Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Versteeg & Lefebrve

FOR

Hayes & Olsen

*Florida is retaining half of Versteegs salary.

LINK

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#2 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Caphit was 4.4m and is now 2.2m with two years remaining past this season.  That's a lot of money for Florida to pay to make a guy go away.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#3 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

Caphit was 4.4m and is now 2.2m with two years remaining past this season.  That's a lot of money for Florida to pay to make a guy go away.

Hate so say it, but I like that deal a lot for the Blackhawks. If Versteeg can be a good player again, they just got a top 6 forward for 2,2 million caphit if not, low risk and they can add him to the third line.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#4 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

The Blackhawks keep finding ways to get better. This is an absoulte robbery on there behalf
Posted Image

#5 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

Wow. 

And the strong get stronger. 

Versteeg IS the Florida offense. 

Hope Holland is taking notes. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#6 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

Florida is a blackhole for players and their careers.

Edited by kylee, 15 November 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#7 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

Wait a minute, wasn't it Chicago who was supposed to be in cap hell, not us? Bizarro World

Vince Lombardi

#8 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

The Blackhawks continue to get better, we continue to get worse. And all in the name of "Youth! Homegrown talent! The tough business decisions you have to make in order to stay competitive in the cap era!"

Shove it, Ken.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#9 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Dale Tallon's vision of "Chicago South" has not gotten off to the start he was hoping for. 

Once again, Bob McKenzie shows everyone that he knows his stuff. More to come, no doubt.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#10 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

So when you guys say Florida will pay half of Versteegs salary (In terms of real dollars), that doesnt mean the Hawks only get half his cap hit too right?

That would be a nutty rule no matter what teams are involved.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#11 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

So when you guys say Florida will pay half of Versteegs salary (In terms of real dollars), that doesnt mean the Hawks only get half his cap hit too right?

If it'd benefit the 'hawks, that's probably how it is.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#12 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

Amazing. How do other teams get these steals? I get the impression nobody will trade with us, otherwise why do we keep missing out on things like this? If we don't get anyone from a team like Florida or Buffalo, who are pretty desperate, I'll be disappointed.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#13 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Heard the plan is to play him on the third line. Chicago adds some good depth/a familiar face (to coaches & players) for a reasonable price. good deal for them imo.

I'm pretty sure it's half the cap hit as well.. can't look for a source right now but I'll check later if no one finds one by then.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#14 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Yep, per the new cba teams can retain up to half the cap hit in a trade

#15 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Amazing. How do other teams get these steals? I get the impression nobody will trade with us, otherwise why do we keep missing out on things like this? If we don't get anyone from a team like Florida or Buffalo, who are pretty desperate, I'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to make a (fair) trade with us. That's probably what comes with being generally regarded as THE BEST GM EVAR for 10+ years. I mean, think about it - how many GMs have probably had their fans screaming, "Why can't you be like Ken Holland?! It works for the Red Wings, so why not us?!" for God-knows-how-long? Maybe now they get to stick it to Mr. BEST GM EVAR and his oh-so-special Red Wings?

Or maybe Holland is just lazy and complacent. Not that I could necessarily blame him...

"Sooo, I can A) Do a lot of hard work and make several million dollars, or B) Not do a lot of hard work...and make several million dollars. Hmmm...."

Don't Toews me, bro!

#16 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

DId you guys think that maybe just maybe Holland can't participate in these deals because WE DON'T HAVE CAP ROOM.  We are over the cap when everyone is healthy, we are trying to shed salary not add salary.  And no, no one wants Tootoo so don't add him to a hypothetical deal.  He's cleared waivers, he has negative value.  And Sammy isn't going anywhere given his NTC.

#17 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

chicago working to make a cup winning team better

holland sitting on his thumbs after re-signing useless vets and burying nhl-ready players in the minors

quite the contrast

#18 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Yep, per the new cba teams can retain up to half the cap hit in a trade

If thats the case it blows my mind that the wings werent able to trade away one of our players with only 1 year remaining on their contact, eat half the cap hit, but still open up room for other guys.

Because when we waive a player, we eat more than 50% of their hit right? 

I just have a hard time believing we couldnt get a draft pick for tootoo/eaves, even if just a low one.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#19 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Florida is a blackhole for players and their careers.

I consider myself a bit of a Panthers fan. Been casually following them on-and-off for awhile now.

So I can say, with a bit of authority, that you...are absolutely correct.

Following the Panthers really makes you appreciate things like "winning culture," "team pride," "shouldering expectations" - things that we as Red Wings fans take for granted but which really do mean something.

No matter how good you are, if you're a Florida Panther...you'd probably be much better virtually anywhere else. (Imagine Zetterberg as fat and lazy.)

Credit where it's due, though: they've got a great young core to build around.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#20 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

DId you guys think that maybe just maybe Holland can't participate in these deals because WE DON'T HAVE CAP ROOM.  We are over the cap when everyone is healthy, we are trying to shed salary not add salary.  And no, no one wants Tootoo so don't add him to a hypothetical deal.  He's cleared waivers, he has negative value.  And Sammy isn't going anywhere given his NTC.

He's the Genius, not me. So he should 1) not have put us in this situation in the first place (wait, who was it who signed Tootoo, Sammy, and Cleary? Oh yeah, Brian Burke! nvm), 2) have a slam-dunk, rabbit-out-of-the-hat, deus-ex-machina that makes us say, "Oh. My. God. He's been planning this since he was seventeen years old! LEGEND!!!!!"

Don't Toews me, bro!