• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings7

Byfuglien - What would he cost?

Rate this topic

Anyone for Byfuglien at forward?

I like having 7 guys in the lineup who can play d in the playoffs.

Nah. We need a top 4 d-man. Simple as that. Won't make a deep run without one.

unless Ericsson plays like he did last game

Byfuglien probably wouldn't cost much, because he's on an expiring contract. I'm eager to see what happens there and also with two other desirables in Kevin Shattenkirk and Dennis Wideman. Shattenkirk is probably the crown jewel of this Might Be Available class of defensemen (with Byfuglien a very close second). For what it's worth, the Blues have been winning in his absence. The emergence of Colton Parayko (4G, 3A in 11 games. Not too shabby!) may ultimately lead them to move Shattenkirk. But, of course, the season is still very young and anything can happen. Who knows.

I'd also be looking at a few other, less celebrated names, e.g. Ryan Ellis, Mattias Ekholm, Simon Despres.

Anyone for Byfuglien at forward?

I like having 7 guys in the lineup who can play d in the playoffs.

The numbers show that he's a much better defenseman than he is a forward. Middling forward versus borderline-elite top-pairing defenseman. And he doesn't like playing forward anyway.

Edited by Dabura

Aside:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-lightning-look-to-move-contracts-to-re-sign-stamkos/

Speaking of the Ducks and defensemen, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reports GM Bob Murray might be willing to move one of his in order to either save his job or that of embattled coach Bruce Boudreau.

Garrioch claims Murray is “listening to offers” for Cam Fowler, but he’s also set a high price for the 23-year-old defender and is apparently only interested in dealing him to an Eastern Conference team. If the Bruins and Blue Jackets are still looking for blueline help, they might want to give the Ducks’ GM a call.

If Murray is indeed peddling Fowler or another of his good young defensemen, he’ll probably want a scoring forward in return. The Ducks are currently the league’s lowest-scoring team.

Also:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-contract-talks-on-hold-but-dont-expect-jets-to-deal-byfuglien/

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien frequently popped up in the off-season rumor mill. His eligibility next summer for unrestricted free agency and the Jets reputation as a budget club fuelled speculation he could be dealt this season.

ESPN.com’s John Buccigross was asked by one of his readers if the Detroit Red Wings might take a run at Byfuglien. While Buccigross believes the Wings are well set for cap space, he doubts they’ll target “Big Buff” because the 30-year-old blueliner isn’t an organizational pillar.

To date, there’s no word regarding the status of contract negotiations between Byfuglien and Jets management. It appears both sides are willing to see how the season unfolds before they get into serious discussions. One thing’s for sure, the Jets won’t be moving him anytime soon.

Isn't an organizational pillar? And which of our defensemen are organizational pillars? How many of our guys log big minutes against the opposition's best players and manage to put up big points and push possession in the right direction? Because that's what Byfuglien does.

I don't think we target him, though, and I think it'll have everything to do with "character" and a belief that he "wouldn't be a good fit in the locker room." Which, I dunno, fair enough, I guess. He does seem like a bit of an ass clown. And, when you think of "Red Wing type players," you don't really think Dustin Byfuglien. Which, I'd contend, is a reason why we should be interested in him. We're too samey. But, whatevz. I'm not a GM.

Acquiring Byfuglien in 2015 would be the equivalent of acquiring Rasheed Wallace in 2004. First, it would give the team a little swagger. A little moxie. Second, it would be the most "Detroit" thing the Red Wings could do. An intense, hulking, maniac representing an intensely maniacal city would be perfect.

Let Zetterberg be the stoic, humble, face of the franchise. Let Byfuglien be a wrecking ball.

We can only hope the Jets fall out of the playoff picture. it's our only shot

In the toughest division in the NHL, they could end up being the best team that doesn't make the playoffs because of the way the seeding is structured.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2015/10/28/9625390/nhl-playoffs-central-pacific-division-western-conference-chicago-winnipeg-minnesota-nashville-dallas

Well, trade for him or not I think the Wings shoud HIGHLY pursue him (or re-sign him if acquired) in the Summer. He will probably be the most sought after UFA defenseman and will probably cost a lot of money. BUT, since we haven't heard much about Franzen, I got a feeling that his $3.9M may be opening up and Richards probably won't be re-signed, so there $6.9M right there to start with, find about $2M or so more and we could be in the running!

Well, trade for him or not I think the Wings shoud HIGHLY pursue him (or re-sign him if acquired) in the Summer. He will probably be the most sought after UFA defenseman and will probably cost a lot of money. BUT, since we haven't heard much about Franzen, I got a feeling that his $3.9M may be opening up and Richards probably won't be re-signed, so there $6.9M right there to start with, find about $2M or so more and we could be in the running!

Quincey's 4M will potentially be coming off the books as well. But Abdlekader and Helm are UFAs and a few of the kids are RFAs, including Mrazek.

Plus, Holland has to save that money for Kopitar or Stamkos.

Byfuglien is the perfect fit for this team IMO, especially with the injury to Mike Green. I would be super excited to have him on the Red Wings but with the Jets being a very good team this year, I would think they would want to have him in hopes for a deep playoff run so acquiring him will be very difficult.

Acquiring Byfuglien in 2015 would be the equivalent of acquiring Rasheed Wallace in 2004. First, it would give the team a little swagger. A little moxie. Second, it would be the most "Detroit" thing the Red Wings could do. An intense, hulking, maniac representing an intensely maniacal city would be perfect.

Let Zetterberg be the stoic, humble, face of the franchise. Let Byfuglien be a wrecking ball.

This ^

We need an intense, hulking, maniac since Kronwall stopped hitting people.

Ya, but, you know AS SOON as Holland acquires him, BAM! Upper/Lower body injury. It happens ALL the time....it's the Gambino Curse or better yet the KGB Curse.

All kiddign aside, Byf is the way to go if you want to seriously upgrade your D. Like I said before in this thread, put in on the top pair and then in front of the net on the top PP. Problem is you HAVE to re-sign him. Kenny needs to have that already mapped out, trade for him and have his $8M package ready to offer him. 6 years. That'll allow you to dump Erection and whicheve one of Kindl/Smith is left over after this trade. I'd up my ante right now to WPG and offer Helm, Smith, Sproul and a 1st. Maybe even another prospect along the lines of Holmstrom, Turgeon, or Nastasiak. It's time to get serious. Next years D COULD resemble something like this:

Kronner - Byf

Danny D - Green

XO - Marchy

Jensen

You let Q go, dump E and K for a pick(s)

Byfuglien on a long term contract would be a terrible idea in my opinion, especially at upwards of $8M. The guy is a beast but he's not exactly in the best shape at the age of 30, I can't imagine that getting much better in his mid 30's... I don't know, maybe he will remain an elite defender into his mid to late 30's, but I picture him falling and falling hard in the next few seasons...