• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:14 AM

Looks like Adam signed a two year deal with Several Tjerepovets, too bad would've liked to see him get a decent chance to make the NHL.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/khl/article19114871.ab

#2 Shinzaki

Shinzaki

Rookie

• Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:31 AM

Eh...he wasn't going to plya in Detroit this year and the Wings retain his NHL rights.  If he develops physically and adds a little bulk...they an revisit his status down the road.

#3 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

I thought he would at least go to camp and give it a shot.

Edited by Ekmanc, 25 June 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#4 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Good luck hopefully he bulks up a lot and tries the NHL after his khl stint.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#5 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Good luck. Best move for him I think.

#6 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

This is what happens when you completely ignore your defensive prospects like what Holland did with Adam last year. He essentially realized that if he didn't get a chance last year with all the problems Detroit had on the blue line he's never going to get a chance in Detroit.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#7 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

This is what happens when you completely ignore your defensive prospects like what Holland did with Adam last year. He essentially realized that if he didn't get a chance last year with all the problems Detroit had on the blue line he's never going to get a chance in Detroit.

He wasn't ignored, he's not good enough.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#8 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ditto. Or big enough.

#9 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

The 2 games he played for us he looked like the best PMD on the team. His ability to run a PP is also something we're sorely lacking on our blueline. 

Not crazy about losing him to the KHL, I'd love it he returns eventually but with so many young d-men coming up it'll be difficult for him. I thought he would have a good chance to outbattle guys like Kindl, Lashoff, Sproul, Backman and Ouellet this season, it won't be easier in a year or two. 

#10 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,614 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

One RFA down...what to do with Callahan and Ferraro now....

AA wasn't going to make the club, he said its the NHL or Europe.  Jarnkrok would have done the same thing...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#11 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:47 AM

Honestly, if Almquist had the skill and attitude to make it in the NHL, he would not leave for Russia. I dont think we will see him again.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#12 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Holland's desparate for a RHD that can play the PP.

You'd have to think that if Almquist isn't good enough to make the team under these circumstances, then he's just not good enough. Plain and simple.

• Nev likes this
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#13 krsmith17

krsmith17

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

I think that Almquist may have gotten a slightly better look if he had been a right handed defenseman, but in the end I think he would have ultimately been cut due to lack of size and foot speed. Maybe if he were a little more committed to adding a little bulk to his frame, things would have worked out differently. Almquist was always a long shot to make the NHL and in the end he came just short.

#14 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

I think that Almquist may have gotten a slightly better look if he had been a right handed defenseman, but in the end I think he would have ultimately been cut due to lack of size and foot speed. Maybe if he were a little more committed to adding a little bulk to his frame, things would have worked out differently. Almquist was always a long shot to make the NHL and in the end he came just short.

Yeah, my bad. I thought he was a righty for some reason.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#15 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

Ditto. Or big enough.

How many times over the years have we heard that so and so is not big enough to play in the NHL? It took Rafalski forever to get to the NHL because teams thought he was too small. I'm not putting Almquist in the same category as Rafalski but using him as an example that the size argument has a tendency to be overrated. Plus he's not that small, he's 5'11, yeah he weighs only 174lbs but we've seen in the past athletes put on muscle in the offseason.

With the amount of problems the Wings had on the blue line last year Almquist should have gotten a look, then we could actually debate whether he's good enough to play in the NHL or not. At the very least it would have shown a young player that he has value to the organization, which could have kept him in Grand Rapids a year longer before he would have decided to jump ship to the KHL.

Honestly, if Almquist had the skill and attitude to make it in the NHL, he would not leave for Russia. I dont think we will see him again.

A lot of players don't go to the KHL because they're not good enough to play in the NHL, they go because they can get an opportunity to play and will make more money.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#16 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would have rather Kenny traded him to a team where he would get an immediate chance to play instead of letting him walk. He had a great season with the Griffins last year with 31 points and you get nothing out of it.

#17 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

It's not just size, you can be small if you're fast. He's not fast enough. It doesn't matter how well he moves the puck if 99% of the league can win most puck battles against you.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#18 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

I would have rather Kenny traded him to a team where he would get an immediate chance to play instead of letting him walk. He had a great season with the Griffins last year with 31 points and you get nothing out of it.

So he can come back to burn us? At least in the KHL he can't hurt, only get better and we retain his rights. If he shows commitment and lights it up, then maybe things will change and he'll get a shot. 

temp 1

#19 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Everyone keeps bringing up Rafalski, but keeps forgetting that Rafalski could skate.  Almquist can't.  Remember Rafalski his last 2 years when his back and his knees went and he couldn't keep up?  It was painful to watch opponents repeatedly beat him round the outside because he had neither the size nor the speed to stop them.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#20 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

If he couldn't "immediately" play for our terrible defense, then there aren't many places he would have played around the league.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.