#1 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Saddledome submerged as flood ravages Calgary

Story

EDMONTON - Flood waters have ravaged Calgary's Stampede grounds -- including the Saddledome, home of the NHL Flames -- as the city's two rivers crest on Friday.

Water has flooded the 19,289-capacity arena, completely submerging as of noon Friday the lower level reportedly as high as Row 14 of seating, almost to the level of luxury-box seating.

The Flames dressing room is under water, and the Saddledome's Jumbotron and other equipment are reportedly ruined as it rests on the arena floor.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#2 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

The team and the stadium are all washed out.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#3 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

That really sucks. Hopefully they can get everything fixed before the season starts again.

#4 Nicholonio

Nicholonio

est. 1989, representin'.

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

The team and the stadium are all washed out.

Solid joke, sir. Solid joke.

With that said, this is horrible news. Hopefully they can recover everything. Jarome got out in the knick of time.

#5 RedWingfaninCO

RedWingfaninCO

4th Line Grinder

• HoF Booster
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

We could really use some of that water here in CO.  We've got 7 active wildfires going right now, two others were just contained this past week.  Too bad it can't be transported.  I feel bad for them.  Disasters are no picnic.

#6 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Crazy for those people up there - I've been following Maria Camacho's pictures up from that area (she's sort of like the fan avatar for the Wings on Twitter - a la Lauren Ashley for Devils), and they're surreal.

I had not heard about the Jumbotron being damaged, that's terrible.  Introduce water to a populated area, and there's no way to even predict the extent of damage it will cause.

#7 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:17 PM

As awful a franchise the Flames are, you don't wish this stuff on nobody.

#8 pazzloski

pazzloski

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

So if the stadium is unusable when the nhl season starts where would the flames play? 

#9 ami

ami

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

I've heard of unusual amount of rain in Pennsylvania. Does anybody know if mario house is anywhere close to some river?...

#10 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:39 PM

So if the stadium is unusable when the nhl season starts where would the flames play? 

There may be an arena available in Phoenix (Glendale).

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#11 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,659 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

With all the flooding we've had in Fargo since I've moved here, I know how bad this can totally suck.

Thoughts and prayers are with the people of Calgary.

Hopefully no one has been/will be hurt or killed from this.  Losing stuff is bad.  People are a whole 'nother level of bad.

No worry about the Flames though.  Their play extinguished them before the water got there. <---obligatory bad joke in an otherwise serious post.

Money on the board:  Current total: 0

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#12 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

First analysis is that the amount of damages might be high enough that the Saddledome could be considered a loss, since they've wanted a new barn for some time. Hearing rumors of Saskatoon being a temporary home.

I don't see why an extremely heavy road schedule for the first few months with some Edmonton/Saskatoon "home games" sprinkled in wouldn't work.... That's if they even decide to save the arena.

They could also be Bettman's guinea pigs in Seattle's Key Arena, or the Colisee in QC. That would be dumb enough for him to try.

IPB Image

#13 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:37 PM

There may be an arena available in Phoenix (Glendale).

I see what you did there. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

It's all Hudler's fault.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#15 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:50 AM

Sad news, hopefully nobody has been injured, killed and the insurances are helping them out with rebuilding the lost stuff. As for the saddledome, thats tough the Flames better prepare for another place to play in what if they don't find one? Would they even allowed to play out the season?

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#16 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Actually quite sad.

It is so hard to prepare for something like this until it happens, and then it is too late. Sounds like it will be an expensive and time consuming process. Hope it goes as well as it can.

Posted Image

#17 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

With the Joe being so close to the river, this one hits a little too close to home. Granted, I realize the height at which the Joe sits, but damn, nature gives exactly zero s***s.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Wingsfan4life19

Wingsfan4life19

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Going to take the Flames a long time to empty out the Saddledome with only 1 cup...

1 ticket to Hell please. Window Seat. Thanks!

#19 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

No arena and no Kipper.  Not a good time to be a Flames fan.  I feel bad for them, losing their memories and their barn... but hockey people are tough.  They will figure out a way to carry on.  Wishing the best to the displaced folks in Calgary, hope everyone can stay safe.

I agree that I wish we could share some of that water here.  Five years of drought complete with wild fires every summer is getting a bit scary here.   When it finally does rain, we're gonna flood, too.  Mother Nature at work!

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#20 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

It is horrible in Calgary. People lost their lives, homes. Many will loose jobs and face straggle. I hope this ends soon and people recover. I also hope the NHL and Canada finds a new home for Flames. Hockey will win !

Edited by arag, 22 June 2013 - 10:30 AM.