• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timezown

Weiss

Rate this topic

i know you are just joking, but on a more serious note, i have to wonder if franzens slow start was due to weiss? franzen is obviously streaky no matter who he plays with, but onec he got away from weiss he really turned his season around.

If I recall he seemed to turn it around after not playing for a while due to some mystery injury. I'm not so sure it's because of Weiss.

he is still 7th for forwards in ES TOI per game. and even though he already missed some games, he is still 8th in forwards for PP total TOI. he has been getting plenty of chances. and according to behind the net, his most common linemates this season have been abdelkader and alfredsson. so its not like he has been with cleary and sammy for a majority of his shifts.

but i must go now, because i have to quit watching sports because i am not the right kind of fan...

I'll ignore the fact that you COMPLETELY misused the last part of my post, as that's hardly the worst of it.

Abdelkader is an offensive anchor. Very useful in a certain role, but has never been and will never be an offensive threat. Not a guy that makes me look at Weiss and think "Boy, how could he not be producing with a winger like that?"

Alfie, for all his greatness, is not a pure goal-scoring winger. Offensively, he is solid in pretty much all areas, but he is not a counted-upon goal-scorer. I don't expect him to pot goals consistently. Points? Yes. Goals? Not so much.

Also, because Weiss hasn't centered Cleary and Samuelsson exclusively, that makes my point entirely irrelevant? He's played quite a few games buried with them. And, with that fact being a major contributing factor, he recorded no points in those games.

You're trying to make it sound as though I'm complacent with Weiss. Quite the contrary, I am irked by his lack of production. But, not in a George Carlin-esque "psychotic f***in' hatred" type of way, as most around here have adopted. I'm disappointed, as a big fan of both his and the Wings, that he hasn't been able to contribute. I do, however, believe that he will right the ship and get his game back. If we can find new hope for Smith, grow to love Ericsson and come to respect Bertuzzi, then surely Weiss deserves some of that, too.

I'll ignore the fact that you COMPLETELY misused the last part of my post, as that's hardly the worst of it.

Abdelkader is an offensive anchor. Very useful in a certain role, but has never been and will never be an offensive threat. Not a guy that makes me look at Weiss and think "Boy, how could he not be producing with a winger like that?"

Alfie, for all his greatness, is not a pure goal-scoring winger. Offensively, he is solid in pretty much all areas, but he is not a counted-upon goal-scorer. I don't expect him to pot goals consistently. Points? Yes. Goals? Not so much.

Also, because Weiss hasn't centered Cleary and Samuelsson exclusively, that makes my point entirely irrelevant? He's played quite a few games buried with them. And, with that fact being a major contributing factor, he recorded no points in those games.

This argument is completely invalid so long as Alfredsson, and more to the point Abdelkader, both produce significantly more offensively than Weiss. You can't say "Of course he only has 4 points, his most frequent linemates this season have only have 35 points between the two of them!" Beyond that, Weiss has proven much worse in all areas of the ice. Andersson has 10 points and Miller has 7 points, both playing primarily as shutdown role.

As I said earlier, Weiss is not under-performing. If he had Abdelkader's 12 points right now, his being with Cleary, Samuelsson, Abdelkader, or whoever might be a reasonable cause of such low production. He has 4 points. He is non-existent in every facet of the game.

Good point. Alfie,Abdelkader and Franzen have all played much better without Weiss. Even the fourth line looked better than it did with Weiss earlier in the season. And, low and behold are second line, with Weiss, was god awful from the start to finish of the game.

Even when Weiss was centering the 3rd line with Tatar that line looked bad. He brings down every single player he has played with. It's almost funny at this point. This is unbelievably bad. I really do hope he has been injured because this contract is looking like the worse signing of Holland's career

Edited by joesuffP

I'm still holding out that something is wrong with Weiss physically/mentally because I just can't believe a player like him putting up 50+ for many seasons just suddenly comes to a screeching halt from a system change.

With that said, I'm not afraid to admit that I miss Filppula, but he's gone now. Trade for Lindholm.

Didn't noticed it until last night.It's seems like he's more suitable for north-south hockey style.His passes goes that way,he skates that way.Would like to see him centering the 3rd line with Tatarstan & Nyquist as wingers,until Helm returns.

Guest Crymson

Which is saying something.

Because he's the worst GM in the league, right? Because it's not like every GM makes bad signings, right?

Because he's the worst GM in the league, right? Because it's not like every GM makes bad signings, right?

