84 replies to this topic

#21 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

dirty-yes but they need scoring

9-no. greening was 12th in hits this past season for forwards.

Frank-thanks. TBH we could very much use a loose cannon or 2 around the RW's. far to much passivity and civility at the Joe. Remember that commercial they did a couple of years ago. The ne where they were welcoming other teams, had easy listening music, aroma candles etc...... The part they didn't mention was, that was the home locker room!

Greening is big, fast, and will fight here or there, but he's defiantly not gritty. Any Sens fan will tell you he doesn't use his size, he's not aggressive enough, and is inconsistent in his play.

He's basically a poor mans Franzen.

Just because guys don't fight or do it very much doesn't mean they are not gritty. All of the guys listed are Abby size or bigger and most if not all hit more than he does. They all go to the corners, in front of the net etc... Also, like I mentioned before all can skate. last thing, most of these guys are not going to cost an arm and a leg to get. Reasonable trade can be made. You also never know what they can develop into. a 23 year martin that has always been on a checking line could develop into a 20+ goal scorer playing with a guy like Datsyuk.

And likewise just bc Greening was 12th in hits doesn't mean he's gritty

#22 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

the thing is, wings like gritty forwards who is like helm, abby, miller and glendening instead, and it really sucks. only abby play very physical but he is not very hard hitting or tough.

#23 Wings02

Wings02

Thank you dad for not making me a Leafs fan

• 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

I saw Adam Henrique at the bar last night and I mentioned how I was a little pissed that the wings are out and he said he's a red wings fan too and bought me a beer .. New Jersey would be stupid too get rid of him but it would a awesome

#24 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Is it just me, or are half the dudes on that list not gritty at all?  Eller?  Setoguchi?  Those dude are big, sure, but they're cream puffs. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#25 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think a lot of us are missing the point on the grit factor. Most of the players listed here are bottom sixers. We need grit, but we need top 6 forwards with grit. Ones with actual hockey ability. Ones like Wayne Simmonds. Guys like Glendening, Helm, Miller, Abby all can play gritty, bottom 6 hockey. We have no on in the top 6 that plays gritty AND can make plays. That's what we need. Not many players we have talked about are that. They don't grow on trees and are going to be expensive to get, but that's what we need.

#26 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

sign komarov

#27 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

would love hanzal

#28 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Several things.

1. Gritty doesn't mean fighting. I think far to many of you re equating the 2. Eller for example was the Habs leader hitter at F.

2. True none of these guys are superstars. We can't afford a guy like Lucic or Perry. We could offer Nyquist, tatar, Smith, and our 1st and both teams would laugh and say no. We need to find the guys that have some additional upside that hasn't been fully developed yet. Greening for example has scored 17 in a season before. Could he get to 23-25 playing on a top line? Maybe. I personally believe that Martin could get 20 playing on a top line. Not to mention those guys would keep guys like Datsyuk freer by clearing out the D.

3. cap hits. You have to have some cheaper vets on a team. Guys that are role players. No team can afford to have a top 6 of Lucic, Getzlef, perry, Ovie, Crosby, and Malkin. No matter how good that top 6 would be, everyone else would have to be making the league minimum to even field a full roster. Building a line with Z-Dat-Kassian with Kass making 2.5 is the way to go. 2 expensive stars and a cheaper role player.

#29 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:21 AM

ill take mitch callahan.

#30 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:45 AM

I hate Franzen, but greening would be great on a top line. Kill me.

#31 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:51 AM

I don't see them targeting players like this personally, as little as Tootoo was used along with how the Wings have drafted, I could MAYBE see them signing one and using him for 20 games or so. 

With that said, from your list above, Wingels and Greening are both players I like who have some skill (Wingels more than Greening) but throw around the body. They would be good fill-ins for the bottom two lines. 

Unrealistically, Hornqvist is sort of Holmstrom 2.0 and he's someone i'd welcome here. Also Backes (obviously) and Hartnell, both I feel are true "Hockey Players" and have a good balance of every skill needed to be an asset.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#32 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Horn would be good. But Holland seems to like to overpay Nash........... But and this is important, he is also like Hommer in the fact he is limited other than in front of the net. My personnel preferences are Martin and Hanzel. 

ill take mitch callahan.

Nice AHL player but he isn't even as good as Glendening. About the same size as well-a little small.

#33 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I just can't see NYI letting Martin go...

