• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Timezown

Weiss

Rate this topic

I think his best hockey was just before he went down with the injury. He doesn't look too confident out there, and I've also noticed he is playing 100% defensive hockey. Sammy or Cleary will chip the puck into the corner and Weiss falls back and plays high slot, or more defensively along the boards. There isn't that ferocious fore-check occurring, which as a fourth line technically, makes sense that he's playing to not let his line be a liability. He needs to get going offensively though, and if that means taking away his defensive responsibilities for the time-being, then so be it. I want to see him as a winger, and alongside Dats and Bert when they return (like probably 95% of LGW). He needs to be thinking "goals and assists" right now to get the production started, and when it starts going well for him, Weiss can readjust his game to be more defensive-minded.

He wasn't getting back on the back check a couple times. I think he's in Babcocks doghouse and rightfully so. He doesn't look to be enjoying himself and I question his attitude towards being used in a 4th line role. If he had a desire to turn things around he'd make the most of his minutes by taking the body or skating full speed. He's just going through the motions

He wasn't getting back on the back check a couple times. I think he's in Babcocks doghouse and rightfully so. He doesn't look to be enjoying himself and I question his attitude towards being used in a 4th line role. If he had a desire to turn things around he'd make the most of his minutes by taking the body or skating full speed. He's just going through the motions

How would you feel watching guys like Cleary get promoted to the top 6 all the time while you continue to be put with useless slugs.

How would you feel watching guys like Cleary get promoted to the top 6 all the time while you continue to be put with useless slugs.

It's not like he's been a 4th liner all season. He's earned those useless slug linemates.

Personally, i think his confidence is just low right now. Hes disappointed he got injured when his game was coming on, hes disappointed hes not performing how the organization needs him to, and hes disappointed hes on the 4th line with dumb and dumber. Thatll kill anyones game IMHO.

If he plays with bert n Pasha on the top line for more than 3 games and produces nothing, then we can worry. But until hes given the top 6 role he knows and has thrived in, while being injury free and playing with the worlds best player, i wont rule him out.

Cmon Weisser!!

here here!

Personally, i think his confidence is just low right now. Hes disappointed he got injured when his game was coming on, hes disappointed hes not performing how the organization needs him to, and hes disappointed hes on the 4th line with dumb and dumber. Thatll kill anyones game IMHO.

If he plays with bert n Pasha on the top line for more than 3 games and produces nothing, then we can worry. But until hes given the top 6 role he knows and has thrived in, while being injury free and playing with the worlds best player, i wont rule him out.

Cmon Weisser!!

It's not like he's been a 4th liner all season. He's earned those useless slug linemates.

i agree 100%. and for those that insist he was coming on before getting injured, i think you are setting the bar pretty low. 'sucking less than he had been' was more of an apt description of his play during that time IMO.

i liked the signing this summer and i still hope he can produce. the team needs him. but at some point the excuses need to stop. at some point the 'its only been X games' can no longer be valid. we are a third of the way through the season and he has not played like a top 6 player for hardly any of that time.

because we have had good lines lately, i agree with the folks that say to throw him on the 1st with datsyuk and bertuzzi when they come back. see if that line can get something going. because finding linemates that work with weiss will be huge. the guy obviously has the skill to play in the nhl. finding the right winger and using the right strategy are crucial to figuring this out.

i'm thinking weiss could use a confidence booster..

i'd love to see what weiss-datsyuk-tatar could do with pav healthy

This line is a good thought on paper and offensively but there wouldnt be any size or grit on that line. Bert needs to be there to create space and provide some size/strength to really open up the ice for pav.

Tatar is like a mini datsyuk and does well making plays/carrying the puck in for the 3rd line. Also top pairing defenseman will eat Tatar for lunch with their size/strength to easily take him off the puck.

Just my opinion.

10 mins a game, all of those shifts with Cleary and Samuelsson. No PP or PK time, why do you think he's invisible? There are flashes every game, but not enough consistently. He's going to get it going eventually, he's too good a player. Hopefully when Datsyuk and Bertuzzi come back Babs does the logical thing and takes out Cleary and Samuelsson and plays Weiss with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi. Not only would be a good opportunity for Weiss, but it won't kill any of the other lines chemistry.

Can contracts signed post-lockout/cap decrease be bought out using the amnesty buy out?

Not that Holland would do this, and not like I'm saying he should. Just curious.

I kind of thought it had to happen in the off-season - no source to quote on it though.

Weiss #90 suits him, he's playing like a 90 year old out there.. geez i would blow him away with hustle speed shot you name it. I'm baffled as to how this guy ever got a 4+m contract for 5 years. HOW?!?! Watch Datsyuk come back and Andersson get shafted cause of Weiss.

This line is a good thought on paper and offensively but there wouldnt be any size or grit on that line. Bert needs to be there to create space and provide some size/strength to really open up the ice for pav.

Tatar is like a mini datsyuk and does well making plays/carrying the puck in for the 3rd line. Also top pairing defenseman will eat Tatar for lunch with their size/strength to easily take him off the puck.

Just my opinion.

Agree with much, but Tatar isn't a mini-Dats. Not even close. Tatar can't play defense yet and is frequently knocked around by bigger players. He has a lot of offensive capabilities. He's fast, tenacious, and full of energy. He might even have a chip on his shoulder, which can't hurt at 23.

Now Nyquist, on the other hand, seems to have some of Datsyuk's stealthy puck-stealing skills.

Guest mjtm77

Weiss can not be bought out because his contact was signed post lockout

edit- unless a normal buy out is used

Edited by mjtm77

Guest Crymson

Weiss #90 suits him, he's playing like a 90 year old out there.. geez i would blow him away with hustle speed shot you name it. I'm baffled as to how this guy ever got a 4+m contract for 5 years. HOW?!?! Watch Datsyuk come back and Andersson get shafted cause of Weiss.

He got that contract based on his history. He had been a very effective player for a long time. Every analyst touted the contract given to him. Unfortunately, he has been inexplicably awful.

Weiss is playing on the 4th line, and Andersson is a mainstay on the penalty kill. It'll be Samuelsson or (more likely) Cleary who'll get the boot when Datsyuk returns.

Edited by Crymson

Penetrating analysis.

Why do I have to penetrate someone?

Their stats are similarly putrid, and Cleary actually has a better plus/minus. Of course Weiss is/should be a a better player at this point in his career, but it hasn't showed at all this year.

Stats aren't everything, but in this case, they are. Weiss and Cleary were brought in to contribute, and they've both sucked equally.

If Weiss is ever going to break out, he has to do so when Pav and Z are out. However, since we continue to practice/play Weiss on the fourth line with the other two hanger-on plugs, one could guess that we have already given up on him.

I can't for the life of me think why Weiss wouldn't have been promoted during these tough times at center unless he was on his way out after less than 30 games. Don't get me wrong, Weiss has been a terrible disappointment and I have very little faith that he'll significantly snap out of it (read: earn his $5M per year contract), but if you were ever going to test it, now would be the time.