• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

A year before your spreadsheet, he signed Marian Hossa.

And a year before that, he signed Brian Rafalski.

One won us a cup. The other got us to back-to-back finals.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#22 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

A year before your spreadsheet, he signed Marian Hossa.

And a year before that, he signed Brian Rafalski.

One won us a cup. The other got us to back-to-back finals.

Hossa called Holland. Then a year later, Holland made the colossal mistake of letting Hossa go.

Rafalski wanted to come home.

I'm glad we had them and all, but these weren't situations that you could say Holland hit out of the park based on his own efforts. I mean, Hossa pretty much negotiated his own deal.

And besides that, the real problem has come up in the years since 2009 when the reality of the Cap started truly affecting the team. When he wasn't getting away with paying Zetterberg $2 million a season, he struggled to build a team around Dats and Z. And it's not even just that he's not luring better players here, he's signing mediocre players to terrible deals. That's the problem.

Edited by gcom007, 05 March 2014 - 06:14 PM.

-Elliot

#23 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

id like to know what hollad plans this offseason. the UFA defensemen arent impressive 

Edited by brett, 05 March 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#24 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

id like to know what hollad plans the offseason. the UFA defensemen arent impressive 

Plans???

#25 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Side note, the trades for the two seconds with Ottawa and the Leino trade with Philly landed us Jurco, XO, and Backman. So not too bad really. Gave up Matt Puempel.

#26 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

id like to know what hollad plans this offseason. the UFA defensemen arent impressive 

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38_zps5ed85d9

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#27 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

ken-holland-2011-5-13-1-10-38_zps5ed85d9

hahaha definitely posting that on facebook if that's ok?

#28 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

hahaha definitely posting that on facebook if that's ok?

Haha, no problem.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#29 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Oh well, another year the D doesn't get fixed.  Imagine if Danny didn't come here?  (Thanx Jimmy Nill!!!!!)

#30 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

Weiss was a huge signing, it just doesn't seem like it because... well... he's done nothing here, either when he was playing or not.  2012-13 was bad. 

Edited by themcityblues, 05 March 2014 - 08:29 PM.

#31 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

We need a top 4 defenceman somehow this offseason...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#32 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

We need a top 4 defenceman somehow this offseason...

I'm thinking a top 2...

#33 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

SOW, just keep in mind, we have 1 fewer prospect to use in a trade......

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Legwand for Jarnkrok +3rd

Letting Filppula walk

Signing Weiss to a 5 year contract without proving himself since injuries derailed his season past

Sammy 

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Cleary re-sign (also instead of Brunner which is partially not his fault)

To a lesser extent not going to extra mile to get Suter/Parise

Modano

and the worst of all...... not retiring when he said he would (when lids retired) - if he had we would be far better off.

Recent good moves:

Hossa fell in Holland's lap

Dekeyser fell in Holland's lap

Alfie fell in Holland's lap

Getting Stuart originally

Letting Leino Walk

Holland is doing far more damage than good to this team in my opinion. The team has consistently regressed. At this point I would prefer a fresh set of eyes to assess the current situation and go forward. I honestly don't give 2 s***s if Legwand is from Detroit - it isn't worth overpaying for him. I can only imagine Holland would have ponied up Nyquist + Mantha + Dekeyser for Kesler if Kesler was 33 instead of 30. He would have but Kesler isn't washed up enough for his taste. Players come to detroit and relax rather than work hard. The exception is Alfie and the rookies who are proving themselves. Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Weiss all came/re-signed here and just took it to signal the end of their careers and join the country club. I hope Legwand doesn't turn out that way. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#35 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

"Hey prime, what are you up to tonight?" a friend casually asked.

Who me?  Oh, just sippin' on some Capri-Sun and filling in a couple new lines on Ye Olde Spreadsheet.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#36 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Letting Filppula walk

Signing Weiss to a 5 year contract without proving himself since injuries derailed his season past

Sammy 

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Modano

and the worst of all...... not retiring when he said he would (when lids retired) - if he had we would be far better off.

Recent good moves:

Letting Leino Walk

Holland is doing far more damage than good to this team in my opinion. The team has consistently regressed. At this point I would prefer a fresh set of eyes to assess the current situation and go forward. I honestly don't give 2 s***s if Legwand is from Detroit - it isn't worth overpaying for him. I can only imagine Holland would have ponied up Nyquist + Mantha + Dekeyser for Kesler if Kesler was 33 instead of 30. He would have but Kesler isn't washed up enough for his taste. Players come to detroit and relax rather than work hard. The exception is Alfie and the rookies who are proving themselves. Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Weiss all came/re-signed here and just took it to signal the end of their careers and join the country club. I hope Legwand doesn't turn out that way. 

This has been beaten to death but here we go again..those 2 were never going to play in Detroit, we offered just as much money, they wanted to play in MInny..end of story..it's been well documented 3243434 times on here.  But hey whatever you have to do to blame Holland for something. I mean all he good things he did just fell in his lap as you say? So he just sits in his office and the phone rings and guys just come here? Cmon

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#37 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

This has been beaten to death but here we go again..those 2 were never going to play in Detroit, we offered just as much money, they wanted to play in MInny..end of story..it's been well documented 3243434 times on here.  But hey whatever you have to do to blame Holland for something. I mean all he good things he did just fell in his lap as you say? So he just sits in his office and the phone rings and guys just come here? Cmon

Holland is stupid and only makes bad decisions didn't you know? I mean come on if you're going to post here you need to ignore all the good things Holland and any vets bring to the table and only focus on the bad. Rule number one around here.
  • Nev likes this

#38 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Sure - thats the deal breaker for you - overlook the rest and pick on that one thing. I said "to a lesser extent."

#39 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Letting Filppula walk

Sammy 

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Modano

Recent good moves:

Letting Leino Walk

Haha, 4 cups since he's been here, I'm pretty sure the only place to go after you win a cup is down.  Never mind those cups fell in his lap, those were all Bowman's work , even the one in 2008 after he was no where even close to the franchise.  It will be 6 years without a cup if we don't win one this year....I mean 6 whole years.    ;)

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#40 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Haha, 4 cups since he's been here, I'm pretty sure the only place to go after you win a cup is down.  Never mind those cups fell in his lap, those were all Bowman's work , even the one in 2008 after he was no where even close to the franchise.  It will be 6 years without a cup if we don't win one this year....I mean 6 whole years.    ;)

The post was clearly marked "Recent moves." In the last 6 years we HAVE regressed significantly - you have to agree with that.