Gazdic would be nice, had a great fight with Lucic this season. He can skate, hit and fight.

Hanzal is tough to play against. Put him against Bergeron/Malkin... again, can't see Yotes letting him go.

I don't know what could be asking price for Simmonds?

Edited by Dominator2005, 04 May 2014 - 08:42 AM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

I just can't see NYI letting Martin go...

Gazdic would be nice, had a great fight with Lucic this season. He can skate, hit and fight.

Hanzal is tough to play against. Put him against Bergeron/Malkin... again, can't see Yotes letting him go.

I don't know what could be asking price for Simmonds?

No team will be letting anyone go. Simmons will cost more than either hanzel or martin.

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

No real sense in trading for these guys until Callahan has shown what he can do. Like he said, hes very Holmstrom like in front of the net and in style. The thing is, he can also dish out the punishment a bit to other teams instead of just taking it like Holmstrom did mostly. Callahan has the speed to get on the D on the forecheck and throws his weight around well. After this season and whats so far (only 2 games) looking like a good playoff run, he needs a chance. 30 goals in the AHL just about, tough, fast, gritty and good defensively. Hes got a lot of things the wings are missing and since hes home grown he should be given a chance

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#36 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think bottom line gritty players are a little overrated for this team. Helm, Glendening, Miller, Abby, Callahan are all gritty enough. We need gritty top 6 forwards to absorb some of the punishment that Z and Dats take. A guy like Evander Kane or Wayne Simmonds would go a long way in terms of taking the load off of Z and Dats. Also you have to consider that Nyquist and Tatar are small guys that will take punishment too. I'd be okay with an overpayment for Kane or Simmonds because it will pay off big time for our team in the long run because we don't have any top 6 gritty players. Corey Perry is a pretty perfect example of what this team needs but he is nowhere near available.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#37 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Horn would be good. But Holland seems to like to overpay Nash........... But and this is important, he is also like Hommer in the fact he is limited other than in front of the net. My personnel preferences are Martin and Hanzel. 

Nice AHL player but he isn't even as good as Glendening. About the same size as well-a little small.

hes played like one game so thats impossible to know. sheahan didnt look good his first nhl games and now look at him.

I think bottom line gritty players are a little overrated for this team. Helm, Glendening, Miller, Abby, Callahan are all gritty enough. We need gritty top 6 forwards to absorb some of the punishment that Z and Dats take. A guy like Evander Kane or Wayne Simmonds would go a long way in terms of taking the load off of Z and Dats. Also you have to consider that Nyquist and Tatar are small guys that will take punishment too. I'd be okay with an overpayment for Kane or Simmonds because it will pay off big time for our team in the long run because we don't have any top 6 gritty players. Corey Perry is a pretty perfect example of what this team needs but he is nowhere near available.

id over pay for ryan callahan too. seems like a huge upgrade over abby.

#38 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

Mitch Callahan. He is essentially Tomas Holmstrom but with extra fightings and yappings.

The loss of Holmstrom in his retirement is one of the most underrated losses on this team by the management staff, and one they've never sought to address. They need to. They can talk about team toughness all they want, but there's no one in the Wings who is a patch on Holmstrom except Callahan.

Just like the "we never replaced Lidstrom" because you can't just go out and replace a player of that caliber, how do you replace the best net-front player since Phil Esposito?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#39 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

Exactly.  We need a guy that can play in the corners and be a puck retrieval guy for Dats and Z.  

Abby is good along the boards and holds his own in the corners but just doesn't have that higher level skill to put up points on the top lines.

hes played like one game so thats impossible to know. sheahan didnt look good his first nhl games and now look at him.

id over pay for ryan callahan too. seems like a huge upgrade over abby.

That's what I was thinking. He'd be perfect for that role and with the cap space it wouldn't be too big a risk. Considering it wouldn't cost any assets.

As far as the names listed in this thread...most of the guys are bottom six forwards and that's really our last need.  In fact it's a position of strength for us.  

We need grit in the top six.  Dats, Z, Nyquist and Tatar need some bigger guys who can actually make a play and have that "relentless digger" mentality. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#40 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

I like Mitch C, but he isn't big enough-he is smaller than Datsyuk, and only has average AHL speed. Yes he works hard-easy to cheer for guys like that, be he is a 3rd liner at best. Not to mention he is a RFA and could walk this summer. He has to clear waivers to go down and I just don't see where there is room for him baring a trade. He is to deep on the depth chart.