• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#41 Bryguy

Bryguy

Zata

• PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I'm willing to give him until next season before I say the signing was bad. I know he hasn't played with them all season, but being put with Cleary and Samuelsson is not exactly a recipe for success. 

#42 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

Weiss is reminding me of BJ Upton after my Braves (my favourite MLB team) signed him to a big 5 year contract last offseason...UGH get it going bud

#43 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

Weiss is reminding me of BJ Upton after my Braves (my favourite MLB team) signed him to a big 5 year contract last offseason...UGH get it going bud

Ha my favorite baseball teams is the braves as well! He should be able to get it going but playing on the fourth line does absolutely nothing
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#44 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Ha my favorite baseball teams is the braves as well! He should be able to get it going but playing on the fourth line does absolutely nothing

It'll help him get familiarized with the Wings system. Once he's comfortable I'm sure they give him a bigger role.

#45 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

I like Weiss and I think the signing when it happened....no doubt he has been a disappointment.

My question is....he is NOT a defensive liability so when we are up 4-0 or 5-0 like we have been the last 2 games, why not try and get him one? Get the monkey off his back. He must be beyond frustrated. Play him of the powerplay. The problem is confidence....he has ZERO and is starting to pass and defer.

If we are up, throw the guy a bone and let him play with Zetty and Franzen or Gus. Get him a goal and they will come.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#46 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I like Weiss and I think the signing when it happened....no doubt he has been a disappointment.

My question is....he is NOT a defensive liability so when we are up 4-0 or 5-0 like we have been the last 2 games, why not try and get him one? Get the monkey off his back. He must be beyond frustrated. Play him of the powerplay. The problem is confidence....he has ZERO and is starting to pass and defer.

If we are up, throw the guy a bone and let him play with Zetty and Franzen or Gus. Get him a goal and they will come.

Hopefully when Pavs and Bert return, Weiss is put on a line with them.  That way we don't ruin the phenomenal chemistry that the other three lines have also.

#47 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hopefully when Pavs and Bert return, Weiss is put on a line with them.  That way we don't ruin the phenomenal chemistry that the other three lines have also.

This makes sense right here

#48 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

This makes sense right here

Totally agree. I don't want to mess with success by any means but if we are dominating like we have been the last 2, I'd like to see Babs make the adjustment.
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#49 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Did he even play tonight? I caught most of the game and didn't notice him once. 

Usually I am exaggerating a bit, but I swear this guy is LITERALLY invisible out there. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#50 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Weiss is playing with 2 pylons... hard to notice him. I think playing with Pavs and Bert will do wonders for Weiss in getting his confidence back offensively. Weiss will benefit from the speed and skill of Pavs and obvs just from being on the same line as him. Different pieces of this team are coming together slowly and once all the pieces are in place, they are a team that can go the length.

#51 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think his best hockey was just before he went down with the injury.  He doesn't look too confident out there, and I've also noticed he is playing 100% defensive hockey.  Sammy or Cleary will chip the puck into the corner and Weiss falls back and plays high slot, or more defensively along the boards.  There isn't that ferocious fore-check occurring, which as a fourth line technically, makes sense that he's playing to not let his line be a liability.  He needs to get going offensively though, and if that means taking away his defensive responsibilities for the time-being, then so be it.  I want to see him as a winger, and alongside Dats and Bert when they return (like probably 95% of LGW).  He needs to be thinking "goals and assists" right now to get the production started, and when it starts going well for him, Weiss can readjust his game to be more defensive-minded.

#52 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

He wasn't getting back on the back check a couple times. I think he's in Babcocks doghouse and rightfully so. He doesn't look to be enjoying himself and I question his attitude towards being used in a 4th line role. If he had a desire to turn things around he'd make the most of his minutes by taking the body or skating full speed. He's just going through the motions

#53 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

He wasn't getting back on the back check a couple times. I think he's in Babcocks doghouse and rightfully so. He doesn't look to be enjoying himself and I question his attitude towards being used in a 4th line role. If he had a desire to turn things around he'd make the most of his minutes by taking the body or skating full speed. He's just going through the motions

How would you feel watching guys like Cleary get promoted to the top 6 all the time while you continue to be put with useless slugs.

#54 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

How would you feel watching guys like Cleary get promoted to the top 6 all the time while you continue to be put with useless slugs.

It's not like he's been a 4th liner all season. He's earned those useless slug linemates.

#55 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's not like he's been a 4th liner all season. He's earned those useless slug linemates.

I agree he has not been great, but he is better then Cleary, so why Cleary keeps getting chances is beyond me

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

I agree he has not been great, but he is better then Cleary, so why Cleary keeps getting chances is beyond me

Actually, his numbers are the same as Cleary's.  

So sadly, he hasn't been better.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#57 RedWang

RedWang

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Personally, i think his confidence is just low right now. Hes disappointed he got injured when his game was coming on, hes disappointed hes not performing how the organization needs him to, and hes disappointed hes on the 4th line with dumb and dumber. Thatll kill anyones game IMHO.

If he plays with bert n Pasha on the top line for more than 3 games and produces nothing, then we can worry. But until hes given the top 6 role he knows and has thrived in, while being injury free and playing with the worlds best player, i wont rule him out.

Cmon Weisser!!

#58 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

here here!

Personally, i think his confidence is just low right now. Hes disappointed he got injured when his game was coming on, hes disappointed hes not performing how the organization needs him to, and hes disappointed hes on the 4th line with dumb and dumber. Thatll kill anyones game IMHO.

If he plays with bert n Pasha on the top line for more than 3 games and produces nothing, then we can worry. But until hes given the top 6 role he knows and has thrived in, while being injury free and playing with the worlds best player, i wont rule him out.

Cmon Weisser!!

Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#59 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

i agree 100%. and for those that insist he was coming on before getting injured, i think you are setting the bar pretty low. 'sucking less than he had been' was more of an apt description of his play during that time IMO.

i liked the signing this summer and i still hope he can produce. the team needs him. but at some point the excuses need to stop. at some point the 'its only been X games' can no longer be valid. we are a third of the way through the season and he has not played like a top 6 player for hardly any of that time.

because we have had good lines lately, i agree with the folks that say to throw him on the 1st with datsyuk and bertuzzi when they come back. see if that line can get something going. because finding linemates that work with weiss will be huge. the guy obviously has the skill to play in the nhl. finding the right winger and using the right strategy are crucial to figuring this out.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#60 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

i'm thinking weiss could use a confidence booster..

i'd love to see what weiss-datsyuk-tatar could do with pav healthy

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."