• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

If Larkin forces his way to the team , what will we look like?

Rate this topic

If larkin were on most teams he'd be probably playing this year for sure ... That being said what if larkin dominates camp and pre season and forces the organization to fit him in

Where does he play? I think he'd be good on the 3rd line center spot but first thought that's sheahan/helms spot right ? Who would we trade away?

At first thought with pavel gone to start the year and if mule returns ...

Zetterberg sheahan abelkader

Tatar richards nyquist

Pulkkinen larkin Franzen

Miller helm glendening

Who's left out? Andersen, cleary ...

If pavel returns then we'd have to potentially get rid of a pulkkinen to keep larkin unless mule returns and when pavel returns sheahan goes down to 3rd moving larkin to 4th ? Can't see the wings trading sheahan

Just rambling on here , great chances he starts in Grand Rapids if we go by wings past ways

Just can't wait for the season to start

Even with Datsyuk starting the season on IR, and if Helm isn't ready to go (which I think he will be), or another player gets injured, I still think Larkin starts the season and in all likelihood plays the entire season in Grand Rapids...

This. The only way I can see Larkin coming up is if another center gets hurt. Detroit has a ton of options down the middle - Datsyuk, Richards, Sheahan, Glendening are the likely centermen, but they can turn to Zetterberg and Helm as well. They won't call him up unless he's playing in the group of top-nine players.

Right. Detroit has Datsyuk. Richards, Zetterberg, Sheahan, Helm, Ferraro, Andersson, and Glendening down the middle already. That's 8 guys who can play C. He's not going to get time because of C's being injured. It's going to be because he's just too good to ignore. Which I don't see happening. He's awesome, but to overcome the amount of depth we currently have he has to be the next coming. And I think he's great, but I don't expect that from him, it's hard to expect that from any player.

Edited by number9

im betting that andersson gets sent down through waivers.

jurco/pulk go as healthy scratches to start rotating with miller

larkin waits in GR for 2 injuries to stack up. then he can visit the "show"

also figuring on franzen not making it too long...other teams dont like him personally and will target him again.

They won't be rotating into a fourth line role.. one will play on the third line and they will take turns on that line, they couldn't rotate in to millers spot they aren't grinders and can't pk and if helm isn't ready Nosek may make the team unless like you guys are saying Larkin is too good, he aced everything now lets see what he can do in the pre season.

If Larkin comes to the NHL this early what will we look like?

Well pretty s**** in the future I'll tell you that. Larkin needs to develop more in grand rapids, it's for his own good and ours.

I hated how Jurco was brought in and his talents were wasted with linemates he shouldn't have been with. It was a serious detriment to his development and his confidence.

IMO the only way he makes the line up is if 5 of our 8 potential NHL ready centers went down with injury. I don't wish that bad of a fortune on the Detroit Red Wings!

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him playing with us.. but I'm making a case for "the greater good" here.

If Larkin comes to the NHL this early what will we look like?

Well pretty s**** in the future I'll tell you that. Larkin needs to develop more in grand rapids, it's for his own good and ours.

I hated how Jurco was brought in and his talents were wasted with linemates he shouldn't have been with. It was a serious detriment to his development and his confidence.

IMO the only way he makes the line up is if 5 of our 8 potential NHL ready centers went down with injury. I don't wish that bad of a fortune on the Detroit Red Wings!

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him playing with us.. but I'm making a case for "the greater good" here.

This 100%. I'd much rather see larkin play top six minutes in GR and potentially dominate than play bottom six minutes in Detroit.

They'll watch him carefully all year long of course and, depending on how he develops, there could be strong consideration to bring him up next season.

This 100%. I'd much rather see larkin play top six minutes in GR and potentially dominate than play bottom six minutes in Detroit.

They'll watch him carefully all year long of course and, depending on how he develops, there could be strong consideration to bring him up next season.

Or bring him up for the playoffs if the griffs are out of it.

I agree with this. I hope the Wings don't just keep him up to play bottom 6 minutes. He has the potential to learn at the AHL level this year and they really should make sure he starts with the Griffins. Keep in mind that Larkin has not felt the grind of a long AHL/NHL season. I would like to see how he does after 40 games, 60 games, and then 70 games.

He did play ALOT of hockey last year though.

I have faith in the new coach in grand rapids, but I'm still a little hesitant to say whether or not hell be the right fit for them.

Its tough I get that. The Griffins were a mediocre team before Blashill. Even when loaded with talent, they just didn't have the right coaching and chemistry. Yea, I get it, the coach can only do so much, but I know that Blashill inherited the team that Frasier had the year before and took them to the Calder Cup Championship. Todd Nelson does look like he is going to be solid for the Griffins, but I am only cautiously optimistic at this stage. I still believe that Larkin is going to benefit from a long season in the AHL. Yea, he played a lot of hockey last year, but I don't think he topped 60+ games.

