Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

to replace Ferraro...

#2 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Glad to see this happen, but kind of bittersweet for Grand Rapids.  I think Callahan will provide a better presence on the 4th line than Ferraro.

#3 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

I'm fine with this.  Ferraro was ok, I guess.  But his speed covered up for the fact that he wasn't prepared for the speed of the NHL game, and the effects that this has on your decision making threshold.  He was hurried, and played like he was hurried.

Edited by kipwinger, 24 March 2014 - 12:32 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#4 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Unfortunately Ferraro proved why he had not been called up yet. While we have had numerous great storylines of young kids taking their piece of the pie, Ferraro was not one of them. Nor was Pulkinen fro that matter (but this is his first yr in NA and he is a scorer who needs minutes, whole different scenario). Heres to hoping Callahan plays with a burr in his saddle and makes some noise. 

#5 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Im excited about this.

Hopefully he can score some goals, and punch some faces.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#6 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Please have a GH Hat trick against Columbus!!

Edited by AtlantaHotWings, 24 March 2014 - 12:34 PM.

"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#7 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

They do NOT want Tootoo in the lineup at all then, I guess.

#8 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

It was my impression that Ferraro was never going to be an NHLer.  I think they called him up because he's out of options after this year, right?  They saw what he could do, which was...well...nothing spectacular.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#9 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

They do NOT want Tootoo in the lineup at all then, I guess.

No sense in calling him up, Babs will only play him 5 minutes a game so it's a wasted roster spot. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#10 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Unfortunately Ferraro proved why he had not been called up yet. While we have had numerous great storylines of young kids taking their piece of the pie, Ferraro was not one of them. Nor was Pulkinen fro that matter (but this is his first yr in NA and he is a scorer who needs minutes, whole different scenario). Heres to hoping Callahan plays with a burr in his saddle and makes some noise. 

Sheahan, Nyquist, and Tatar grabbed all their piece of the pie after being invited to dinner three times. All three have played in games dating back to the 11-12 season. In fact, only Jurco really made his case with his first shot this year.

Although I don't have high hopes for him, this was only Ferraro's first shot. Just thought I'd point that out.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#11 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,697 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Tootoo just isn't what Babs wanted, I do not even know why Holland signed him.  I would assume that he asks Babs what players he is interested in signing.  Oh well, Tootoo just came off his best offensive production year and was still under 30. Good for Callahan though, maybe we'll see 4 or 5 games of what he has.  We all know he is one of those kids that cannot go back down when the season starts in October.  Decision's will have to be made!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#12 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm fine with this.  Ferraro was ok, I guess.  But his speed covered up for the fact that he wasn't prepared for the speed of the NHL game, and the effects that this has on your decision making threshold.  He was hurried, and played like he was hurried.

I mostly agree with you, but I also think he didn't have enough time to get comfortable. I'm also not in love with the fact that Babs threw him in the deep end and made him kill penalties right away, even though he did a decent job on the PK.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#13 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

No sense in calling him up, Babs will only play him 5 minutes a game so it's a wasted roster spot. 

Also a wasted $1.9 million.

#14 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

8th rookie's the charm!! getem cally!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#15 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

I mostly agree with you, but I also think he didn't have enough time to get comfortable. I'm also not in love with the fact that Babs threw him in the deep end and made him kill penalties right away, even though he did a decent job on the PK.

I mean, I definitely don't think he looked terrible.  I just think he looked like he was in a bit over his head, like Sheahan did in call ups the first couple of years.  The good thing for Ferraro is the fact that he's got legit NHL speed.  If he can keep his focus on defense and pk he'll have a job just because he can skate.

#16 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I mean, I definitely don't think he looked terrible.  I just think he looked like he was in a bit over his head, like Sheahan did in call ups the first couple of years.  The good thing for Ferraro is the fact that he's got legit NHL speed.  If he can keep his focus on defense and pk he'll have a job just because he can skate.

Ya his speed and size reminds me of Jan Mursak.. or maybe thats just because he is right handed. But I hope he doesn't follow the same trajectory. Wings keep burying him, something happens so they can keep him on the roster and then eventually he gets to old to be a prospect anymore and they cut ties. 

#17 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Wrong or right, I've kinda been comparing him to Glendening; but with scoring potential.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#18 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

Ya his speed and size reminds me of Jan Mursak.. or maybe thats just because he is right handed. But I hope he doesn't follow the same trajectory. Wings keep burying him, something happens so they can keep him on the roster and then eventually he gets to old to be a prospect anymore and they cut ties. 

Mursak would have gotten much more ample opportunity to make the roster if he had been able to stay healthy in 2010-11 and 2011-12. But, he couldn't.

#19 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well deserved, should've had it over Ferraro imo in the first place. I know someone mentioned Pulkkinen not looking that great but its true that hes a scorer. Callahan and Ferraro will both be getting looks in the role that they will be playing next year. Ferraro didnt look ready, lets see what Callahan has. Hes had a much better season than Ferraro to date and is a heavier/stockier guy who wont look so weak out there hopefully.

He could give us another presence similar to Glendening out there with legit agitator ability, middleweight scrapper and a PKer. Not sure his goal scoring will ever really transfer but hes shown he can bang in rebounds and tip shots, any scoring from the fourth line is welcome in my eyes.

Hopefully he plays wing over Emmerton on Tuesday. He also leads GR in shorthanded goals

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#20 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

This should be interesting.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate