• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bardownginos

The Race for Eight: Blue Jackets, Stars, Wings

Rate this topic

Columbus won't make it in. Not enough games vs too tough of competition.

Dallas is your only worry, but both teams have 2 games that wash (vs Van, vs LA) in terms of schedule. From this vantage point, it looks like game 48 determines who goes.

I don't know how or why you referenced Gaborik, but anyway...

The 'minor tweak' you elude to is not as simple as you are making it out to be. If reports are to be believed, then he did look into possible trades, but ultimately decided that asking prices were too high. I'm not going to dive into a debate on what those prices were, but signs point to draft picks and prospects as being the things that Holland didn't want to relinquish. Keeping those things points to a long term strategy as opposed to a short term gain.

Making the playoffs is nice, but fan egos aside, an extended summer for both the players and staff might do them some good after 21 seasons of extended play.

You suggested that I would've had Holland "Sacrifice draft picks, players, and long term sustainability all for 4-7 extra games." That, to me, is essentially a Gaborik, or another high-end-ish player of his ilk. Iginla, perhaps.

I could do without the condescension, the you-don't-really-understand bit. I could also do without this look-the bottom-line-is-Kenny's-hands-are-completely-tied mentality that so many here seem to stand by as unequivocal fact.

Do I believe Holland had a lot of options this season? Not at all. I followed the deadline very, very closely. Every GM and his mother wanted a top-sixer. And, yes, I realize that, in general, the price for even a relatively middling bottom-sixer is high enough to make you really sit and wonder if it wouldn't be worth standing pat.

But, you know what? We've been doing this there's-nothing-we-can-do-but-take-it-up-the-ass-and-like-it song and dance for several seasons now, and, all the while, we've been slipping and sliding down the slope. We were the class of the West (if not the League) when we took the Pens to seven. Now? Now our M.O. is "Suck and settle."

I'd be more understanding if this "rebuild" and "youth movement" weren't just the latest excuse.

But now I'm derailing the thread.

I'll tell you what: these Blue Jackets? They are a joy to watch.

If Nash misses the playoffs and Gaborik makes it...blood bath in the Big Apple.

All the s*** storms whipped up here about cbj possibly beating us out and it being an all time low for Wings is misplaced.

.Cbj aint a bad team by any standard. Watch some hockey and get some perspective.

If they beat us out they deserve it.

Every team has their come up... We used to beat the tar out of the Hawks, Jacks, Blues and if we dont make the playoffs this year we dont deserve it.

I am optimistic though!'

The jackets are no joke....they play hard, urgent and deperate with somthing to prove:)

Edited by beachwing

If Columbus and Dallas both lose tonight, then it's solely in the Wings hands to make the playoffs. No excuses, but if the aforementioned should win tonight, I'm not so confident. I know Howard will bounce back Saturday in Vancouver and we've played well against them all year, and still have 3 home games remaining. It looks really good on paper, lets see how it plays out.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Columbus won't make it in. Not enough games vs too tough of competition.

Dallas is your only worry, but both teams have 2 games that wash (vs Van, vs LA) in terms of schedule. From this vantage point, it looks like game 48 determines who goes.

I totally disagree here. Columbus is playing the best hockey in our division right now. They have won the last 5 in a row, 3 of which they came from behind. Bobbrovski has been unreal.....second in the league in save percentage at .931. They were in 13th spot before the trade deadline and they have played hard, physical hockey and deserve to be where they are. We have a game in hand but the last 5 games they have NOT been playing the oilers....they have consecutive wins against SJ, St. Louis! Minny, Col and Anaheim last night. Everyone on that team is contributing and they frighten me. Detroit needs to take a page out of that book....never say die, never give up and keep it SIMPLE! Let's hope we can do that

You suggested that I would've had Holland "Sacrifice draft picks, players, and long term sustainability all for 4-7 extra games." That, to me, is essentially a Gaborik, or another high-end-ish player of his ilk. Iginla, perhaps.

I could do without the condescension, the you-don't-really-understand bit. I could also do without this look-the bottom-line-is-Kenny's-hands-are-completely-tied mentality that so many here seem to stand by as unequivocal fact.

Do I believe Holland had a lot of options this season? Not at all. I followed the deadline very, very closely. Every GM and his mother wanted a top-sixer. And, yes, I realize that, in general, the price for even a relatively middling bottom-sixer is high enough to make you really sit and wonder if it wouldn't be worth standing pat.

But, you know what? We've been doing this there's-nothing-we-can-do-but-take-it-up-the-ass-and-like-it song and dance for several seasons now, and, all the while, we've been slipping and sliding down the slope. We were the class of the West (if not the League) when we took the Pens to seven. Now? Now our M.O. is "Suck and settle."

I'd be more understanding if this "rebuild" and "youth movement" weren't just the latest excuse.

