http://sports.yahoo....-150122526.html

#2 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Straight Pavel gold:

Henrik Zetterberg was named team captain this season. How did he transition to being the captain?

“How? He cut out the letter “C” and stitched it on to his jersey, that’s how.

Gold Jerry, GOLD!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#3 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I <3 him. And he's ALL OURS!

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#4 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Class. Humble. Funny. Awesome.  Red Wings.

#5 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I saw a bit of hype on Twitter for a pending Pavel Datsyuk interview - kind of like the giddy excitement leading up to "Sharknado" last week :)

Pavel Datsyuk is one of most uniquely intriguing athletes I can remember ever following closely.  Maybe the whole point is that nobody actually is able to follow him closely.  I certainly don't think of him the same way you would think generally about other "Russian players".  Even the other Russians, many of which do not like each other, seem to revere him like some sort of deity. 

Also, that was a pretty awesomely subtle joke about being behind his Twitter handle, and also the handle of his bicycle and car.  I think he actually speaks English better than I do, and is just playing it down as part of his master plan.

Also interesting when he was asked about Sochi and didn't even offer an opinion on it one way or the other.  When they ask Ovechkin that question, he almost forgets that he's under contract with the Capitals for about 5 minutes.

#6 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

What is it like to be a veteran?

“I will let you know what it’s like when I become one."

haha love it! :D

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#7 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I saw a bit of hype on Twitter for a pending Pavel Datsyuk interview - kind of like the giddy excitement leading up to "Sharknado" last week :)

Pavel Datsyuk is one of most uniquely intriguing athletes I can remember ever following closely.  Maybe the whole point is that nobody actually is able to follow him closely.  I certainly don't think of him the same way you would think generally about other "Russian players".  Even the other Russians, many of which do not like each other, seem to revere him like some sort of deity. 

Also, that was a pretty awesomely subtle joke about being behind his Twitter handle, and also the handle of his bicycle and car.  I think he actually speaks English better than I do, and is just playing it down as part of his master plan.

Also interesting when he was asked about Sochi and didn't even offer an opinion on it one way or the other.  When they ask Ovechkin that question, he almost forgets that he's under contract with the Capitals for about 5 minutes.

I said it in another thread where his intelligence was brought up.

He is very smart, but plays dumb very very well!

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#8 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Do you sometimes feel sorry for the opponents you sometimes make look silly? Like Logan Couture for example?

I don't look at it this way. I look at it completely different. I deked him that time, but he got better because of it. And because he got better, it is now more difficult for our team to play against him. Our opponents get better and stronger every game.

That is some philosophic s*** right there.

Edited by sputman, 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

I effing love this guy!

On a side note, am I the only one who reads any of his quotes in his voice?  I do it every time.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#10 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's a shame other athletes out there aren't as smart and humble as Pav. Although that is definitely what makes him special and sets him apart from the others. There's nobody else like the guy

Edited by Mike J., 16 July 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#11 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Tell us how does iPhone Siri knows you are the Magic Man?

“How? Well, I picked up the phone and called Apple. I said ‘Let’s do this! It will be a great project!’

"And it turned out to be great, everyone is happy. It was easy. You just need to have the right connections!”

I love Dats.  He should be interviewed every game....twice.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#12 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

A lot of this has to do with the interviewer.

I don't think Pierre gets the same gold from him.

#13 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

A lot of this has to do with the interviewer.

I don't think Pierre gets the same gold from him.

Hey Pavel you remember the time that you deked Couture and he fell down? Yeah, that was sweet. And Pavel, remember the time you ***** slapped Perry? Yeah thatvwad awesome.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#14 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

I'm simply running out of superlatives for the guy....Pavel Datsyuk,great human and even better player.

#15 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hey Pavel you remember the time that you deked Couture and he fell down? Yeah, that was sweet. And Pavel, remember the time you ***** slapped Perry? Yeah thatvwad awesome.

If Pavel went on the Chris Farley show, it wouldnt ever end!

"Muhh rrrr mm member that time when you deked the whole Nashville team?"

"Yup."

"That was awesome."

#16 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Maybe my passport says I am 35, but on the ice you get punched in the face for some reason

OK, that made me spit my breakfast out! :lol:

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#17 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

"Yup."

"That was awesome."

Datsyuk was 17 when Farley quit SNL, and 19 when Farley died.

#18 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

I loved that guy.

#19 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

Tell us how does iPhone Siri knows you are the Magic Man?

“How? Well, I picked up the phone and called Apple. I said ‘Let’s do this! It will be a great project!’

"And it turned out to be great, everyone is happy. It was easy. You just need to have the right connections!”

I love Dats.  He should be interviewed every game....twice.

10 bucks!

#20 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

"Yup."
"That was awesome."

Hey remember that time you tried to kill a funny post? Yeah... that sucked.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!