• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

The Daniel Alfredsson Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Pleasant surprise that he seems to have gotten more aggressive in his older age. I like that he takes runs at guys and hacks at shin pads whenever he can and doesn't get called. Also like that he shoots and occasionally hits the goalie/net (looking at you Sammy).

Alfie is the man. He has what 9 assists and a goal in the first 8 games.

8 assists but yeah, I liked the signing from the get go, and it's kinda dumb all the armchair gms around here who instantly start saying how bad of a signing it was, I love watching them eat crow.

I like Bert on the top line for most of the game and then switching it up with Alfie. I think they can make the switch seamlessly, but it really throws off the defense

When that line scored last night all I could think of was " old guys rule "when they school the young guys.---Me being an old guy, of course.

The way Zetterberg has come out of the gate, it's as if he wants to make sure Alfie gets the Stanley Cup on his watch. All of Sweden will love Z for getting Alfie the Cup.

Edited by T.Low

I understand why a lot of people were skeptical about the Alfie signing (or glancing at CapGeek and dreaming what else we could have done with the money), but it was almost impossible to imagine him playing on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and not having that become one of the most cerebral, veteran scoring lines imaginable. He's also a coveted right-handed shot that actually can play the left point on the power play, which was not a good role for Brunner.

He's 40 and staying healthy for a season could be a challenge, but it's a vintage Red Wings' free agent signing and I loved the idea as soon as I heard it.

Also, T.Low's point about "playing for Alfie" in the Playoffs is huge. This is a team with guys who have pretty much all won it before (Howard being the key other veteran that hasn't), and the Swedes get to play with a living legend who never won a Cup. Reminds me a lot of the veterans on the 2002 and 2008 teams.

Edited by StormJH1

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

he's been very good for a 40yr old player.

but if they're going to "win a cup for alfie", i hope they plan on making a trade for a d-man.

this defense isn't winning a cup.

he's been very good for a 40yr old player.

but if they're going to "win a cup for alfie", i hope they plan on making a trade for a d-man.

this defense isn't winning a cup.

Are you basing that on last night's game where they were playing without their #1 D-man for most of it?

Don't get me wrong the defense is young and a little shaky so far 8 games in, but right now the Wings are 5th in the league in GAA. If everyone is healthy this defense could be pretty solid by the end of the season. The real problems come if Ericsson or Kronwall get injured (like now).

We'll learn a lot about this defense in the coming weeks until Kronwall is back.

Guest Crymson

I liked the transient third line of Abdelkader, Cleary, and Andersson.

I know that Eaves may be gone, but I'd still really love to see him on a 4th line with Helm and Miller.

Edited by Crymson

Are you basing that on last night's game where they were playing without their #1 D-man for most of it?

Don't get me wrong the defense is young and a little shaky so far 8 games in, but right now the Wings are 5th in the league in GAA. If everyone is healthy this defense could be pretty solid by the end of the season. The real problems come if Ericsson or Kronwall get injured (like now).

We'll learn a lot about this defense in the coming weeks until Kronwall is back.

Don't worry, he's probably not basing his comment on anything.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

i'm basing that the chicago series, which smith almost single-handedly lost for them.

dekeyser in for colaiacovo is good, but that smith-quincey pairing will kill them.

i could live with smith's idiocy if he actually generated some offense, like schultz in edmonton. but he doesn't. they have no one other than kronwall that can actually generate offense.

trade smith and one of the buried forwards for a better defenseman.

I like Bert on the top line for most of the game and then switching it up with Alfie. I think they can make the switch seamlessly, but it really throws off the defense

When that line scored last night all I could think of was " old guys rule "when they school the young guys.---Me being an old guy, of course.

The way Zetterberg has come out of the gate, it's as if he wants to make sure Alfie gets the Stanley Cup on his watch. All of Sweden will love Z for getting Alfie the Cup.

Zetterberg played a part in bringing Alfredsson to Detroit according to Lidstrom, so yeah maybe you got a point.

I knew this signing was going to be great for you guys and great for Alfie. He really doesn't take a night off and he's so smart. What a great fit. I really hope you win the Cup because nothing could be sweeter than to Alfie hoist that cup. As much as some fans in Ottawa are mad they'd rally around this and convince themselves that we gave him to you. ;)

I'm with Malts, actually. I do not, NOT, trust this blue line to win a Cup. But Holland did try to land Edler, so we know he's aware of the issue.

I knew this signing was going to be great for you guys and great for Alfie. He really doesn't take a night off and he's so smart. What a great fit. I really hope you win the Cup because nothing could be sweeter than to Alfie hoist that cup. As much as some fans in Ottawa are mad they'd rally around this and convince themselves that we gave him to you. ;)

Would Sens fans really rally around it? That'd be something.

I'm not trolling you when I ask, How are the Sens doing? I know there have been some issues with Team D (shots on goal), but it seems like Ryan is fitting in really well, and Karlsson seems to be in fine form.

Oh goodness! You really aren't trolling with that statement!.....that was actually nice.

Go check out the HF Ottawa board it is currently in full meltdown, well it has been for 2 weeks but it is just gaining stream game after game.

The whole team is in free fall.

No one has an answer because Alfie used to show us the way. Spezza is being villifed as a captain, they are calling him Captain Lazy- brutal effort tonight.

Slow slow slow leads to cheating leads to penalties, I think we have spent the most time on the PK by a wide margin.

Karlsson is trying but some of the first step and pivot that made him so special is for now gone and he's blowing a gasket frustrated.

It's a mess right now and no leader to show them the way. They are missing their former captain in ways that no one fully appreciated.

It's a tough time to be a Sens fan when you lose to Edmonton and make the Devils look really tough.

Luckily the Red Wings Phoenix game is on centre ice free tonight-my other 2 go to teams.

;)

alfredsson.jpg

hi-res-181459891-daniel-alfredsson-of-th

I find these pictures quite interesting. Why?

I've seen the first one many times over many years- it says to me in a familiar way, I'm happy to be back playing hockey again. I love what I do.' That's the Alfie I know.

Mind you I don't really notice the hair or stache, he's that familiar to me.

Look at his eyes. ... The first pic is normal, I see it every year.

The second pic I've never seen before- he looks like well I don't know....a guy that just got handed the keys to a Zetterberg and a Datsyuk and he's going to drive them like he stole them.

40shmorty....he's got game and right now not a care in the world, just play and make it happen.

He looks like a kid on Christmas day on a halloween candy rush.