• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Should Howard be benched?

Rate this topic

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the Ducks taking the momentum away after last night's loss I feel it's time for a goaltending change. Howard looks lost whenever the Ducks are within like 10 feet of the crease. He's been letting in soft goals all series, and rarely makes any big saves. I'm having a flashback to the 2008 season when Hasek was pulled for Osgood and then we started to pick up our game. The defense probably feels helpless because they're afraid to make a single mistake now because they know it will end up in the back of the net. It's Howard's job to bail out SOME of these mistakes, but he rarely does.

If you take a look at where Howard ranks so far in the playoffs for GAA and SV %, he is currently sitting at 15th place. That's an absolute joke.

4vmpdx.png

What does everyone else think? Is it time to bench Jimmy?

We had Osgood when Hasek rode the pine. Had it been the other way around, we'd have had Hasek when Osgood sat.

They had been identical during the regular season. There was no bad choice- it was a matter of riding the hot one.

Now we have Jimmy, who has had many vital saves and.... who is it again? Oh, yeah, Monster, who has played so little that he's barely registering on our collective radar.

Bench Jimmy? Nay! Rather, pray that he doesn't get injured!

Howard isn't the issue, but I'll agree he needs to play better. But along with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Kronwall etc. When you get shutout the goalie should be far down on the list of issues.

If we had a goalie like Vokuon I'd be all for making a switch, just to try and stir up something for the team. Howard remains our best option.

Touchy subject.....sure he let in a few bad goals, but so do most if not all goalies...if we had a viable back up plan, sure I wouldn't mind seeing a change to see it would change some momentum, but mostly for that reason, not because Jimmy is bad. It happened in 08, Hasek had a couple of bad outings and Osgood came in a played Conn Smythe hockey...I don't think Monster is Osgood. So making a change for the sake of making a change would not work this time. Gustavsson just isn't that good to come in and change the momentum...but who am I to evaluate talent?

I think two goals last night were goals that Howard could have had, but it happens. Great goalie bounce back and we will see what he brings tomorrow. I certainly hope he bounces back, because as mentioned above, Gustavsson is not the goalie to come in and stop the bleeding...fortunately, Howard played good most the game and only had a couple of snafu's. Does he need to be benched? No, but he does need to steal a game or two starting tomorrow...oh, and the Wings need to score some goals, so a soft goal against doesn't hurt so bad...

Edited by LeftWinger

Would you feel better if we lost last night 1-0 instead of 4-0? The fact that we scored ONE GOAL in our two losses combined doesn't strike you as a problem? It's howard's fault? Like I said, NO. And I think the voting results are starting to balance out how absurd of a thread this is.

We can't score so you want to bench our goalie? Do you realize that this is a team sport and if we started benching guys based on poor play or bad breaks that their would be probably 15 other guys benched as well? If you want to flame somebody over the loss then why not Brunner or the fact that the D was awful.

Howard is a stud. He's the reason we're even in the playoffs and will probably have to be the reason we advance, if we do. There is really no option to bench him. Teams lose games sometimes and that makes the starting goaltender's stats ugly.

I just find it funny that this season when the Wings cannot score its their teams fault...rightly so...but in 2003 when the Wings couldn't score it was CuJo's fault...I understand the love for Howard, but its the same situation. The Wings must score to win. Goalies need to make the big stops all the time, but that won't ever happen. Bad goals happen. You just have to score to win.

Uh, no. The game was already gone when we were down 2-0 last night. We didn't score on 5 (I think) power plays at that point and couldn't sustain any pressure in their zone. Howard hasn't cost us a game yet. The comeback in Game 2 is something to be nervous about but the Ducks have one of the best records in the league this season, they know how to push back when they need to and they did that. They completely outplayed the entire team when they were down 4-1 and the Wings let up. Has he let in a few soft goals? Of course but nothing that cost us games. He was making great saves all night until their 5 minute power play.

No. hell No. hell the F$%k No! Howard is the reason we are in the playoffs. it is not his fault that this team can't score, plays far to soft, and leaves him out to dry all game long. There isn't a G in the league that is going to do a better job with this team in front of him. We made it to the PO's and are rebuilding at the same time. if you thought this was a team that was going to make a deep run, you are kidding yourself. It isn't and will not. But none of thta has to do with Howard.

He has to steal game 3. It's critical for his team, for his confidence and for the series. He needs to shake off the last 2 games and play like he did the last 5 games- 2 shutouts. Huge game for Jimmy....moreso than anyone on this team. He is a competitor....il think he bounces back

He has to steal game 3. It's critical for his team, for his confidence and for the series. He needs to shake off the last 2 games and play like he did the last 5 games- 2 shutouts. Huge game for Jimmy....moreso than anyone on this team. He is a competitor....il think he bounces back

ummmm game 3 was last night and we lost 0-4! LOL, I know you meant game 4.

Howard is a stud. He's the reason we're even in the playoffs and will probably have to be the reason we advance, if we do. There is really no option to bench him. Teams lose games sometimes and that makes the starting goaltender's stats ugly.

If I could "like" this about 1,000 times, I would.

The problem is there is no rallying when we're behind, so if he lets in 1 soft goal and we're losing it's over. We can't come back in games and we can't afford to be behind.