• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeymom1960

Nucks vs Flames

Rate this topic

It's in no way saying that. Again, it ignores how obvious the intention was here with the 4th line out and Westgarth taking the opening faceoff.

If you start your goons for the opening faceoff, have a goon winger take that faceoff, then your players simultaneously drop the gloves and make no play on the puck, the team and coach deserves to be punished.

It's not like there will be many cases where a 4th line legitimately starts a game and a line brawl accidentally breaks out.

Why do there need to be fines, or any punishment beyond penalties, after a line brawl? What happened in this game, where there were no instigator penalties, that warrants any supplemental discipline?

Why do there need to be fines, or any punishment beyond penalties, after a line brawl? What happened in this game, where there were no instigator penalties, that warrants any supplemental discipline?

From the NHL's perspective, a line brawl 2 seconds into a game and having Tortorella lose his mind in the hallway makes the league look like an illegitimate and fringe sport rather than one of the major pro leagues in North America. I'm guessing they're unhappy about that. The NHL once again gets highlights galore, but for all the wrong reasons.

The line brawl was precipitated by the actions of Hartley. It has nothing to do with penalties being called on the ice. If the league doesn't like the end result, then Hartley should be fined. Which he was.

Tortorella gets 15 days and Hartley gets fined $25,000. I think the league actually got this one right. This wasn't like the Wings Avs rivalry where a huge rivalry finally came to a head. This was an all out staged fight. Pretty funny to watch because it's so ridiculous, but bad for the league.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10324902/vancouver-canucks-coach-john-tortorella-suspended-calgary-flames-coach-bob-hartley-fined-brawl-roles

From the NHL's perspective, a line brawl 2 seconds into a game and having Tortorella lose his mind in the hallway makes the league look like an illegitimate and fringe sport rather than one of the major pro leagues in North America. I'm guessing they're unhappy about that. The NHL once again gets highlights galore, but for all the wrong reasons.

The line brawl was precipitated by the actions of Hartley. It has nothing to do with penalties being called on the ice. If the league doesn't like the end result, then Hartley should be fined. Which he was.

Tortorella gets 15 days and Hartley gets fined $25,000. I think the league actually got this one right. This wasn't like the Wings Avs rivalry where a huge rivalry finally came to a head. This was an all out staged fight. Pretty funny to watch because it's so ridiculous, but bad for the league.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10324902/vancouver-canucks-coach-john-tortorella-suspended-calgary-flames-coach-bob-hartley-fined-brawl-roles

I understand why the league took action, but I don't think the league was right to take action in this instance against the Flames. However, I do agree with Torts' suspension for going after Hartley between periods.

The media takes any perceived negative and blows it up for all major sports- ESPN has devoted more time today to Sherman's comments than the actual NFL playoff games. Pandering to the whim of the media will not end well for the league in the long run. Despite the negative press from the Pitt-Philly series in 2012, the league saw huge ratings for that series.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Wow talk about not understanding hockey, Hartley did nothing wrong yet these greedy idiots are fining him. This league is turning into a joke

6 games for torts seems fair and right

If I am Hartley I'd tell them to f*** off because Incandescent start whoever I want, he should go to a neutral arbitrator and appeal

Burke is perplexed with the fine and stands behind Hartley, if I'm the owner I would pay for him with a nice letter to the league questioning their understanding of the term rivalry

Edited by frankgrimes

Wow talk about not understanding hockey, Hartley did nothing wrong yet these greedy idiots are fining him. This league is turning into a joke 6 games for torts seems fair and right If I am Hartley I'd tell them to f*** off because Incandescent start whoever I want, he should go to a neutral arbitrator and appeal Burke is perplexed with the fine and stands behind Hartley, if I'm the owner I would pay for him with a nice letter to the league questioning their understanding of the term rivalry

He didn't get fined for starting his goons. He got fined because his goons made no attempt to play the puck off the opening faceoff and were clearly instructed to do what they did. You can keep saying "Hartley can start who he wants" and nobody will disagree because he can, but you shouldn't confuse that with the reason he got suspended. Here's the league's quote on Hartley's fine...

