• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerfan1999

It's time - to predict 2014 Team Canada

Rate this topic

I'm expecting 0 fights, because nobody would be stupid enough to drop the gloves against Lucic. I mean Lucic, Getzlaf and Nash these are three big bodies add to that Carter and Nash = 5 big bodies so only one missing to form two physical shutdown lines, that can also score. I think, not having the intimindation factor of Lucic will hurt this team, as will not having Seabrook on the roster.

I know you can't predict a winner because you never know what will happen but how does Canada not have the best roster on paper?

You've got to be careful about that though because while Canada's got (easily) the best NHL roster, the international game is totally different. For instance: There are far fewer penalties in the international game. So guys who have tons of PP points in the NHL are going to be less effective when that's factored in. Also, guys who are the recipients of good systems play and/or really good linemates in the NHL are going to be less effective at the Olympics. So, for instance players for a team like Boston who's system is almost completely formulated for the NHL game, might not play so well internationally.

Obviously, these limitations are the same for every team in the Olympics, but it's not simply as cut and dry as looking at guys who are studs in the NHL and assuming that they'll work well together in Sochi. In my opinion, and admittedly it's just mine, the teams that play a full 60 minute game do better in the Olympics. Fast teams that keep the pressure on tend to perform well which is why not an Olympics goes by when some team like the Czecks or Slovaks don't upset somebody with a far better NHL caliber roster because they out skate them.

The thing is, 4 flying lines are not needed a top 6 bottom 6 approach is the way to go. The first two lines are going to have an unreal amount of speed, but the third and fourth line don't need to provide that they should be role players. Who cares if other teams are better skaters, clock up the middle and check everything that moves done by the third and fourth line.

Having said that, at the end of the day this is their roster and we'll see how well they are doing on the bigger ice.

We get it your envious for some reason, probably losing the gold in 2010. Not once did I even say Canada was going to win. I still think Sweden or Russia will win gold. Canada will however beat the USA so you can stay mad.

Maybe, but will it take two whole games and a fluky goal in OT to do so?

The fact that arguably the best minds in hockey Yzerman Holland Babcock Chiarelli Julien Ruff Hitchcock and Lowe (okay, maybe not Lowe) chose this roster makes me full of confidence that this is the best TEAM Canada can assemble. This team has all of the pieces to be dominant on any ice surface with a variety of players that fill roles (size, speed, grit, scoring, defence, balance etc.)

Canada's achilles heel could be sub-par goaltending. This is a real possibility as Luongo has proven he can be a choke (he wasn't great in Vancouver but the team in front of him was good enough to make up for it). Although Price is having a monster year he is an unknown to Olympic competition. I do not believe Smith will see any ice time.

I actually watch a ridiculous amount of hockey with all players involved and followed the majority since they were in Jr. Nash is not good 2 way and is slower than Lucic and isn't as physical and has been kinda junk since going to the Rangers. I'd take Richards or Ladd over him for pure grit, compete level and momentum stealing and creating.

In 2010 Nash was a beast. He was playing in a two way role then as he will be this year. Some players seem to rise to the occasion when playing for their country. Nash is that type of player. I am not a big fan of his but I give credit where its due.

Team Canada looks great. and so do the other countries as well. Its bound to be a great tournament where anything can happen. I know that you could make a hell of a team with the players that didn`t make the cut on some of these teams!

It's gonna be great hockey for sure but I might avoid the boards during the Olympics if there's gonna be a lot of Canada bashing as it looks like it's starting.

hahaha just us give us the gold already. Kipwinger looks like a clown spewing his American propaganda all over the forums.

I didn't realize it was "spewing propaganda" to be a fan of the country you're from. Particularly when they played pretty damn well the last time around. And because they've improved since then. And because the larger ice is to their advantage. And because the only team that beat them last time has lost some pretty important pieces.

Sooo, any Team Canada fans have anything to say about the topic that doesn't involve A) Calling me names, B) Accusing me of "propagandizing", or C) Knee-jerk belittling anyone who dares suggest that another team could possibly be good at hockey too?

I know there are some pretty decent people out there who happen to want Canada to win gold, unfortunately they're being over-shadowed by their more...thoughtless...peers.

I didn't realize it was "spewing propaganda" to be a fan of the country you're from. Particularly when they played pretty damn well the last time around. And because they've improved since then. And because the larger ice is to their advantage. And because the only team that beat them last time has lost some pretty important pieces.

Sooo, any Team Canada fans have anything to say about the topic that doesn't involve A) Calling me names, B) Accusing me of "propagandizing", or C) Knee-jerk belittling anyone who dares suggest that another team could possibly be good at hockey too?

I know there are some pretty decent people out there who happen to want Canada to win gold, unfortunately they're being over-shadowed by their more...thoughtless...peers.

I'm looking forward to Inglorious Backes picking fights with all the Canadian players leading up to the Olympics

I'm looking forward to Inglorious Backes picking fights with all the Canadian players leading up to the Olympics

I'm so glad that we don't have to play against him anymore. I seriously love David Backes, always have, and it sucked so bad to both have to pretend like I didn't like him as well as watch him obliterate our guys on a constant basis.

But seriously, how badass is it to start your Olympic intimidation efforts during NHL games. How many Canadians did he end up fighting anyway?

In 2010 Nash was a beast. He was playing in a two way role then as he will be this year. Some players seem to rise to the occasion when playing for their country. Nash is that type of player. I am not a big fan of his but I give credit where its due.

I would probably go as far as to say that Nash, from that roster, has the best international reputation/past experience than anyone.

Already debunked your thoughts.

Canada will beat USA, however they will lose to Russia or Sweden. Just the way it is, no need to bring your insecurities into this thread and to keep telling yourself how great USA is.

Already debunked your thoughts.

Canada will beat USA, however they will lose to Russia or Sweden. Just the way it is, no need to bring your insecurities into this thread and to keep telling yourself how great USA is.

Wow dude, first I'm "mad" and now I'm "insecure"? Way to "debunk" me by attacking me personally. Keep classing it up.

I would probably go as far as to say that Nash, from that roster, has the best international reputation/past experience than anyone.

Agreed. I thought he was Canada's best forward through the whole tournament.

I think this roster was more carefully chosen than the last roster. Babcock has a strategy how he wants to utilize these guys instead of just choosing the best players this year

Besides them winning gold I think team canada under performed last time around. I think they played one great game against Russia other than that they had a lot more to give. If they get on a roll early then no team stands a chance. No offence

I'm so glad that we don't have to play against him anymore. I seriously love David Backes, always have, and it sucked so bad to both have to pretend like I didn't like him as well as watch him obliterate our guys on a constant basis.

But seriously, how badass is it to start your Olympic intimidation efforts during NHL games. How many Canadians did he end up fighting anyway?

He took on Toews, Perry, and Nash in a span of like a week