• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I hate to bring up that comparison, but I could easily see the Wings taking a more bostonlike approach, which means lots of depth and quality scorers without being elite. Moulson certainly would fit that category but if his agent would do a deal worth "only" 5 million for him, he should be fired. Keep in mind after Vanek Moulson is the younger second best goalscorer on the market. So if teams want him to have to look at north 5 million and guess what? I'd rather pay that for him and try to sign Girardi instead of paying 7,5 + for Vanek.

After reading some Islanders posts the asking price would be Tatar, Mantha + 1 st - there is no way Holland is going to pay that for an unsigned Vanek heck I wouldn't even pay that for a signed Vanek. Two good prospects + 1st is overkill.

Swapping Vanek for a star defender would be nice but again which star defender is available ? Maybe Cam Fowler ? The Ducks aren't going to be a cap team next season so maybe take advantage of him and overpay for that guy, he is young and getting better every year, he would really help our rebuild.

Two problems with being sellers this year for me are (I'd love to see us being sellrs mind you):

1. according to experts the draft is not very good/deep --> contenders will pay more but only for A level prospects or our untouchables

2. the cap is too tight so even if teams want to pay most contenders aren't having a lot of capspace

add to that that capfloor teams arre for sure going to wait till july 1 before doing something and we are looking at two very boring trade deadlines. I feel for the guys of TSN there won't be a lot movement :(

Rumor I've heard is Stewart to NY, Callahan to St. Louis.

Yup. I was gonna say so, but the idea of Callahan on the Blues makes me angry. Because, honestly, it'd be awesome. For them. (Imagine a line of Steen-Backes-Callahan and be that much happier we're no longer in the Central.)

Realistically there's no way Holland makes a serious offer for Vanek. It'd be nice to have him, but like others have said, we need defense. And offense, too, but maybe not as bad. Things tighten up in the playoffs, though.

What if Vanek were part of a three way deal? What with everyone up against the cap, and everything being so competitive and thus reducing trade possibilities, I bet GMs get creative. And Holland is nothing If not creative.

What about overpaying for Vanek and swapping him for a star defender? Thus, making a fair trade in the end?

And as to the Florida rumors, we do have an established relationship with them and do seem to be very familiar with their players.

A sign-and-trade kind of dealy? That might be interesting (assuming all parties would be on the same page about it). I guess one concern I'd have is that it might hurt Kenny's image/standing/reputation/karma. Every single GM in the league wants a star winger and a star defender. We'd be landing a star defender by flipping arguably the most coveted star winger rental. Wouldn't that almost be like trolling?

I could see us making another deal with the Pants. (I call the Panthers the Pants. More people should do this.) There's definitely a history there. Though I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Pants, being a cap team that would most definitely crush us in a best-of-seven, might consciously avoid further dealings with Ken Holland.

*shakes head*

Even IF Holland was crazy enough to meet Snow's demand for a Vanek rental and also give up the farm for Bogo, where exactly does the cap space magically come from?

As it stands right now the Wings will have enough space at the deadline to add someone making Drew Miller money, and that's.

I hate to bring up that comparison, but I could easily see the Wings taking a more bostonlike approach, which means lots of depth and quality scorers without being elite. Moulson certainly would fit that category

I'd consider Moulson fairly elite. He's got that blue-collar underdog thing going on, but, really, he's a pretty proven 30-goal scorer who, like you said, is gonna get paid in the shade while drinking lemonade.

But I think you're right: the days of Red Wing Star Power are probably over.

Vanek wants a new home...which means he doesn't want to play on the Island...if he got traded to Detroit, that would be a new home and he would probably negotiate, especially if he enjoys playing with the Twins...it would be no different than him negotiating with Holland come July...

Vanek wants a new home...which means he doesn't want to play on the Island...if he got traded to Detroit, that would be a new home and he would probably negotiate, especially if he enjoys playing with the Twins...it would be no different than him negotiating with Holland come July...

It sounds more like he wants a fat contract and is going to go to the highest bidder. Given that someone is going to be dumb and give him more than he's worth, I'd prefer not to trade good young players to have him for a couple months.

With the cap going up someone will offer 6M to Moulson and let's not forget that he was very good while playing with Tavares. Moulson will end up WEISS 2.0 so no thanks. I would rather stick with the kids unless you can get Eberle or Simmondsas top 6 forwards. We will still have 3 pretty skilled scoring lines. Our need is top 2 "D".

I'm not overly concerned at forward anyways. I'd rather see us ice a team where the only FA pickup is Girardi and call it a day. I'd like Moulson, but I'd be perfectly happy with the following lineup next season, with some trades of course to lose a couple guys:

Z-Dats-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Mule-Helm-Weiss

Abs-Glendening-Callahan

Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson

Girardi-Smith

DeKeyser-Ouellet

Lashoff

Howard-Mraz

Trade Andersson and Kindl, let Tuzzi, Cleary and Quincey walk, Alfredsson retire, sign Girardi and unfortunately buy out Tootoo. I'd go out in the street and yell out "I love our team" and then clarify to the locals I'm not referring to the damn Leafs.

I'm not overly concerned at forward anyways. I'd rather see us ice a team where the only FA pickup is Girardi and call it a day. I'd like Moulson, but I'd be perfectly happy with the following lineup next season, with some trades of course to lose a couple guys:

Z-Dats-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Mule-Helm-Weiss

Abs-Glendening-Callahan

Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson

Girardi-Smith

DeKeyser-Ouellet

Lashoff

Howard-Mraz

Trade Andersson and Kindl, let Tuzzi, Cleary and Quincey walk, Alfredsson retire, sign Girardi and unfortunately buy out Tootoo. I'd go out in the street and yell out "I love our team" and then clarify to the locals I'm not referring to the damn Leafs.

I'm fine with your lineup only thing I would bring Ouellet as the 7th def and add McQuaid/Stuart/Goudas type as bottom D.

Edit: Lashoff is gone

Edited by Dominator2005

Z-Dats-Nyquist

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Mule-Helm-Weiss

Abs-Glendening-Callahan

Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson

Girardi-Smith

DeKeyser-Ouellet

Lashoff

Howard-Mraz

what are you doing with Ferraro and Almqvist?

I've heard this rumor too but it doesn't make any sense to me. St. Louis is one of the best teams in the league, Stewart is producing well, and they've already got great scoring and defense. Why screw up team chemistry to add a piece that really doesn't provide much? Even if that piece is a good one.

Sell. get extra picks. BTW those picks don't have to be for the 14 draft. We can ask for 15' picks. Might get better picks by waiting a extra year anyway.

In one thread your advocating trading for superstars, yet in this thread your suggesting the Wings should be sellers.

Which is it?

BTW, I like both ideas.

I've heard this rumor too but it doesn't make any sense to me. St. Louis is one of the best teams in the league, Stewart is producing well, and they've already got great scoring and defense. Why screw up team chemistry to add a piece that really doesn't provide much? Even if that piece is a good one.

Stewart and Hitchcock hate each other. He's basically been benched recently. If they can move him and get Callahan or someone else they'll do it in a second I think.

Stewart and Hitchcock hate each other. He's basically been benched recently. If they can move him and get Callahan or someone else they'll do it in a second I think.

He must be being showcased then, because he played on the top line Friday and is scheduled to tonight as well.

I didn't know that there was any animosity between the two, but I don't follow Blues hockey. I guess that's a good enough reason...maybe...but I'd still be REALLY hesitant to mess with chemistry on a team playing as well as the blues are.