• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Tim Thomas is a dope: It's a scientific fact.

Rate this topic

When asked to comment on his first start in Boston since his puzzling departure, Tim Thomas had this to say...

"I'm really just focused on getting ready for tomorrow's game," he said. "You know me, I don't try to overblow things."

Ha. I sure hope that was Timbo being cheeky, because if he really feels that way he's delusional...er...more so than usual.

Well, when you overblow things people tend to get hurt. Then you have a whole team of guys out with groin injuries, and you fall out of playoff contention. Then you have too much time on your hands, and end up getting into weird hobbies like collecting American Girls dolls. Then you start going to American Girl doll conventions and everyone thinks you're a pervert.

Just sayin'.

Then you have too much time on your hands, and end up getting into weird hobbies like collecting American Girls dolls. Then you start going to American Girl doll conventions and everyone thinks you're a pervert.

Just sayin'.

What???

Well, when you overblow things people tend to get hurt. Then you have a whole team of guys out with groin injuries, and you fall out of playoff contention. Then you have too much time on your hands, and end up getting into weird hobbies like collecting American Girls dolls. Then you start going to American Girl doll conventions and everyone thinks you're a pervert.

Just sayin'.

God bless you for this post.

Still don't see what makes him a dope but regardless the guy is a scrapper and still is a great goalie... I wouldn't mind at all if they did not resign The Monster and did sign Timmy the Tank on a one year. Thomas can still be a #1 goalie and he'd challenge Howard every step of the way. A Howard-Thomas tandem would be wicked! Like Fuhr-Moog or Hasek-Osgood

Just sayin'.

This made my day seeing Thomas in full gear playing with American Girl dolls in a mansion....LOVE those commericals..

He's not near the wack job Bryzgolov is. That guy is nuts.

Sure, but you're talking about a different kind of "nuts". And really, when you boil it down it's all shades of gray anyway. Both Tim Thomas and Ilya Bryzgalov are absolutely, positively, 100% wackadoodle.

One of my favourite goaltenders of alltime for a number of reasons. His stanley cup performance against the Canucks was out of this world, the guy literally shut down the best offense in the league (at that time), which for sure isn ot easy to do.

Another cool thing is, his style can't be copied it's unique at so many levels and yet hard to beat, reminds me a bit of Hasek.

I find it amusing that a Conn Smythe winning Stanely Cup goaltender could mismanage his career to such a degree that he now makes half as much money playing on the worst team of the last ten or fifteen years.

Most people wish they could 'mismanage' their career's to the tune of $20 million plus.

Perhaps he's playing hockey because he wants to, not because he's contractually obliged to. Just for fun ... it's possible. He shouldn't need money.

He won the Conn Smythe at 37. Honestly, what else is left to play for?

The team he's currently playing for isn't even the worst team in the NHL this season, let alone the 'last ten or fifteen years'.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/10361301/tim-thomas-set-face-bruins-boston

"At that time I really wasn't thinking about money," he said. "I was doing what I thought was the best thing for my family and for myself, and ultimately it was. Not only did the year off give me a renewed life for hockey, just being at home and being a parent to my kids and developing a relationship with my children is much greater and stronger now than it was before that year off.

"I mean, I had a good relationship, don't get me wrong. I was a dad, but when you're constantly on the road and so focused, I hadn't developed [that relationship] yet and they were at critical ages. My son was just turning 7 and my daughter was 8 and those are critical ages, I think, to really develop a relationship with your kids before they get too old. That ended up happening over the year off, so that was one of the great benefits."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/_/id/10361301/tim-thomas-set-face-bruins-boston

"At that time I really wasn't thinking about money," he said. "I was doing what I thought was the best thing for my family and for myself, and ultimately it was. Not only did the year off give me a renewed life for hockey, just being at home and being a parent to my kids and developing a relationship with my children is much greater and stronger now than it was before that year off.

"I mean, I had a good relationship, don't get me wrong. I was a dad, but when you're constantly on the road and so focused, I hadn't developed [that relationship] yet and they were at critical ages. My son was just turning 7 and my daughter was 8 and those are critical ages, I think, to really develop a relationship with your kids before they get too old. That ended up happening over the year off, so that was one of the great benefits."

Good for him. Doesn't sound like a "dope" at all.

When did we start talking about Tim Thomas the husband and father? This is a hockey forum fellas, try to stay on topic. I honestly don't care if he's got ten or twelve of those "World's Greatest Dad" coffee mugs.

I said he mismanaged his HOCKEY career, and he did. He currently plays for a garbage team for half the money he did in his last full NHL season.

Edited by kipwinger

When did we start talking about Tim Thomas the husband and father?

We didn't. I thought it might be good to link the entire article rather that cherry-pick post it like you did.

The thread title suggests he's a "dope". In the opening post, you call him "delusional" ... both are merely your opinions and certainly open for civil debate.

He's still in the NHL, still getting paid millions of dollars to make a living ... and his garbage team has beaten the Wings 3 times at last count.

Steve Yzerman must have "mismanaged" his career at the end of it to make such "little" money, right.

Is he a "dope" simply because he makes less than he used to? History is full of these situations.

We didn't. I thought it might be good to link the entire article rather that cherry-pick post it like you did.

The thread title suggests he's a "dope". In the opening post, you call him "delusional" ... both are merely your opinions and certainly open for civil debate.

He's still in the NHL, still getting paid millions of dollars to make a living ... and his garbage team has beaten the Wings 3 times at last count.

Steve Yzerman must have "mismanaged" his career at the end of it to make such "little" money, right.

Is he a "dope" simply because he makes less than he used to? History is full of these situations.

If he was the best lawyer at the best law firm in the country, and then one year later he was at one of the worst law firms making half as much money, EVERYBODY would agree that he had mismanaged his career.

Whether it was worth it or not, to become a better father, is between God and Timmy. But the career implications of it are pretty much not debatable.

As for the delusional comment, that was in reference to Timmy saying he "doesn't like to overblow things", or whatever. Which couldn't be further from the truth. He overblows tons of things, all the time. I gave allowance for the fact that he could just be joking around, but if not, he's being delusional. Again, not really sure how this is debatable...unless, of course, someone perhaps just wants to be argumentative.

Edited by kipwinger

The hate for Thomas boils down to politics. Some people hate him for it, some agree, some are indifferent. In other news, most goalies are nuts.

For me it has nothing to do with politics. Guys screw their careers up all the time. Wade Redden did it by signing for too much money, Jeff Finger did it for (being no good) and going to Toronto, Dipietro did it by not committing (even a little bit) to good training habits.

Every one of them got made fun of relentlessly on this forum and every other forum. Timmy is not exempt from being clowned on just because he was better than they were.