8 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Except Eva

Just saw a comment from him over at HFboards yesterday and had a good belly laugh reading everyone else commenting on his irrational love of Hudler over there as well.  Some things clearly never change. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#9 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I see posts occasionally and get a good chuckle too.  I am like, who is this clo.....oh.....

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#10 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Brunler

#11 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Let's see what happens after he signs a big fat extension.

#12 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Brunner is much better. He's bigger, stronger, shoots better, is a vastly better skater, and is neither one-dimensional nor a huge liability on defense as Hudler was. Maybe Hudler is a better passer, but that's about it.

Nah. Brunner is awfully bad in the defense.

Apart from that, he's a really good sniper :yahoo:

#13 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Nah. Brunner is awfully bad in the defense.

Apart from that, he's a really good sniper :yahoo:

You got some rough reviews of Brunner, it seems like you almost don't like him! He's gotten better drastically since he first came into the league. From day one he's been improving which means he's willing to learn from the franchise. It's an outstanding show of character when you're 26 and not stuck in your ways, still willing to learn, and adapting to a new experience relatively flawlessly. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#14 Mater_Horn

Mater_Horn

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

You got some rough reviews of Brunner, it seems like you almost don't like him! He's gotten better drastically since he first came into the league. From day one he's been improving which means he's willing to learn from the franchise. It's an outstanding show of character when you're 26 and not stuck in your ways, still willing to learn, and adapting to a new experience relatively flawlessly. 

"Rough reviews"? Or "realistic"?

I've seen him play in the Swiss League. And I've seen every Wings game this season but two.

So he did get better throughout his games? I only partially agree. He's floating around a lot less, and shooting less. That's what makes him better now, compared to his first few games. He's still a sniper.

What hasn't changed? He's still a liability in the defense (currently, game-to-game, changing how big that liability it is).

As for "willing to learn at age 26": Brunner's got to surprise me here. AFAIK player's don't "learn" new behaviours at age 26 easily. For Brunner, this means he will never become any solid defensively, i.e. he will never effectively attack a player holding the puck, will never place an effective check in the offensive zone etc. He's too old to "learn" that, guys. His style is different. He's got his chance playing in the Swiss NLA by scoring terrific goals, and eventually they let him play with the best players on his line.

The outcome is Babcock, who lets him play with good working players (Z) also. Result: Brunner scores. But he's neither working hard for the team, nor solid defensively. Let's be realistic.

Btw, I hope Brunner scores 25+ this season.

#15 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hudler has no one to blame other than himself in my opinion.

He seemed to figure the NHL out in the 07-08 and 08-09 seasons. Then he went to Russia and the rest is history....

I don't know....I think Hudler could blame me a little bit! :P

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#16 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I've seen him play in the Swiss League. And I've seen every Wings game this season but two.
So he did get better throughout his games? I only partially agree. He's floating around a lot less, and shooting less. That's what makes him better now, compared to his first few games. He's still a sniper.

What hasn't changed? He's still a liability in the defense (currently, game-to-game, changing how big that liability it is).

As for "willing to learn at age 26": Brunner's got to surprise me here. AFAIK player's don't "learn" new behaviours at age 26 easily. For Brunner, this means he will never become any solid defensively, i.e. he will never effectively attack a player holding the puck, will never place an effective check in the offensive zone etc. He's too old to "learn" that, guys. His style is different. He's got his chance playing in the Swiss NLA by scoring terrific goals, and eventually they let him play with the best players on his line.

The outcome is Babcock, who lets him play with good working players (Z) also. Result: Brunner scores. But he's neither working hard for the team, nor solid defensively. Let's be realistic.

Good analysis. I agree. I guess Im just content with finally seeing a Red Wing player who likes unloading the puck in the net more than possessing it.

#17 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Sure, he's a liability but to say he hasn't improved in that category is wrong. He may lose track of his man and cut in, but lately he has been doing better. I'm not saying he's perfect but there's a learning curve present, as slight as the trajectory may be. On the forecheck he has been getting pressured more lately, and has been handling it better. He attempts to "finish" his checks and be aggressive to force the play on defenders in their zone. He wasn't doing that when he first came here. So in my opinion, he isn't too old. He is improving and can continue to improve. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#18 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

He's been in North America just over a month and a half. He's the leading scorer on the Wings. He's adapted to the North American game amid a frantic condensed season without the luxury of a full training camp. These are great achievements that most have said exceed expectations. I think it's unrealistic to expect that his game would be fully rounded amid these factors. At least give him time.

Oh, and don't understand how you could perceive him as not working hard for the team.

#19 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

He's been in North America just over a month and a half. He's the leading scorer on the Wings. He's adapted to the North American game amid a frantic condensed season without the luxury of a full training camp. These are great achievements that most have said exceed expectations. I think it's unrealistic to expect that his game would be fully rounded amid these factors. At least give him time.

Oh, and don't understand how you could perceive him as not working hard for the team.

This.

I don't get it either, he works his a** off every shift he is on the ice, and he puts pucks in the net, some people are never happy though

#20 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Brunner works hard and is learning quite well so far. Hudler no comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users