• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Rivalred

Kaylee G Future and the Red Wings

Rate this topic

Ah...eff it. I debated about whether I would post one of my usual unfunny sarcastic comments about this, but I'm going to venture into these murky waters for the purpose of stimulating discussion.

Look, while I agree that the entire situation was blown out of proportion, I can't help but feel a little...uncomfortable... about the whole situation. Let me tell you why.

Anyone who has ventured onto Twitter or any other social media site knows the type of bulls*** dumbass people spew into the ether. Most official accounts are inundated with ignorant, sometimes downright offensive tweets containing openly racist, homophobic or whatever other disgusting tripe some turd burgler farts out that day. These tweets, maybe rightfully so, go unresponded to. But today, the issue the Red Wings official twitter decided to address was a vapid but lighthearted, inoffensive tweet that looked to be sent out by a teenage girl that disparaged no one but maybe herself. While the Wings' tweet wasn't offensive, the litany of comments **** shaming this young woman WERE. Any social media person worth his/her salt knows how the internet works, and was aware of the attention that would be brought to this girl.

Maybe *I'M* overly sensitive to this issue, because female fans are still held to a standard of "proving themselves" that male fans are not. We (those of us who swing that way, anyway) are expected to turn off our sexuality in order to be accepted as "true fans." God forbid I, as a straight woman, appreciate an attractive, fit, talented man while watching a game I love. I must not be a "real fan" . I must be a puck ****. Hell, I made a post about Fedorov's underpants today FFS.

TL;DR. Short version? Blown out of proportion, but I can definitely understand why someone could have a problem with the situation. Also, I know that everyone's mileage may vary--the challenges I've faced as a female hockey fan may not be every female hockey fan's experience.

Now I'm going to go back to my Laga and thinking about Fedorov's underwear. Is it October yet?

Ah...eff it. I debated about whether I would post one of my usual unfunny sarcastic comments about this, but I'm going to venture into these murky waters for the purpose of stimulating discussion.

Look, while I agree that the entire situation was blown out of proportion, I can't help but feel a little...uncomfortable... about the whole situation. Let me tell you why.

Anyone who has ventured onto Twitter or any other social media site knows the type of bulls*** dumbass people spew into the ether. Most official accounts are inundated with ignorant, sometimes downright offensive tweets containing openly racist, homophobic or whatever other disgusting tripe some turd burgler farts out that day. These tweets, maybe rightfully so, go unresponded to. But today, the issue the Red Wings official twitter decided to address was a vapid but lighthearted, inoffensive tweet that looked to be sent out by a teenage girl that disparaged no one but maybe herself. While the Wings' tweet wasn't offensive, the litany of comments **** shaming this young woman WERE. Any social media person worth his/her salt knows how the internet works, and was aware of the attention that would be brought to this girl.

Maybe *I'M* overly sensitive to this issue, because female fans are still held to a standard of "proving themselves" that male fans are not. We (those of us who swing that way, anyway) are expected to turn off our sexuality in order to be accepted as "true fans." God forbid I, as a straight woman, appreciate an attractive, fit, talented man while watching a game I love. I must not be a "real fan" . I must be a puck ****. Hell, I made a post about Fedorov's underpants today FFS.

TL;DR. Short version? Blown out of proportion, but I can definitely understand why someone could have a problem with the situation. Also, I know that everyone's mileage may vary--the challenges I've faced as a female hockey fan may not be every female hockey fan's experience.

Now I'm going to go back to my Laga and thinking about Fedorov's underwear. Is it October yet?

There is definitely a double standard there...It's awfully hard for me to judge a woman for their attraction to any male athletes when weighed against the thoughts that go through my head when I see women's tennis.

Agreed. To me a puck bunny is more someone like this. If I meet a girl in a wings jersey and Starr up a conversation about what players we like and what not and she says oh I like player "x" and I say, oh why is that he hasn't really been good for a while, and she responds with "oh really? He is totally hot and has a cute butt".

That's when I walk away. If I meet a woman well educated in the sport and who doesn't base players skill on the size of their jock strap I will talk for hours with them about hockey.

And fyi, I find your little quips about the players underpants amusing. You are definitely not a puck ****

Guest Playmaker

The person responding from the Red Wings site was likely an intern who wanted the job because they were a fan of the Red Wings and either wants to marry a Red Wing or is a Red Wing wannabe.

Sports Marketing 101: Never alienate any fans, ever. Official sites like this, if they reply at all, would reply with something like "Thanks for being a fan of the Detroit Red Wings, Kaylee!"

She is clearly a young girl and girls that age say stuff like that. I'm pretty sure most of them turn out to be productive adults. The follow up of "Girls and Boys need to be taught that a woman has more value than physical appearance". WTF does that have to do with her wanting to marry a Red Wing? Maybe she was thinking Datsyuk or Zetterberg will marry her because she's a smart girl? So this clown on the Red Wings site thinks it's up to them to offer advice? If some teenage girl wants to fantasize that she's going to marry a Red Wing or Justin Beiber or whoever, let them be. No need to embarrass them publicly. Too many horror stories of kids who've taken internet embarrassment personally. Hope the intern was canned.

Puck bunnies are my reason for living.

Aside from my girlfriend.

Hockey.

My family.

And fedorovs underwear.

Ha.

But honestly.

I don't think they intended to shame her, I think they were trying to be encouraging and just didn't think it through.

Plus if I'm not miataken,

Its a woman that runs the red wings official Twitter

Couldn't help but notice you rant against homophobia and then you used a homophobic slur..

Anyone who has ventured onto Twitter or any other social media site knows the type of bulls*** dumbass people spew into the ether. Most official accounts are inundated with ignorant, sometimes downright offensive tweets containing openly racist, homophobic or whatever other disgusting tripe some turd burgler farts out that day.

Guest Playmaker

Dude, you may want to check your urban dictionary ;) Not sure where what it means where you're from, but that isn't a homophobic slur in these parts ;)

Dude, you may want to check your urban dictionary ;) Not sure where what it means where you're from, but that isn't a homophobic slur in these parts ;)

Associating that phrase with homophobia is actually kind of homophobic if you think about it.

Couldn't help but notice you rant against homophobia and then you used a homophobic slur..

Interestingly enough, where I grew up that wasn't a term that had anything to do with homosexuality, was used more like "mouth breather" or something. I forget that other places it does. Apologies.

Just saw this today, and while I don't think its that big of a deal, I do have to say that The Wings commenting on it just made it seem like it was it was ok for every jackass to come out of the woodwork and pile on this girl. Who lets face it, did nothing wrong other then say that she like the Wings. They should have just stayed out of it and instead started a twitter feud with another organization, like what the Kings do. And Guys let's face it if Lidstrom was a chick we would be writing the same thing on our twitter accounts.