Like others have mentioned be heading played a full season at the AHL or NHL level, he be good and creates chemistry where and who he plays with, but he needs to mature and be seasoned at a pace he can keep confidence give it whatever or wherever it be

I agree with this. I hope the Wings don't just keep him up to play bottom 6 minutes. He has the potential to learn at the AHL level this year and they really should make sure he starts with the Griffins. Keep in mind that Larkin has not felt the grind of a long AHL/NHL season. I would like to see how he does after 40 games, 60 games, and then 70 games.

They won't. In an interview Ken Holland did on september 25th he mentioned that either he gets good Wings minutes or he goes down to AHL for top minutes.

I advocated for him staying in AHL atleast a year, but I must admit I think he's ready. Only needs a bit more beef and probably some refined corner & trap skills. If he gets the chance to play in the big league this season I'll watch it live despite living in Sweden.

He's been playing against nhl top lines and had been scoring points. Im thinking they should keep him up to see if he can actually maintain that level of play in real games.

If he could be the nhl 1c right now, they need to make it work.

He's been playing increasingly harder conpetition from college to the world juniors to them worlds to them ahl playoffs now preseason hockey playing against malkin Crosby and bergeron and he's scoring.

I wanna see if he can actually be a top 6 c right now. Because I think he can. Having Him dominate the a and gain chemistry with mantha as AMD Bert is cool, but he may already be a top 6 center in the nhl.

Wow talk about overhyping a player again, 0 in words zero NHL games and some are already having him in the top 6. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of Larkin but he is playing PRE season hockey. Guys like Crosby know they're on the team no need to go full speed just yet, the pre season is a change for the young guys to try their best and impress the coach.

there is a reason why a lot of impressive young players aren't looking so impressive when he real season starts and some are getting send down quickly.

there is no need to rush the kid let him develop and see were it goes would rather have him in Grand Rapids building a top line with Mantha and come up next year. This isn't a cup contender anyways so no need to rush the kid.

Edited by frankgrimes

I'm not over hyping him. I said ID give him a chance and see if he can roll with it.

Worse case scenario we send him back down after 9 games and his elc won't slide, best case scenario he proves he can be a top 6 c and we can make some moves.

I didn't say he was already guaranteed to be a top 6c, aand the reason I used the top 6 c as a reference point is because if he can't be in the top 6 then we'd send him down to be the#1 c in gr.

So stop with all your hyperbole over hyping him.

I said give him a chance to stick, but only to prove he can be a top six c, I listed his competition he played against and said we should see what he can do in there real nhl season. I didn't anoint him the hands down elite 1c.

I figured when i said "let's see if he can Maintain his play in there real season." I understood that Crosby/malkin/bergeron weren't going all out, which was also implied in what I said. GIVING HIM A CHANCE to see if he COULD be that guy.

It should go without saying, that if he didn't continue to play like a top sixer then we could send him to grand rapids.

Maybe you didn't think through what i was saying and it caused you to completely miss out on all the things implied within what I said, but I'm not over hyping him.

I'm giving him the hype he's earned.

That's not rushing the kid.

That's giving Him an opportunity to show how far along he truly Is since the oppositions stars aren't going all out against him in the preseason. look at it like this.

If he's down in grand rapids and he is already a legitimate NHL star then there's nothing for him to learn there, and theres a chance we could stunt his growth or he possibly loses the momentum of his incredible progress.

I said give him the chance.

Not trade Pavel datsyuk and make him #1 c Just based off his preseason play.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

It was more a basic example of how overrated the pre season and therefore the performance of these young kids is. Larkin is just an example.

The most important thing is that he seems to be on the right development track.

I'd say let him go to the AHL dominate there with Mantha and be the first call up.

In my view, he's probably ready, but should stay down 1 year, playing good minutes and bulking up. A callup for 2-3 games a few months in wouldn't hurt as eyecandy. Not much more to add regarding this. Nice find. Me likey.

the biggest reason I've seen people wanting him to get sent down is to bulk up, which he probably will add 10-15 more pounds of muscle in the next few years, but he's already pretty damn big and strong. I haven't seen him get bullied, pushed around, or thrown off the puck yet.

He's already listed at 6'1'' 190.

Which is pretty good size.

I'm hoping him getting up to around 210/215 doesn't slow him down any, Cuz that speed is incredible.

It was more a basic example of how overrated the pre season and therefore the performance of these young kids is. Larkin is just an example.

The most important thing is that he seems to be on the right development track.

I'd say let him go to the AHL dominate there with Mantha and be the first call up.

I know the star players don't come out and compete as hard as they can, but you're basically saying that the preseason doesn't matter in terms of the roster. Like if a kid dominates the preseason, its chalked up to the lower level of competition. It seems pointless.

Which is why I said I'd give him the chance to show he can do it in the real nhl season, to see what we actually have. And you can't deny, that the kid has looked amazing so far.

no, what I'm trying to say is that the pre season is a chance for young players to impress against mostly other peers and veterans that aren't going full speed.

I like most think Larkin has done that, yes I want him to bulk up signs be around 210 when he comes up. but more importantly would be developing chemistry with Mantha.