But now I'm derailing the thread.

I'll tell you what: these Blue Jackets? They are a joy to watch.

If Nash misses the playoffs and Gaborik makes it...blood bath in the Big Apple.

I understand your frustration in the Wings decline, but the fact remains that the Detroit Red Wings are the LAST of an extinct breed called a 'dynasty' in any sport, nevermind just the NHL. Decades of winning hockey have greatly skewed all of our expectations for this team.

I'm not going to sit here and say you're wrong in your opinion or that trades couldn't have been made. What I am saying, is that as terribly perceived as things are at the moment, there are much MUCH worse scenarios and teams than the Wings right now. You lament a season that occurred 4 years ago, while a franchise like Toronto is just getting into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I think some perspective is required with the situation in Detroit.

This 'class of the league' you speak of changes from month to month in the NHL now. The Red Wings dynasty of old is dead, and the longer that you try and hold onto that and believe that it can be recaptured, the longer you're going to be unhappy.

What I am ultimately getting at here, is that there is/was no other team like the Detroit Red Wings in the NHL, so any rebuilding/re-tooling that this team does has ZERO blueprint. We've retired more Hall of Famer's in the past 3 years than some teams have retired in their entire existence in the NHL. Replacing them isn't a 1-for-1 deal and no matter who you bring in, they'll always pale in comparison to the Lidstroms/Rafalskis/Drapers/etc. These losses are meteoric for any team, let alone one with the history and pedigree of Detroit. The fact that the Wings are even in the playoff conversation is astonishing yet nobody wants to give the management credit for that, they'd rather see trades and action in an attempt to keep an already ridiculous playoff streak alive.

This cheque has been in the mail for a season like this ever since the Cup win, and now that the bill is here, not a lot of the fans seem to want to pay it.

It will be fun. BJ's have 1 fewer games to play and 2 points ahead, Stars have 1 more game than us and are 2 points behind. We have the tie breakers over BJ's but the Stars have the tie breaker over us. It will come down to the last game vs the Stars. The winner of that game gets to play Chicago in the 1st round.

It will be fun. BJ's have 1 fewer games to play and 2 points ahead, Stars have 1 more game than us and are 2 points behind. We have the tie breakers over BJ's but the Stars have the tie breaker over us. It will come down to the last game vs the Stars. The winner of that game gets to play Chicago in the 1st round.

I REAAALLLLY hope that isn't the case. Dallas always brings it there against the Wings.

This team is playing their worst hockey at the worst time. I have zero faith in them and would be surprised if they made the playoffs. They're going to need A LOT of help from other teams, because they aren't going to suddenly flip a switch. Frustrating season.

I bet we're playing spoiler by the time we play Dallas.

Edited by Tr!PoD#19

I REAAALLLLY hope that isn't the case. Dallas always brings it there against the Wings.

Then again Dallas always has a thing for screwing up games that would allow them into the playoffs. Call it a wash!

I totally disagree here. Columbus is playing the best hockey in our division right now. They have won the last 5 in a row, 3 of which they came from behind. Bobbrovski has been unreal.....second in the league in save percentage at .931. They were in 13th spot before the trade deadline and they have played hard, physical hockey and deserve to be where they are. We have a game in hand but the last 5 games they have NOT been playing the oilers....they have consecutive wins against SJ, St. Louis! Minny, Col and Anaheim last night. Everyone on that team is contributing and they frighten me. Detroit needs to take a page out of that book....never say die, never give up and keep it SIMPLE! Let's hope we can do that

I agree with you, watching the last couple CBJ games really impressed me as far as the passion they're playing with. They're hungry, and they want a playoff spot way more than the Wings seem to.

This is more stressful than an elimination game in the playoffs? I think not. lol .

I am definitely just as stressed as I am during the playoffs. These ARE elimination games...the team just doesn't seem to notice that.

I'm going to go with us missing the playoffs (I know, a bold prediction at this point). Columbus seems to be a force right now... I think they are the team that will edge us out for 8th.

Our offense is just stagnant at the moment. That being said, I do have high hopes for us moving forward. A real shame we had so many injuries this year. I do believe a healthy Bert, Sammy, and Helm would have made us a solid team this year, at least good for 4th, 5th or 6th in the conference. Even if they only played half a season each... our offense just couldn't absorb their loss, being not as deep as we have been in years past. It's not just the numbers they put up, but the pressure they relieve from other players, and the overall solidification of our lines they would bring.

Hey, at least I will get to cancel my cable a bit earlier this year. :D On a side note, I very much hope I am wrong.

Maybe the BJ's are doing really good cause their young players like Calvert and Atkinson are getting loads of icetime, the kind Nyquist and Tatar should have been getting all year. That and they traded 3 ok players and a 6th round pick for the sniper WE NEEDED!

