• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

If they want to move Nyquist, Tatar, or Jurco, it better be for someone who is pretty damn good that's going to likely stay the rest of their career with us. Not too many guys that are supposedly available where I'd be happy to get rid of those guys for right now.

I still think Ott is worth a shot. With no one really knowing what's up with Datsyuk, and the jury being out on Weiss, and Helm's health a constant concern, and Andersson being very vanilla, and Sheahan being a call-up kid, and Glendening being a call-up kid, and Z's back a major issue, and Franzen being a vegetable, it might be worth investing in some more center depth. Which reminds me: as long as Randy Carlyle is the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Nazem Kadri is on the block.

Which reminds me: as long as Randy Carlyle is the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Nazem Kadri is on the block.

Do you think his ego would go well with Babcock? I'm not sure that would be a good road to go down..

If they want to move Nyquist, Tatar, or Jurco, it better be for someone who is pretty damn good that's going to likely stay the rest of their career with us. Not too many guys that are supposedly available where I'd be happy to get rid of those guys for right now.

Agreed if one of those is moved or packaged the return better be a mid twenty reliable first pairing defenseman, otherwise hell no.

Something about the whole rental thing:

As Wings fan we were used to "get the guy, make him an offer and he will sign" after the whole Suter/Parise thing and might even include Hossa situation, I have become very cautious about trading for rentals. Glad to read that we are basically all are on the same page, when it comes to rentals now.

btw. I've read that Snow offered Vanek 7/50 *lol* this is the exact same contract he already had.I feel sorry for the Islanders fans, their management and ownership is a joke.

I still think Ott is worth a shot. With no one really knowing what's up with Datsyuk, and the jury being out on Weiss, and Helm's health a constant concern, and Andersson being very vanilla, and Sheahan being a call-up kid, and Glendening being a call-up kid, and Z's back a major issue, and Franzen being a vegetable, it might be worth investing in some more center depth. Which reminds me: as long as Randy Carlyle is the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Nazem Kadri is on the block.

Eklund is reporting Detroit has interest in Kadri, so it's as good as done right?

Im not suggesting we trade for Vanek, but Holland may very well have to overpay any UFA hes got his eyes on. The days of the Little Ceasar's discounts are over.

I never said the discounts weren't, but if you're gonna overpay for a FA to that extent Vanek isn't the guy to rap your franchise around. The young kids are gonna need healthy raises soon as well...

Eklund is reporting Detroit has interest in Kadri, so it's as good as done right?

The more I read that Eklund says we're in on all these forwards, the more I imagine Kenny Holland sitting in the pressbox with glasses on the brim of his nose looking over the injured list quietly repeating to himself "I like our team..." :ninja:

The more I read that Eklund says we're in on all these forwards, the more I imagine Kenny Holland sitting in the pressbox with glasses on the brim of his nose looking over the injured list quietly repeating to himself "I like our team..." :ninja:

That's funny because I imagine much the same thing happens when Eklund comes up with this "insider" trade rumblings.

More center depth? We already have too many centers. If we acquire another one we need to send at least 1 or 2 back.

Pav

Z

Sheahan

Helm

Glendening

Weiss

Andersson

We could have two full lines of nothing BUT centers. Not mentioning that Franzen plays C sometimes.

More center depth? We already have too many centers. If we acquire another one we need to send at least 1 or 2 back.

Pav

Z

Sheahan

Helm

Glendening

Weiss

Andersson

We could have two full lines of nothing BUT centers. Not mentioning that Franzen plays C sometimes.

Like I said, I have some concerns about our centermen. Datsyuk hasn't quite been himself this season, and that's when he hasn't been sidelined with an injury. Z's got serious back problems and shouldn't even be playing right now - and, ideally, he's a winger. Sheahan is a call-up kid who will be sent down as soon as Holland and Babcock get the chance. Same with Glendening. Helm will suffer a season-ending injury. Weiss is a huge question mark, and he's supposed to be our dependable point-producing second-line center. I'm not crazy about Andersson. Franzen is, like I said, a vegetable (who doesn't like playing center). Jarnkrok isn't a realistic option right now, and he's our only high-end center on the farm. We've been gutted down the middle by injuries this season. (At one point we had, what, all of our standard centers out with injuries?) And we're still missing our first-liner and second-liner. And we've got the Olympics to worry about. And we'd like to go deep in the playoffs. And we've been crap in the faceoff circle.

