• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Not that I don't adore discussing the things that we're terrible at but just for fun...What are some of your favorite things about the team this year?
I like seeing Ericsson step up the way we all hoped he would.
I don't like injuries but I've liked seeing a lot of the younger guys come out.
Brunner. Enough said.
I like the way Jimmy Howard responded to criticism from Babcock and started playing the way we know he can.
I love that Datsyuk joined Twitter...

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

The fact that they seem to win in spite of the absurd lineups Babcock seems to favor.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

The development of our young D has been awesome!

#4 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Samuelsson being out

bringit.jpg

#5 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

The fact that there is a season.
Brunner.
Tootoo.
Big Rigs goal with 4 seconds left against the Kings.
Hockey's best highlight reel - Datsyuk
Z's stepping up to the Captain task
Kathryn Tappen

#6 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

Guys like Tatar, Andersson, Lashoff, Emmerton, Kindl and Smith are seizing their opportunities and showing us they can play Red Wings hockey.   :thumbup:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#7 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Tatar, Tootoo, Brunner

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

The feelgood story of Dan Cleary.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

young guys looking good

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Brunner is up there. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#11 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

their ability to overcome all the controversy surrounding the d-corps following Lidstrom's retirement, and  my smile proving most LGW fans wrong, as I said from before the season started they will finish top 4 in the conference, and so far I have been right :)

#12 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Don't get too cocky Euro...  :lol:

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

Tootoo.  Love that guy.  Energy, fists- he's all that and a bucket of cheese.

The D finally starting to gel.  It took some time, especially with the injuries, but they're starting to look good- even Kindl has been pretty good lately.  Kronner seems to be settling into the number one position.  It can't have been easy given changes in partners, and his expanded role and responsibility, but he seems to be getting there.

Brunner has been quite a find.

The kids stepping up.  Loving the future.

The first goal of the season scored by none other than Brian Lashoff.  So much for betting with the odds.

Jim-my How-ard.

Patty Sunshine returning from concussion.

Sure, there are still some things we need to work on, but I'm not at all worried about the season or the future.

#14 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

Henrik Zetterberg as Captain.

Nothing seems to phase this guy. Quietly going about his business and putting up team-best numbers in his first season as skipper. As good as Hank is, I for one wasn't expecting the transition to be this seamless as it's been thus far. If the Captain is to be the man that is looked to as an example, we can thank Hank for the work rate these new guys and kids have been putting in.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Datsyuk putting the team on his back in Nashville. Oh and Abdelkader scoring all those goals on the second line HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

#16 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Tootoo, it's great to see more fights this year! and Brunner has been good. How well they have battled through all the injuries

IPB Image

#17 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:49 PM

Lashoff coming in and filling the void left by Stuart.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#18 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

• Finally seeing mid-level prospects getting a change to be significant contributors on the Wings instead of running out and trading more picks for veterans (well, even if it took injuries to Helm, Bertuzzi, and Coliaccovo to do it)
  • Damien Brunner's shoot-first-ask-questions-later approach
  • Datsyuk arguably playing as well or better due to his insane skill and incredible intelligence, even where his age suggests his physical tools should be winding down
  • Jimmy Howard standing on his head at several points this season, and Wings fans generally unified behind the quality of his play (even with GAA and SV% numbers that prompt non-Wings fans to claim he's struggling)
  • Any Wings game where GameCenter Live doesn't excessively buffer, pixelate, or cause Comcast to throttle my ethernet connection, requiring me to have to restart my modem and router for no apparent reason.

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

Zetterbergs-Hat-Trick-Powers-Wings-Past-

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think my favorite part is the development of the defense and the way the Red Wings have begun to win games lately. Babcock's lines annoy me sometimes, but he has done an unbelievable job with this group.

The transformation from a team that typically overwhelmed opponents with skill to a more grind it out philosophy is a major change, but fun to watch. Injuries have played a role for certain in the approach, though I don't think it's a bad thing at all the Red Wings are playing a simpler game and focusing on attention to detail. They can't win anymore outscoring teams or relying on skill to bail them out in troubling situations. The only way they can compete at a high level is to play with effort for as close to 60 minutes as possible and avoid costly mistakes. There have been huge leaps of improvement in that regard individually and as a team since that first night in St. Louis.

There are a lot of players that have been impressive too, particularly some of the youth that has gotten an opportunity. Tatar, Andersson, Smith and Kindl have all stepped up and proven to be NHL-quality players this season. Even someone like Emmerton has been far better than I ever anticipated in his role.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk have been exceptional. Brunner is exceeding expectations and looks to be a piece for the future. Ericsson is the best d-man on the team and remarkably reliable. Howard is performing much stronger as the defense in front of him isn't leaving him out to dry most nights now.

I don't know that we will be celebrating a championship in June, but I've had fun watching this roster kind of mold into a competitive team. Some of the major questions marks are becoming promising answers. I will admit the Red Wings are in better shape at this point than I would have guessed a few months ago. They need Helm and Filppula back because the schedule is about to get grueling. However, their play lately has inspired more confidence in me going forward.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."