I understand your frustration in the Wings decline, but the fact remains that the Detroit Red Wings are the LAST of an extinct breed called a 'dynasty' in any sport, nevermind just the NHL. Decades of winning hockey have greatly skewed all of our expectations for this team.

I'm not going to sit here and say you're wrong in your opinion or that trades couldn't have been made. What I am saying, is that as terribly perceived as things are at the moment, there are much MUCH worse scenarios and teams than the Wings right now. You lament a season that occurred 4 years ago, while a franchise like Toronto is just getting into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I think some perspective is required with the situation in Detroit.

This 'class of the league' you speak of changes from month to month in the NHL now. The Red Wings dynasty of old is dead, and the longer that you try and hold onto that and believe that it can be recaptured, the longer you're going to be unhappy.

What I am ultimately getting at here, is that there is/was no other team like the Detroit Red Wings in the NHL, so any rebuilding/re-tooling that this team does has ZERO blueprint. We've retired more Hall of Famer's in the past 3 years than some teams have retired in their entire existence in the NHL. Replacing them isn't a 1-for-1 deal and no matter who you bring in, they'll always pale in comparison to the Lidstroms/Rafalskis/Drapers/etc. These losses are meteoric for any team, let alone one with the history and pedigree of Detroit. The fact that the Wings are even in the playoff conversation is astonishing yet nobody wants to give the management credit for that, they'd rather see trades and action in an attempt to keep an already ridiculous playoff streak alive.

This cheque has been in the mail for a season like this ever since the Cup win, and now that the bill is here, not a lot of the fans seem to want to pay it.

This

Edited by Hey man nice shot!

Maybe the BJ's are doing really good cause their young players like Calvert and Atkinson are getting loads of icetime, the kind Nyquist and Tatar should have been getting all year. That and they traded 3 ok players and a 6th round pick for the sniper WE NEEDED!

"We like our guys overripe"

"We like our depth"

"Know the system, had success here in the past"

"We made a competitive offer"

"Puck luck"

"Keep doin' what we're doin' and things are bound to turn around"

tumblr_lm5bvelvTL1qercd3o1_500.gif

This

Agreed and the LA Lakers just went thru the exact same ordeal. Championship expectations or else.

Hell, Rome fell too, it happens.

Ive said it since week 3.....if Babs gets em in the playoffs he's coach of the year!

I still feel like people don't realize that we actually played well last night. They only had 17 shots, remember. We put on 34. We Were buzzing. Not much you can do about a goalie standing on his head.

The Wings did play pretty well. The only issue is I have seen that high shot total before with nothing to show for goals. Namely the series against Nashville where they peppered Rinne.

The Red Wings still play on the perimeter too much and many of their shots are rather harmless. They can't or in some players cases (Franzen and Filppula stand out) won't go to the tough areas of the ice to score goals.

This team desperately needs some size and goal-scoring ability on the wing.

The Wings did play pretty well. The only issue is I have seen that high shot total before with nothing to show for goals. Namely the series against Nashville where they peppered Rinne.

The Red Wings still play on the perimeter too much and many of their shots are rather harmless. They can't or in some players cases (Franzen and Filppula stand out) won't go to the tough areas of the ice to score goals.

This. We have the problem that we had back when were getting knocked out early in the playoffs between 2002 and 2008. We're always on the outside and the chances are low quality. Except now, in contrast to that time, we also don't really have much talent to speak of.

I truly believe that Homer's retirement has gone massively, massively under-recognized.

The coaching staff still appear to be implementing an offensive system that saw Lidstrom launch slap-passes at the net and try for a Homer tip or rebound. The only problem with this is that they are missing two key parts to it; namely, Lidstrom and Homer.

I truly believe that Homer's retirement has gone massively, massively under-recognized.

The coaching staff still appear to be implementing an offensive system that saw Lidstrom launch slap-passes at the net and try for a Homer tip or rebound. The only problem with this is that they are missing two key parts to it; namely, Lidstrom and Homer.

Very good point I fully agree just wanted to add something:

The Detroit Red Wings used to outskill almost every other team, these guys aren't prepared to work hard and grind it out nor does Babcock haas the roster to do it. I always thought, that Holmer was extremely underrated, he was one of the best ever to position himself in front of the net and screen the goalie, we have no one even close to that category now.

Going forward this team needs to become a hardnosed defense first team, because sadly they aren't going to outskill anyone for quite some time, they are getting outskill and outworked (which does bother me way more) ,because a bubble playoffteam should work their hardest at this time of the year.

I agree to the post above as well.

about the skill thing. I find our bottom six thinking too much that they are top six. there is not enough of a grinding aspect to their game. they're too soft right now thinking they can out skill when they cannot.

get back to your game bottom six....hit, grind, dump and chase.

this team lacks an identity.