All of which is to say, it might be worth getting another center. Maybe one who can play all three forward positions well, just to give us some flexibility. And, given how godawful our PK has become, it'd be cool if the guy's a good PKer. Ott would give us all that. We wouldn't have to give up much to acquire him, there's a reasonable chance he'd like to re-sign in the summer, and, should he re-sign, he wouldn't cost a whole lot in coin or term. He'd give us some more depth, just in case.

Do you think his ego would go well with Babcock? I'm not sure that would be a good road to go down..

I'm pretty sure Babs doesn't really know how to coach kids, and I'm pretty sure a kid with a skyscraping ego would be the death of him. Then again, Tatar has an ego. Then again, Tatar doesn't see as much ice as he probably should.

I'm not big on Kadri, but it's an intriguing possibility because 1) he's a future first or second line center who's starting to deliver, and 2) it's the Leafs, so all you have to do is scream OMG LOOK BEHIND YOU!!! and take Kadri and run. I also think the Leafs are probably not the best fit for him, on several levels. Like, the very fact that he's basically been labeled TROUBLE is, I feel, likely a lot of bulls***, reflecting more on Carlyle being an obstinate dinosaur than Kadri being an intolerable, narcissistic prickwagon. How so? Kadri should've been on the Leafs' roster two seasons before he was ultimately slotted in. If he was puffing his chest and pissing and moaning about mistreatment, it's probably because he realized he was getting shafted. Granted, if you're a young up-and-comer, you know your place and shut your mouth. That's an unwritten rule. But Grabovski and MacArthur have both said, essentially, that the Leafs are fools who don't understand how to develop, manage, utilize high-end talent unless it's a guy like Phil Kessel who's talent is literally impossible to misread. I mean, sure, Grabovski and MacArthur are both bitter so of course they're gonna say that. And yet, we all know it's true.

Just some random spit balling here..... Smith was out tonight. Could he be on the move? There was some buzz about L Schenn maybe being moved from Philly? 1 for 1 would be a good deal for both teams. Gives Philly an offensive Dman. Gives use a big young talented RHed Dman. Perfect pair for Dekeyser. That would give us 2 very good pairs of D.

Edited by Richdg

Just some random spit balling here..... Smith was out tonight. Could he be on the move? There was some buzz about L Schenn maybe being moved from Philly? 1 for 1 would be a good deal for both teams. Gives Philly an offensive Dman. Gives use a big young talented RHed Dman. Perfect pair for Dekeyser. That would give us 2 very good pairs of D.

Two things 1) Good news is, Brendan Smith is probably not get traded...he just sucks; 2) Luke Schenn? The one Philly traded JVR for (hahahahahaha)? But that would mean breaking up the best duo of brothers since forever. I mean, why would they want to trade Luke Schenn. That trade was a home run for Paul Holmgren.

Who would have thought that trading a stud powerforward for a guy solely because he's brothers with another guy, isn't the best way to manage personnel moves?

Both guys need a change and a chance to clear their heads. Both are very talented, just need time-which is often the case with Dmen. They do seem to take longer to be ready on average.

Of course there is the whole-no cap space thing to deal with......

Edited by Richdg

I do like the talent we have coming up and we develop talent very well. In say 4 years our team could look like this granted Z will be getting ready to head back to Sweden to retire.

In a recent interview Z said he is thinking about staying on Detroit when he retires. He really likes it in Michigan. He's going to be here til he can't play the game anymore, I think. Future GM?

In a recent interview Z said he is thinking about staying on Detroit when he retires. He really likes it in Michigan. He's going to be here til he can't play the game anymore, I think. Future GM?

Sure, after Stevie is done here in a few decades :lol: Maybe coach??

I hadn't seen that. Hopefully he stays on with the team in some capacity. Would be awesome to someday have Yzerman, Lids, Z, Draper, etc.. all in the FO.