• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWang

Brendan Smith

Rate this topic

I don't know what's clicked in Smith's brain, but I'm glad about it.

There was a play in the 1st last night, he was skating back into the zone with puck, being pressured by an Islander, with another coming in to add to the pressure. He was all alone with no-one to pass to. Being Smith my heart was in my mouth.

So what does he do? He skates behind his net, holding the forechecker behind him with one arm, controlling the puck with the other, then skates up and out of our zone, leaving the 2 forecheckers behind, and carried the puck all the way up the ice and into the Islander zone. :o

So glad he got 2 assists last night, just reward for his recent play.

He made a similar play the game before where he shook off a forechecker. He's not nearly as uneasy as he used to be. He's making smart decisions with the puck, is jumping into the offensive play and really using his skating to create good plays.

Really elusive and when he's carrying the puck out of the zone he's flying. Good in the O zone too. He's just gotta try and shoot more. He seems to get hit pretty good every game though

He really looks like he has potential to be a top pairing offensive d man. Dekeseyer and Smith. Our top 4 could be deadly pretty soon. I think we have the ability to surprise a lot of people these playoffs. If everybody plays to their capability I don't see how we are not a contender

Edited by joesuffP

I was not able to watch last Wednesday or Sunday's games. However, I've been told that Smith played quite well in both. I did see Friday's game and didn't think he looked bad. I've always been quite vocal about how bad Smith was playing, and he was playing quite terribly at one point, but if he's turned the corner on that then he deserves to be recognized for that as well. So "atta boy" Smith.

I don't know what's clicked in Smith's brain, but I'm glad about it.

There was a play in the 1st last night, he was skating back into the zone with puck, being pressured by an Islander, with another coming in to add to the pressure. He was all alone with no-one to pass to. Being Smith my heart was in my mouth.

So what does he do? He skates behind his net, holding the forechecker behind him with one arm, controlling the puck with the other, then skates up and out of our zone, leaving the 2 forecheckers behind, and carried the puck all the way up the ice and into the Islander zone. :o

So glad he got 2 assists last night, just reward for his recent play.

i wanted to bring this back up. first off, i had the same sequence on that play as you. i was worried but excited to see his new and improved decision making in practice.

however, i wish he would have taken the same approach on that awful turnover last night. i agree with many in the GDT that placed blame on quincey as he definitely did set up smith to fail. however, it was also a great example of that same thinking that had been exhibited the last couple weeks... the attempted pass that got intercepted and led to a juicy 2 on 1 was a decision smith made a lot last year. his growth in the last few weeks has been partly from his willingness to eat the puck, take it behind the net, battle on the boards, etc. essentially the 'live to fight another day' approach. that has been working well for him in his own zone. seeing him revert back to the gunslinger type mentality with that play was tough.

however, it was just one play, and overall i think he had a good game. really more than anything, i think it was an example of one of the things he needs to work on. not an indictment of the quality of play he has brought.

i wanted to bring this back up. first off, i had the same sequence on that play as you. i was worried but excited to see his new and improved decision making in practice.

however, i wish he would have taken the same approach on that awful turnover last night. i agree with many in the GDT that placed blame on quincey as he definitely did set up smith to fail. however, it was also a great example of that same thinking that had been exhibited the last couple weeks... the attempted pass that got intercepted and led to a juicy 2 on 1 was a decision smith made a lot last year. his growth in the last few weeks has been partly from his willingness to eat the puck, take it behind the net, battle on the boards, etc. essentially the 'live to fight another day' approach. that has been working well for him in his own zone. seeing him revert back to the gunslinger type mentality with that play was tough.

however, it was just one play, and overall i think he had a good game. really more than anything, i think it was an example of one of the things he needs to work on. not an indictment of the quality of play he has brought.

What was most impressive, as Ozzie mentioned, was how well Smith was able to put that behind him and continue doing what he needed to do.

What was most impressive, as Ozzie mentioned, was how well Smith was able to put that behind him and continue doing what he needed to do.

i was stuck with the canadian feed on the nhl network so i was not aware of such a comment! definitely spot on. the thing about players smiths age is they will definitely make mistakes. but you have to learn from them and also not let them affect your confidence and cause more mistakes.