• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

The biggest obstacle to that is Weiss. If by some miracle Holland ends up getting him, what happens to Weiss? The guy is making a ton of money and putting him on the fourth line would be a waste.

3rd line center. Not bad we'll have a tonne of depth at center. Lots of experience on each line. I'm thinking Helm or Sheahan would have to be part of the deal

3rd line center. Not bad we'll have a tonne of depth at center. Lots of experience on each line. I'm thinking Helm or Sheahan would have to be part of the deal

I'm guessing Helm as he has a bigger cap hit.

Speaking of which can we even afford someone with a $5M cap hit? Has Z actually gone onto LTIR?

Edit: it's hard using a smartphone and full website

Edited by dragonballgtz

Stop putting words in my mouth. And no faceoffs aren't the most important, I'm saying he's a better fit not that Kesler sucks. Vanek is a better goal scorer which is what this team badly needs. The Wings also have plenty penalty killers which isn't as big of a priority. And Vanek is plenty good on the PP.

Kesler is a good player that I've had my eye on for awhile, but he seems to dislike the Wings and a lot of the factors you described will add to his cost. Plus I'd be more then shocked if he ends up being traded.

Yeah I got the Sarcasm.

I'm genuinely not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm really trying to understand how Vanek could be a better fit despite all the ways in which Kesler is seemingly so. If, as you've clarified, you think Vanek is a better fit because he scores more goals, and you don't don't really think there's any useful advantage in specialty teams for Kesler, then you might have said so the first time I asked you to clarify. However, until your most recent post all you'd said is that both Vanek and Moulson were better fits, and your reasoning was that Kesler would be moved to the wing here and not take faceoffs.

That's why I was confused.

Edited by kipwinger

It works if Pav and Z are on the same line. Weiss on the 3rd line or any line for that matter would work if he is better then early in the season. I hope he was bad because of the injury, but I really don't know what to think of him.

Babcock's dream group of centers would probably be Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kesler. You couldn't ask for 3 better centres to build your team around

Na babcocks dream would be to have a legitimate 2nd line center (which is what Weiss was suppose to be) so datsyuk and zetterberg could play together

In a dreamworld we'd be able to find a sucker for Weiss now and bring in kesler to center the 2nd line with the mule

I'm getting so excited just think of the Red Wings with Kesler. Imagine in the playoffs sticking Kesler against their best player and letting Zetterberg and Datsyuk go off offensively

Babcock could come up with some slick strategies

Edited by joesuffP

I'm genuinely not trying to put words in your mouth. I'm really trying to understand how Vanek could be a better fit despite all the ways in which Kesler is seemingly so. If, as you've clarified, you think Vanek is a better fit because he scores more goals, and you don't don't really think there's any useful advantage in specialty teams for Kesler, then you might have said so the first time I asked you to clarify. However, until your most recent post all you'd said is that both Vanek and Moulson were better fits, and your reasoning was that Kesler would be moved to the wing here and not take faceoffs.

That's why I was confused.

No harm. I should have elaborated more the first time.

Legitimate question, but weren't all of Kesler's most productive years on the wing? I swear I read (prior to him being mentioned in trade rumors) that Vancouver wanted to bring in a second line center to pay with Kesler on the wing. If this is true (I'm only about 75% sure), why couldn't we just put him on Weiss' wing with Alfie or whomever?

I'm getting so excited just think of the Red Wings with Kesler. Imagine in the playoffs sticking Kesler against their best player and letting Zetterberg and Datsyuk go off offensively

Babcock could come up with some slick strategies

It be nice to get kesler but I'm not willing to give up jarnkrok mantha mrazek type guys .... We been drafting good for years and were just about ready to get the payoff for developing these guys ... We have to be really careful about not f*cking that up

Legitimate question, but weren't all of Kesler's most productive years on the wing? I swear I read (prior to him being mentioned in trade rumors) that Vancouver wanted to bring in a second line center to pay with Kesler on the wing. If this is true (I'm only about 75% sure), why couldn't we just put him on Weiss' wing with Alfie or whomever?

I'm sure you could put him on the Wing, but he adds such a big advantage at center I would rather try Weiss on the Wing.

Na babcocks dream would be to have a legitimate 2nd line center (which is what Weiss was suppose to be) so datsyuk and zetterberg could play together

In a dreamworld we'd be able to find a sucker for Weiss now and bring in kesler to center the 2nd line with the mule

I think Kesler and Pavel would have great chemistry, and Kesler can do enough of the same types of things Z does that he would eleviate that need for Z and D to line together.

For some reason, I can see Kesler and Franzen getting bitchy with each other if things don't spark right away. NyQ, Z, Mule is quite formidable.

Edited by T.Low

I'm sure you could put him on the Wing, but he adds such a big advantage at center I would rather try Weiss on the Wing.

Seems like a Catch-22 to me. The advantage you'd gain by having Kesler at his natural position would likely be offset by the disadvantage you'd have by playing Weiss at a position he's never played in his 10 year career. Pick your poison I guess.

Yes, he scores like wildfire on Sedins wing, which is why I've been saying put him on Pavels line

Edited by T.Low

Seems like a Catch-22 to me. The advantage you'd gain by having Kesler at his natural position would likely be offset by the disadvantage you'd have by playing Weiss at a position he's never played in his 10 year career. Pick your poison I guess.

That's the reason I think a natural winger would be a better fit. If we were to get Kesler, some players would have to play out of position and not sure how guys would react.

Edited by wings87

That's the reason I think a natural winger would be a better fit. If we were to get Kesler, some players would have to play out of position and not sure how guys would react.

I understand your point of view, but that's the reason why I wanted to know how productive Kesler was on the wing. Because if his most productive years were on the wing, even though he's a great center, then you put him there and leave everyone else where they're comfortable.

I think of its kind of like how Zetterberg's most productive years were on the wing. So when it came time to move a center to wing, you're actually gaining by making Zetterberg the one who's moved.

But I didn't know if Kesler was better, worse, or the same on the wing. I agree with you that Vanek is a better goal scoring winger, but if Kesler is close (and I think he might be) to Vanek offensively on the wing, then all of his other attributes may in fact push him over the top in terms of utility to this team.

I understand your point of view, but that's the reason why I wanted to know how productive Kesler was on the wing. Because if his most productive years were on the wing, even though he's a great center, then you put him there and leave everyone else where they're comfortable.

I think of its kind of like how Zetterberg's most productive years were on the wing. So when it came time to move a center to wing, you're actually gaining by making Zetterberg the one who's moved.

But I didn't know if Kesler was better, worse, or the same on the wing. I agree with you that Vanek is a better goal scoring winger, but if Kesler is close (and I think he might be) to Vanek offensively on the wing, then all of his other attributes may in fact push him over the top in terms of utility to this team.

I'm all for getting Kesler, I guess the wild card would be Weiss.

I'm so invisible...

No, we're all in this together.

This thread a train wreck. Everyone stay on the topics of trades. No personal insults, excessive sarcasm. If you have to "attack" leave out insulting language and STICK TO ARGUED POINTS.

Some of you are making a valiant effort for real discussion. The rest of you, drop the bickering.