• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jamcar1984

Wings in on Alfredsson

Rate this topic

Here's how I feel about this:

Alfredsson is not a bad player. But we need a goal-scorer. We need more than 15-20 goals next year, and he's likely only to get that many.

I don't care about us getting "soft." Toughness is overrated. Like others have said before me, you need to be some degree of tough, but the toughest teams don't necessarily go anywhere.

I guess he wouldn't hurt us, but he doesn't fit anywhere in particular. He doesn't replace Flip, but maybe it allows Franzen to move to center. He doesn't give us goals, which we desperately need. But maybe if he played with Datsyuk or something? I don't know, I'm really lukewarm about this. I don't hate it, especially if it's cheap, but this can't be our "big move."

He helps us maintain the status quo for losing the points of Flip and maybe Brunner, but only for a year. But we still haven't addressed the problems we had before the season ended. Getting back to where we were in May doesn't qualify as a successful off-season.

I mean, let's look at the lineup with Alfie in it.

Alfredsson-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary/Brunner?

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Bertuzzi-Emmerton-Samuellson

Miller, Eaves, Tootoo

Does that look stronger than last season's? No. We can hope Nyquist and Tatar can turn into top 6 guys this season, but I'd rather not just hope to chance while we have cap space. And 6 million for Alfredsson to put up Filppula-like numbers (50 points) is horrific.But I guess for a one-year deal year you have to overpay.

Hearing Dallas is in the mix for Dan Cleary. That would open the door for Alfie to wear 11.

Yeah, per Pierre LeBrun - Dallas is in the mix, too.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Dallas and Detroit are in the mix for UFA winger Dan Cleary...
I hope he signs in Dallas for multiple reasons, not the least of which is reading the posts lauding Nill for being a better GM than Holland for luring Cleary away.

Actually it's quite on par with the Red Wings track record.

Very true. But, I mean, Alfredsson specifically. If you'd told me last week that he'd up-and-leave the Sens and bolt for Motown, well, I woulda said U CRAYZEE. Though I did get the sense (pun) he was real unhappy with something or other in Sens World during that whole "Yeah, we basically suck" thing.

Supposedly it's down to Dallas & Detroit for Cleary.

More rumors on the question of why Alfie's leaving Ottawa:

Why is Daniel Alfredsson leaving the only team he's known, Ottawa? Hearing Senators low-balled him.

Let Dallas have Cleary please.

Also Ottawa low-balled him? lol

He is 40 year's old. Did Alfie think they would high ball him? lol

Yeah Brunner went 5 and 4 in 14 games and was a plus 2

Alfie went 4 and 4 in 10 games and was a plus 5

So your sarcastic point about me missing the playoffs is pretty irrelevant!

Brunner is a lot younger thank Alfie and can continue to do that for us for years. Not jsut one. As long as we keep Brunner and sign Grabo, I will be happy with signing Alfie as extra.

Guest Playmaker

Hearing Dallas is in the mix for Dan Cleary. That would open the door for Alfie to wear 11.

Okay, there is a small ray of sunshine in this

I agree with VM, he does not fill the main void with this team, a sniper.

Unfortunately Mule is supposed to fill that void, he was picked over Hossa, he was supposed to be the scoring machine the Wing's need.

However he is more often playing like Johan Franzen instead of the Mule!

Brunner is a lot younger thank Alfie and can continue to do that for us for years. Not jsut one. As long as we keep Brunner and sign Grabo, I will be happy with signing Alfie as extra.

You are banking a lot on the future of a guy who was unable to keep up with the NHL pace over a half season, he is yet to play a full season in the league and you are extrapolating what he can do based off of what he did in a very small sample size.

I am basing what Alfie can do over a long career worth of accomplishments.

Brunner is an unknown commodity and has people feeling giddy with hope, Alfie is a guy who you know what you are going to get, and that is not nearly as exciting as Brunner's potential.

Also while Brunner is a lot younger than Alfie he is not a 20 year old rookie, he is 27, there is a reason it took him until the age of 27 to be discovered!

f*** cleary.. bring in Alfie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, this is kinda my thinking at the moment. And, y'know what, I think it's Holland's as well.

My guess is, Holland realized Cleary was/is probably gone, which, like him or hate him, would leave a grizzled-leadership-and-clutch-playoffs-play void on our roster.

Alfredsson would be an all-around upgrade. Guy is a warrior. A hungry warrior. With a chip on his shoulder.

Again, I'm not the biggest fan of this idea ("Alfie" coming here), but it's not the abomination people are making it ot to be.

Edited by Dabura

Where the f*** are we finding the roster space for these signings?

Have a feeling the organization is taking the approach of seeing who plays their way onto the roster in camp & will make adjustments (trades, waivers) before the start of the season. I would think the bubble players would be the Eaves, Emmertons, Tootoos, Tatars, Samuelssons, etc.

FYI:

Now a domino game. #Stars offer better for Dan Cleary than #Redwings. Det step up or save the cash for #Panthers Stephen Weiss offer.

Edited by ogreslayer

You are banking a lot on the future of a guy who was unable to keep up with the NHL pace over a half season, he is yet to play a full season in the league and you are extrapolating what he can do based off of what he did in a very small sample size.

I am basing what Alfie can do over a long career worth of accomplishments.

Brunner is an unknown commodity and has people feeling giddy with hope, Alfie is a guy who you know what you are going to get, and that is not nearly as exciting as Brunner's potential.

Also while Brunner is a lot younger than Alfie he is not a 20 year old rookie, he is 27, there is a reason it took him until the age of 27 to be discovered!

Following your logic we should just trade all our draft picks for known players then because we can predict their output.

I find it somewhat refreshing to see a tweet that stated “Alfie wanted a shot at a Cup before retirement.” Shows that DRW may still be “it” franchise for veterans wanting to win. Maybe not so much with the younger crew, but could be nice if it rubs off on some of them. Or maybe the Wings could just win a Cup again and do it the old fashioned way!

Given the choice between overpaying Brunner due to a bidding war(as it appears Brunner wants to test the market) or Alfie in this instance I pick Alfie.

But if you are asking me do we trade a pick for Alfie or draft Sequin, Hall, Stamkos, etc...

I take the draft pick.

See I am not assigning my logic to all situations, I use logic based on the individual circumstance.

I know that may seem weird to some, but I actually look at each transaction as a one off situation, there is no fix all tool.

Edit: This is response to Dirty Dangle, the gap between our posts was bigger than I thought it would be!

Edited by Opie