"We are holding Mr. Hartley responsible for the actions of Flames' right wing Westgarth, who took the game's opening faceoff and attempted to instigate a premeditated fight with an unwilling opponent -- the Canucks' Kevin Bieksa."

Two things about the hallway video:

1) Can you spot Bieksa? It's like playing "Where's Waldo" and

2) I think Hudler back-peddles.

Hartley's "justification" for his starting lineup is farcical. This is how he tries to fight to keep his job in Calgary?

He said those 4th line guys had been playing well together so he started them, but apparently someone did their homework and found out that line had never actually been together all season.

I think it works, they manage it like a fringe sport, so why not treat it like that in all ways?

I think it works, they manage it like a fringe sport, so why not treat it like that in all ways?

Well that's a good question, and one I think the league struggles with internally.

There's the camp who push for greater exposure and with it revenues, but I think there's also a camp who would love for it to remain the mostly Canadian small time but entertaining league that it was.

Well that's a good question, and one I think the league struggles with internally.

There's the camp who push for greater exposure and with it revenues, but I think there's also a camp who would love for it to remain the mostly Canadian small time but entertaining league that it was.

Exactly. And because of this conflicted, half-assed approach, the product on the ice (or off, in this case!) is often much less than it could or should be.

Fans were on the seat, players and fans alike love it that's good ol' hockey the way it used and should be. I know people that are still talking and loving the Isles Pens game games like this are hard to forget, because they provide everything fans love about hockey.

I'm concerned that your dinosaur has run off with your paradigm.

Hockey everywhere is trying to distance itself from pointless line brawls ... the types that exist only because the talent pool is so watered down, that there is room on most teams for a cement head like Westgarth who simply cannot play hockey at the NHL level, therefore is forced to fight to make a living.

It's a joke. It was fun for a minute with the Flyers and Bruins in the 70's, but it got old and stupid really quickly.

I'm concerned that your dinosaur has run off with your paradigm.

Hockey everywhere is trying to distance itself from pointless line brawls ... the types that exist only because the talent pool is so watered down, that there is room on most teams for a cement head like Westgarth who simply cannot play hockey at the NHL level, therefore is forced to fight to make a living.

It's a joke. It was fun for a minute with the Flyers and Bruins in the 70's, but it got old and stupid really quickly.

Don't watch it then, problem solved.

Dude, you always say this and it's getting old. Because one could easily argue that if you want to watch people get punched so much why don't you go watch boxing or MMA.

I'm not here to try and convince you that fighting is dumb, or bad, or whatever. It wouldn't work even if I tried. But please stop with the "if you don't like it don't watch" argument, because it's not a very good one and is basically the adult equivalent of taking your ball and going home.

Obviously the mothers of Wade Belak, Rick Rypien and Derek Boogaard should seek your kind out for counselling since it's just good old fashioned entertainment ... like the gladiators and such.

The "problem" won't be solved that easily.

If I'd have known that sick children wouldn't exist ... if I'd just ignored them, I'd have done that long ago. It doesn't work that easily.

The only good thing about that particular brawl is that the kid in his 1st NHL game, with his family in attendance didn't get hurt.

Edited by stillwater

What would you do if you were Hartley, would you send out 4th line to start the game again just to press Torts' button?

The Canucks are free falling ...

4 Wins in their past 25 games. Tortorella's impact wore off quickly.

Would I would do as Hartley? Send out my fourth line once again and make Tortarella go absolutely crazy, just the same thing as last time it would hilarious and Hartley would ecome a god :D

I'm already counting the days till Tortarella absolutely explodes big style.

Would I would do as Hartley? Send out my fourth line once again and make Tortarella go absolutely crazy, just the same thing as last time it would hilarious and Hartley would ecome a god :D

I'm already counting the days till Tortarella absolutely explodes big style.

he hasn't yet? or do you mean literally explode lmao.