• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Datsyukian-Deke

2014 Offseason League Signings and Trades

Rate this topic

Oh boy here come the Eklund rumors. Not sure why the NHL would hold them back.

Apparently the Cory Schneider deal was completed the day before the draft last year but the league wanted to announce it at the draft.

It makes sense, they can get better TV ratings by having the draft include lots of player movement.

Apparently the Cory Schneider deal was completed the day before the draft last year but the league wanted to announce it at the draft.

It makes sense, they can get better TV ratings by having the draft include lots of player movement.

I can buy into that but can't buy into Eklund saying it. Been burned too many times and it hurts....it hurts real deep. *tear

With four days left in which teams can buy out players, I had started writing a lengthy post about which teams might create some interesting UFA options via a buyout.

Then I searched the interwebs and found that Sportsnet had already done that and has been updating via a tracker. See here:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/countdown-to-nhl-buyout-season-what-we-know/

Here are some of my thoughts before I found the Sportsnet article.

(I'm putting it up because I typed a lot. Some of my thoughts may be 'off-base' but... whatevs.

A lot of this was written last week too, so some moves have already happened. Hopefully someone enjoys my late night speculation.)

TWO BUYOUTS LEFT: Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Los Angeles, Ottawa, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Winnipeg

ONE BUYOUT LEFT: Detroit, Edmonton, Minnesota, New Jersey, Nashville, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Washington

Anaheim: I would be surprised if they used a compliance buyout. They have plenty of cap-space and seemingly no one is over-paid or has a contract with bad term.

Boston: They're in a tight space when it comes to players signed/cap-space. Key free-agents need to be signed. No one has unreasonable term on their contracts, but they need to free up some cash. I'm guessing they will probably make a trade before they use a buyout on someone like Marchand, or Boychuck. (The two players most rumored to be moved.)

Buffalo: Leino. Ville Leino. They'd be dumb not to use it on him. As far as the other large contract on the books and big question-mark , Tyler Myers... gotta be more value in a trade or keeping him than buying him out... but he was a former Calder Trophy winner that hasn't had any shine since then. The Sabres don’t need Myers for their future, as they have Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Zadorov and Jake McCabe to build around, as well as Ehrhoff signed for the foreseeable future at a decent cap-hit. Not to mention all those draft picks. Trade up and grab Ekblad?

Calgary: Gotta think that they see more value in trying to trade some of their players under contract than buying them out. With 14 players signed and $32million under the cap, I can’t imagine that they’re trying to shed salary and their most expensive players are at forward: Huds and Jones are at $4million which isn’t completely outrageous. Wideman on D at $5.25 followed by Giordano at a smidge over $4.

Carolina: So, Semin is not compliance buyout eligible. (How the hell did Rutherford make that move?!) Cam Ward is… as is Eric Staal. Two cornerstone pieces of your Cup-winning team. Do you buy them out and truly move on with this franchise? Probably not with Staal, but I could see them moving on from Ward with a buyout if no one bites on him via trade.

Colorado: It’s been speculated that they will not use either of their buyouts. They have 17 players signed and almost $26million in cap space. What happens with O’Reilly’s arbitration and if they decide to re-sign Stastny are their big question marks at this point.

Colombus: Again players that they may want to move on probably have more value in a trade than just buying them out. Umberger would be a welcome addition to some teams. He does have a modified-NTC so if they’re determined to move him and he doesn’t want to budge… although unlikely, I could see them using it.

Dallas: They just used one on Aaron Rome. I don’t see any others being used.

Florida: Nope.

Los Angeles: Mike Richards if they decide not to keep him and he can’t be traded? Dean Lombardi says, “No.”

Ottawa: Nope. Spezza will be traded. Turris, while eligible, won’t be bought out. They have 19 players signed and $20million in cap space. No need to make any moves to clear space and for roster space, they’ll make some trades.

Phoenix: Nope.

Pittsburgh: $16million in cap-space with 14 players signed. Some moves have got to be made. Compliance eligible players not named Sid the Kid and Geno Malkin are: James Neal, Kris(topher) Letang, and Marc Andre Fleury. Good luck, Rutherford.

San Jose: Players eligible for compliance buyout: Forwards: Havlat and Burish, Defenseman: Brent Burns (Does he play defense anymore?!) They’ve got 18 players signed with just over $9million in cap space. Thorton and/or Marleau CANNOT be bought out but are rumored to be on the trading block. If one or both do not move, I could see them using the buyout on Havlat to create some additional space on the roster.

