• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bardownginos

The Race for Eight: Blue Jackets, Stars, Wings

Rate this topic

I cringe every time people on this forum declare that the Wings will win something. Similar to how they were going to beat fartsburgh in game 6 at home in '09. You know...cuz that happened :glare:

I am hardly one to be a spoil-sport, but I am a pretty firm believer in the saying "Don't count you chickens before they hatch". So..yeah, as far as I go, Wings might win 8th. They better work their butts off, too. Columbus deserves to be in the playoffs just as much (if not more than) as we do.

Guest irishock

Before you get too carried away, it's time for you to be brought back to 1970... We had everything going wrong for us from the offseason to the final day of the season. Gordie's sudden decline and management controversy over the Bobby Baun salary situation. Christ, giving the Leafs Norm Ullman 2 years back as well. We make the playoffs but BAM. 4-0 swept by Chicago in the first round.

Thankfully they didn't win the cup, or else we'd be looking at 11-5 right now.

Edited by irishock

Never assume something, before it actually happens this has just too much jinx potential to be honest.

Columbus still holds all the cards, Minnesotta is going to make it too so it will be hard fight till the end I guess.

Hmm. I'm a bit tired so maybe that is why I'm confused.

Detroit has a game in hand over Columbus, as well as the ROW tie breaker, while only being down by 1 point.

That is hardly all the cards...???

:zzz:

Detroit has a game in hand over Columbus, as well as the ROW tie breaker, while only being down by 1 point.

My bad, didn't look at the GP you are right, so if the Wings are winning all remaining games they make it but my point still stands:

talking about the playoffs can happen, as soon as the Detroit Red Wings are officially in.

The Red Wings WILL... play 3 more games this regular season. That's about the only thing that should be taken as a certainty.

I do appreciate the positive vibes the OP is attempting to toss out, I really do, but expect this thread to go nuclear should it not happen.

If Columbus wins out and gets ROW wins in both of their last games, they hold the tiebreakers with Detroit if they don't get another ROW. Plus they would have 55 pts. Detroit has three games and are one point behind, suppose they win two in overtime and lose one, they miss the playoffs. Suppose they win two in overtime and lose one in a shootout, they miss the playoffs. THAT IS RAZOR THIN!! If they Win one in OT and lose two in shootouts they miss the playoffs. This just shows you how awful we have been blowing easy games. They basically have to beat Dallas in regulation and one of the other two games games in regulation to have it more or less locked up. 5 of 6 points. This is like being down 3-1 in the playoffs.

Yep, Stars lost, Wild won, so let's just focus on the 8th spot (Minny would have to blow some more games to have any chance of being in real danger).

I disagree about the "down 3-1 in the Playoffs analogy". We have 3 games left, CLB has 2. They can get to 55 points, while we can get to 56. So we do "control our destiny" in that respect.

Also, with a two-game advantage in ROW (and an extra game to get one), I don't see CLB having the tiebreaker either. We have an LA team tonight traveling far east and playing back to back games, while we are more rested and at home.

We aren't "in the driver's seat" because we don't have more points than the 8th seed team, but we are also a game behind them right now, so that's deceptive.

Browner's dumb for extending out his elbow. He could have used his shoulder to protect himself in that situation, absolutely no need to extend your elbow. Especially when you're in possession of the puck.

Browner's dumb for extending out his elbow. He could have used his shoulder to protect himself in that situation, absolutely no need to extend your elbow. Especially when you're in possession of the puck.

Yeah, Datsyuk does virtually the same thing all the time along the boards, but instead of using his elbow he uses his shoulder and steps into the oncoming guy's chest. Brown needed to do that there, but used the elbow instead and got it up high. He's not a dirty player or anything, but a bonehead play.

as it looks today, we need Columbus to lose one game and then that would give us a one game mulligan...

we have 50pts and possibly 6 more available

they have 51pts and possible 4 more available...

winning two games each would force us to get at least a tie point in Dallas...Really, the ONLY game I am worried about is that Dallas game. The Wings seem to play pretty well against LA and own Nashville, so if they can get 4 points right away, I will feel good about the Dallas game, unless Columbus gets 4 points too...We need Columbus to drop one (preferably in regulation) and we need 4 points before Sunday...not 2, not 3, FOUR.

7th place is not out of reach yet either unless Minny wins both of their remaining games, but let them drop one and Detroit could very well leap over them on Sunday! Hell, even both Minny and St, Louis drop the next two in a row and Detroit wins 3 in regulation we would be tied for 6th, both St. Louis and Detroit having 22 ROW...in that case it would come down to the last deciding factor to determine our seed because:

Detroit and St. Louis will both have 22 ROW - tie

Head to Head they have played 5 times, according the NHL rules your throwout the first game (Detroit Loss) and then sort by record of the remaining four games..... 2-2. tie...

It would then come down to goals for/against differential for the entire season, which right now belongs to St. Louis @ +9 and Detroit is +1. I think overcoming a -8 difference is way too much to ask, but a couple a shutout either way and you never know!

Funny thing is, we win tonight and leap over Columbus...tomorrow Columbus plays Dallas...ugh. Who do you root for? ugh! I'd say Dallas and then damn well better take out Nashville next so Sunday's game means nothing...if we lose to LA and Dallas beats Columbus, then Columbus beats Nashville, it makes BOTH Nashville and Dallas must win games....yuck, this is messy.

So basically, like I said, take care of business now and beat LA and Nashville and then Sunday you could get the 1 point and be good. Unless Columbus drops both, then I think Dallas and Columbus will both be out....bottom line win all three and keep the "streak" alive!

If the Wings win tonight AND tomorrow AND the Stars beat the Jackets in regulation tomorrow, we're in. Doesn't matter what happens at Dallas on Saturday. I say if that happens we rest some guys for round one.

If the Wings win tonight AND tomorrow AND the Stars beat the Jackets in regulation tomorrow, we're in. Doesn't matter what happens at Dallas on Saturday. I say if that happens we rest some guys for round one.

I would almost rather Dallas win in a SO though, considering they still hold the tiebreak in the ROW column just in case. Because even if Columbus got the point tomorrow then beat Nashville they AND we lost to Dallas, we would hold the tie break against Columbus in ROW. I would just hate for Dallas to have that over our head and just muck up the game and shoot for the shootout to beat us somehow.

I do like how you simplified it though. It's pretty much what I was thinking, win the 4 points now and not have to worry about Sunday too much. And if Columbus does us a favor and loses in regulation either to Dallas or Nashville, Sunday is a practice day!

It is but some people think teams might just roll over or "not do us any favors" cuz they're already out. There's still incentive there.

esteef

Exactly! I see three tough games...gotta get ahead by two and maintain it! Enough of these 1 goal leads with 5:00 mins to go in the game.