Every analyst in the world said it was a great signing, unfortunately it has not panned out this far. It's not like he signed Scott Gomez at his contract hoping he could become good again, this is another example of certain people waiting for every opportunity to go, look Holland made a big mistake Bahahaha

Every analyst in the world said it was a great signing, unfortunately it has not panned out this far. It's not like he signed Scott Gomez at his contract hoping he could become good again, this is another example of certain people waiting for every opportunity to go, look Holland made a big mistake Bahahaha

let me first say, i am not one criticizing the signing. at the time i was 100% behind it. it seemed like were getting a slightly better player than flip and someone that could bring more offense. as you state, most hockey minds agreed.

with that said though, what we have so far isn't working. and in my opinion that is something the gm should be accountable for. at the end of the day, the gm is responsible for finding players that fit the team. they are paid to be super knowledgeable and build a staff that can evaluate talent. now, even if weiss never turns it around an this contract does turn out to be a flop, i am not implying its a fire-able offense on its own. we all make mistakes. and the idea is that over the course of times, we make more good moves than bad. but that gets to my main point on this holland tangent: has ken holland had more good moves than bad over the last 5 or so years? because in my mind he hasn't. we havent fleeced anyone in a trade, we havent had any crucial FA signings that helped our team long term, etc. so thats why holland has got into a lot of peoples dog houses. sure we are still drafting well, but even that strength is often nerfed because of holland and his over reliance on veterans. (though hopefully that has finally changed for good)

anyways, sorry for going off topic on that. to bring it back on topic, is there anyone on the roster that you guys think has played well with weiss so far? and that genuinely isn't a loaded question. as i have said several times, i dont see many ways out of his contract, so its in everyones best interest to help him succeed. personally, i haven't seen anyone he seemed to have any chemistry with. a few posts back someone suggested weiss needed to play a more north south game. if that is the case, who would fit that mold?

let me first say, i am not one criticizing the signing. at the time i was 100% behind it. it seemed like were getting a slightly better player than flip and someone that could bring more offense. as you state, most hockey minds agreed.

with that said though, what we have so far isn't working. and in my opinion that is something the gm should be accountable for. at the end of the day, the gm is responsible for finding players that fit the team. they are paid to be super knowledgeable and build a staff that can evaluate talent. now, even if weiss never turns it around an this contract does turn out to be a flop, i am not implying its a fire-able offense on its own. we all make mistakes. and the idea is that over the course of times, we make more good moves than bad. but that gets to my main point on this holland tangent: has ken holland had more good moves than bad over the last 5 or so years? because in my mind he hasn't. we havent fleeced anyone in a trade, we havent had any crucial FA signings that helped our team long term, etc. so thats why holland has got into a lot of peoples dog houses. sure we are still drafting well, but even that strength is often nerfed because of holland and his over reliance on veterans. (though hopefully that has finally changed for good)

anyways, sorry for going off topic on that. to bring it back on topic, is there anyone on the roster that you guys think has played well with weiss so far? and that genuinely isn't a loaded question. as i have said several times, i dont see many ways out of his contract, so its in everyones best interest to help him succeed. personally, i haven't seen anyone he seemed to have any chemistry with. a few posts back someone suggested weiss needed to play a more north south game. if that is the case, who would fit that mold?

Abby - Weiss - Tatar

assuming everyone was healthy, would that be the 3rd line? and what would you use for other combos?

Z-Dats-Franzen

Nyquist - Helm - Alfredsson

Abby - Weiss - Tatar

Miller - Andersson - Old useless guy (take your pick)

Edit: those two bolded lines are 2a and 2b. Whatever line is playing well on ant given night, gets the most icetime.

Edited by rick zombo

Z-Dats-Franzen

Nyquist - Helm - Alfredsson

Abby - Weiss - Tatar

Miller - Andersson - Tootoo

Edit: those two bolded lines are 2a and 2b. Whatever line is playing well on ant given night, gets the most icetime.

Fixed. ;)

Edited by GMRwings1983

Every analyst except a couple of know-it-all posters (not you) on this site.

:(

And "deciding what to do next" sounds very ominous, like they're considering putting him down. :lol:

I just wonder how long he's been playing with this injury. He's certainly been a disappointment, and I hope for his and our sake that it hasn't been solely due to "adjusting to a new system."

:(

And "deciding what to do next" sounds very ominous, like they're considering putting him down. :lol:

I just wonder how long he's been playing with this injury. He's certainly been a disappointment, and I hope for his and our sake that it hasn't been solely due to "adjusting to a new system."

Ted Kulfan @tkulfan 21m

Holland says Weiss will need surgery ultimately..decision today whether it will be now or later..now and it will take 8 weeks before return

Do the surgery now. There shouldn't even be another option. Weiss is ineffective while playing with a sports hernia. Give him plenty of time to rest and recuperate, and hopefully this can provide him with an opportunity to start from scratch and try to get his body and mind where he wants it to be before he returns to the lineup. The contract is for several years, let's do this the right way.