St. Louis: I can’t imagine they’d buyout anyone. They’ve got a few open roster spots to upgrade, tradable assets if necessary, and $22.5million in capspace.

Winnipeg: Pavelec for sure. If they don’t buy him out… I dunno. Cheveldayoff has said they aren’t going to buy him out which I do not understand!! Winnipeg certainly could use an upgrade in net and there will be upgrades available.

Detroit: We already know that Tootoo will be our second compliance buyout if he can’t be moved.

Edmonton: They’ll make some trades before using another buyout.

Edited by e_prime

There is also an Eklund rumor that some deals have already been completed today but the NHL doesn't want them announced till tomorrow.

Its Eklund though so their probably false.

He's probably lying but it'd be impossible to debunk haha

"Trades will be announced at the draft. Some have been in discussion before then. e4"

In other breaking news Chicago is in talks to extend the contracts of Kane and Toews, e4

"Trades will be announced at the draft. Some have been in discussion before then. e4"

In other breaking news Chicago is in talks to extend the contracts of Kane and Toews, e4

Exactly. Someone will get traded today, and then Eklund will do his usual "Aha, told ya" schtick. He's the Miss Cleo of hockey rumor pushers. Nothing he says can be proven wrong with certainty.

I agree that was a "safe bet post" by Eklund. That's like me saying there are some free agents ready to sign with other teams but they are going to wait till July 1st to announce it.

Chicago just spent a little over 2 million combined on Ben Smith and Antti Raanta. That's just over half their available cap space. Unless they move out significant salary I'd say they're out of the Kesler sweepstakes. That leaves only Anaheim unless he's willing to expand his list.

looks like Kesler heading to Anaheim...no doubt Helm, Smith and our 1st would have gotten it done... Kesler back to being enemy #1...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Anaheim will trade Bonino, Sbisa plus 24th overall pick and teams will swap third-rounders once deal goes through

is it me, or does this not seem like a great deal for the Ducks to give up? I mean, if this was all that Anaheim had to part with, then why the hell has this whole thing taken so long?

Unless of course Anaheim are bargaining that Kesler could just walk away in 2 years time.

looks like Kesler heading to Anaheim...no doubt Helm, Smith and our 1st would have gotten it done... Kesler back to being enemy #1...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Anaheim will trade Bonino, Sbisa plus 24th overall pick and teams will swap third-rounders once deal goes through

But Kesler didn't want to come here.

is it me, or does this not seem like a great deal for the Ducks to give up? I mean, if this was all that Anaheim had to part with, then why the hell has this whole thing taken so long?

Unless of course Anaheim are bargaining that Kesler could just walk away in 2 years time.

It doesn't seem like a lot no. Really what it points to is that the rumors were true and Anaheim was one of only two teams Kesler would play for. Murray had Benning over a barrel.

s***ty situation for Benning and the Canucks to be in IMO, and f*** Kesler!!!

The trade makes me hate Anaheim a little more and hate Vancouver a little less.

A hate Kesler most of all for being a diva.

correct.. That is why he is back to being a prick. Av fan growing up, Ohio State player and now doesn't want to come here. My point was, if we were in play, we could have beaten that offer.

Totally. The 15th pcik vs 24th alone would have been a strong starting point.

It works both ways too. As in: I wouldn't be suprised if the Wings brass were none too keen on Kesler anyway and I probably wouldn't blame them if this was the case.

Totally. The 15th pcik vs 24th alone would have been a strong starting point.

It works both ways too. As in: I wouldn't be suprised if the Wings brass were none too keen on Kesler anyway and I probably wouldn't blame them if this was the case.

True. We'd don't know how the Wings would actually feel about Kesler himself as a player. Still, I'm not pissed because it didn't look like we were in the running anyway, and it's not like he went to the Leafs say.

Jason Garrison just went for salary dump... We're reportedly talking to Buffalo for Myers (per Dreger), maybe we could pull off something similar (Pulkkinen + Kindl + 3rd?)

Jason Garrison just went for salary dump... We're reportedly talking to Buffalo for Myers (per Dreger), maybe we could pull off something similar (Pulkkinen + Kindl + 3rd?)

If we trade for Myers there will definitely be a first involved, whether it be this years or next.