SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

So petty.

2011 = Stanley Cup Champs
2013 = Runner Up

Boston is not an easy team to play against.

Not saying they're easy play against. I'm just saying you shouldn't think WE'RE that easy to play against.

There's a reason they lost to Chicago.

Edited by SaCkaveli20, 09 July 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#22 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

Datsyuk will dangle-handle them all :)

#23 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

we cannot afford to lose 1 game in 6 to them

This is a little bit over the top.  Expecting to win out against good teams in your division is unrealistic.  We won zero games against the Hawks last year and zero against Columbus and still made the playoffs.  We don't have to beat them every game, we don't  even have to split with them.  Obviously I'd prefer if we did, but if not, it isn't the end of the world. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#24 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Teams have been trying to man handle us for 20+ years.  I think our track record stands alone. We have outclassed and out disciplined teams in that time frame.  The bigger, badder, tougher argument is such a load of garbage around here and it has been since I joined this forum 11 years ago.  Get some new material.  Datsyuk and Z will go into the corners with anyone and most of the time come out with the puck.  9 out of 10 fights now is a staged gong show and does nothing for the momentum of the game like it used to. 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#25 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

This is a little bit over the top.  Expecting to win out against good teams in your division is unrealistic.  We won zero games against the Hawks last year and zero against Columbus and still made the playoffs.  We don't have to beat them every game, we don't  even have to split with them.  Obviously I'd prefer if we did, but if not, it isn't the end of the world. 

we beat Columbus in the SO we did win once

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#26 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Teams have been trying to man handle us for 20+ years.  I think our track record stands alone. We have outclassed and out disciplined teams in that time frame.  The bigger, badder, tougher argument is such a load of garbage around here and it has been since I joined this forum 11 years ago.  Get some new material.  Datsyuk and Z will go into the corners with anyone and most of the time come out with the puck.  9 out of 10 fights now is a staged gong show and does nothing for the momentum of the game like it used to. 

You should send a memo to the league since you have it all figured out and they all are still outfitting their teams with fighters.  I mean somebody just signed George Parros for God's sake!  Hurry man!

esteef 

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#27 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

So petty.

2011 = Stanley Cup Champs
2013 = Runner Up

Boston is not an easy team to play against.

Actually, the legitimate point is how we played against them, as SaCkaveli20 suggested. 

The Wings have no control over how well Boston plays (i.e. the playoff success in '11 and '13 to which you're alluding).  They only have control over how they themselves play against Boston, which, as was just demonstrated, has been exceptionally well.

#28 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

Datsyuk will dangle-handle them all :)

I  don't want Datsyuk to handle anyone's dangle.

If he knew that was expected of him, he would have went home to Russia for sure.

Eff Chicago

#29 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Lucic and Chara will manhandle us.

Manhandle like this?

I'll take it.

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

So what if they have fighters? Who is going to fight them? As for being tough, that doesn't automatically override skill.

People need to stop worrying. They probably won't even play their goons against us because we aren't a cheap shot team. And you can't stop Chara from doing what he does. People need to stop worrying. The Wings have played and beaten tough teams before

This.  I can't stand hearing how "big" the East is and how much the Red Wings need to change to become more like those teams.  If you don't like the fact that the stars of this team are European guys with skill as opposed to large centers who hit people and throw pissy fits at the end of games (Getzlaf), go root for another team.  When people say the "East is big", all they really mean is "Boston is big".  And when you say "Boston", all you really mean is Chara and Lucic.  Cripes, Boston has Krug and Marchand on their team too!

Glad this breed of Wings fan wasn't on message boards in 1997 - Lindros was SO much BIGGER than Yzerman that series.  Turns out you can skate and pass around people. :)

#31 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

When I say the EAST is big, I mean it otherwhise I would say Boston is big (which they obviously are).

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#32 RedWingCraig

RedWingCraig

Rookie

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Lucic and Chara will manhandle us.

Gonna be hard to manhandle anyone when they both get Kronwalled

#33 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

http://mirtle.blogsp...ht-and-age.html

Is there really any extreme discernible advantage, anywhere?

Detroit is taller on average than Boston ... surprised?

#34 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's getting a little weird in here with all of this "manhandling" that has been going on...

#35 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

i think at least half the threads here have a discussion on size and toughness

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

http://mirtle.blogsp...ht-and-age.html

Is there really any extreme discernible advantage, anywhere?

Detroit is taller on average than Boston ... surprised?

Yes but Detroit has some big men who don't play very big.  Franzen, Kindl, even Bertuzzi to a degree. They're all over 215 lbs and 6'3".  And if they include goalies, Gustavsson is 6'3". 

There's really no question Boston plays a more physical game than the Wings.  As for wether that makes them better or more likely to win is another matter.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

i think at least half the threads here have a discussion on size and toughness

:lol:  it's that time of year.  Moving to the east is making it an even bigger topic than usual. 

Detroit's blueline is the best it's been in a while in terms of overall size.  They're more able to hold their own against the big bodies everyone sends to the net these days.  

#38 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

what ever happened to everyone saying the west was super tough and the east was the skill conference???? outside of boston, who does everyone anticipate being so hard to play against??? 

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#39 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

what ever happened to everyone saying the west was super tough and the east was the skill conference???? outside of boston, who does everyone anticipate being so hard to play against??? 

Toronto - McLaren, Orr, Clarkson, Frazer they are getting into Boston territory in terms of toughness. :(

Pittsburgh - Engelland, MacIntyre

Devils - Janssen, Bouilton, Clowe

Canadiens - Prust, Parros, Tarnasky

these guys will take run at the Wings stars and that's why some people here want someone who can protect the players, so the mojo of "we like our team" can be fine but also a healthy, not-intimidated team is fine. The game is changing you need some guys, that can deliver monsterous hits and crash the net skill alone doesn't win games nor does toughness alone, balance is key in the NHL nowadays.

So let us hope, that Holland isn't done and does indeed look for some help in that regard. Is it really that hard to understand, to want something who can protect this team against such heavyweights? I don't think so and I really hoped Holland would acknowledge that in his interview instead of talking about how Chicago beat Boston.

Edited by frankgrimes, 09 July 2013 - 05:41 PM.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#40 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Manhandle like this?

I'll take it.

Lol. Trumped. That was filthy. Looking forward to Steve Weiss round these parts.