• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Vegas Golden Knights

Rate this topic

On 2017-05-05 at 5:09 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Agreed.  They are going to be dangerous next year.

I dunno about next year. Too many holes in their team. But if they take the right guy first overall and get a good return from Kovalchuk's rights, they'll have a good start.

On 2017-05-12 at 0:26 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

that's called a trade and you can do it at anytime before the trade deadline basically

Yep. Once your season is over you can make trades with any other teams who aren't still in the playoffs. No signing any pending NHL free agents until July 1 though, unless you trade for their rights and they sign. But once the deadline for XDraft protection lists hits, no deals until LV has selected their roster. Then free game again.

Edited by chaps80

I like the options, and I like the protected list, except I'd protect Jensen over ouellet. No biggie though. I seriously hope Holland does some trades with McPhee because it will not help us at all to lose Sheahan or Sproul. We need to lose about $4M to Vegas, then we need to trade about $8M more before the season starts. Ericsson, Howard, Nyquist or Helm. Any three of those four would the best ideally. 

Regarding Kronwall, I'm willing to bet that he'll inform McPhee that if he is selected, he will retire. I like that he's potentially not protected, but don't see him changing addresses with his deteriorating knees. He'll take 6th/7th duties here or call it a career.

Alex Burrows– Tomas Plekanec – Cal Clutterbuck

Matt Beleskey – Shipachyov– Lee Stempniak

Scott Wilson – Kevin Hayes– Devante Smith-Pelly

Michael Raffl - Vladislav Namestnikov– Nail Yakupov

Adam Lowry– Calle Jarnkrok - Freddie Hamilton

Curtis McKenzie

Colton Sceviour

Jack Johnson – Jonas Brodin

Trevor Van Riemsdyk – Luke Schenn

Paul Martin – Cody Franson

Luca Sbisa – Brayden McNabb

Griffin Reinhart

Josh Manson

Alexey Marchenko

Jimmy Howard

Philipp Grubauer

Calvin Pickard

Linus Ullmark

Estimated Salary Cap: 61.8 million

Shipachyov – 4.5 million

Total Salary Cap: 66.3 million

That article sums up why Helm and Glendening shouldn't have gotten the contracts they did very nicely.

I protect Sheahan over Nosek though, I don't think there's any way in hell Vegas takes Nosek and if Sheahan turns things around they might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd for him at the deadline.

I agree with most of that article, but protecting Nosek over Sheahan seems like a mistake to me. If only for the consideration that Sheahan had some interest at the trade deadline. We could trade him in the offseason or see if he turns it around and maybe trade him at the deadline. From what I've seen, I've never thought Nosek would be a player for us. I understand that he's more than a PPG in this year's playoffs - has he been that good to suddenly get some hype on him?

We're less than a month from the draft - It will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I agree with most of that article, but protecting Nosek over Sheahan seems like a mistake to me. If only for the consideration that Sheahan had some interest at the trade deadline. We could trade him in the offseason or see if he turns it around and maybe trade him at the deadline. From what I've seen, I've never thought Nosek would be a player for us. I understand that he's more than a PPG in this year's playoffs - has he been that good to suddenly get some hype on him?

We're less than a month from the draft - It will be interesting to see what happens.

Nosek's production is better than Sheahan's was in the AHL. This season and playoffs particularly took it to another level is what I'm hearing. I went and looked up both their stats when they played for Griffins and Nosek has some very good numbers comparatively overall. If this projects into the NHL, he should have a higher ceiling than Sheahan.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=102439

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123527

He may end up being a cheaper option down the road. I would trade Sheahan if there's any interest for him but if there isn't I would expose him over Nosek. Then again, none of those two are going to put a dent in our chances of winning a cup down the road tbh so I doubt it matters who is exposed between the two; maybe only slightly.

Edited by kickazz

11 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

AHL stats don't mean a guy will be an NHL player. I haven't seen much that makes me think Nosek will be more than a so so 4th liner at best.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

One could say the same about Sheahan. Which is basically my point. So exposing either won't really matter. Unless Sheahan really did have trade value at deadline. At which point I would trade him for whatever it was. 

Edited by kickazz

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

Nosek's production is better than Sheahan's was in the AHL. This season and playoffs particularly took it to another level is what I'm hearing. I went and looked up both their stats when they played for Griffins and Nosek has some very good numbers comparatively overall. If this projects into the NHL, he should have a higher ceiling than Sheahan.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=102439

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123527

He may end up being a cheaper option down the road. I would trade Sheahan if there's any interest for him but if there isn't I would expose him over Nosek. Then again, none of those two are going to put a dent in our chances of winning a cup down the road tbh so I doubt it matters who is exposed between the two; maybe only slightly.

The problem with comparing their AHL stats is that Sheahan only played about 1.5 years there. Also, In their first years, Nosek does have a better PPG, but Sheahan's 2nd - incomplete - year has a much better PPG than Nosek's 2nd year. So, I'm not sure that AHL stats show Nosek to have a higher ceiling.

But, anyway, I was really on the side of keeping Sheahan so we can trade him. I didn't think of the better scenario that you mention - where we trade him before the expansion draft. That makes the most sense. Then we still get a return for him and then if we don't have either of these cheap prospects exposed, it might be more likely that one of our larger contracts gets taken. The only problem with that is that teams may not want to take on a player that they have to protect then.

McPhee has already mentioned that he is willing to take on some bigger contracts for assets in return. Being an expansion team with literally nothing in the pipeline, they will be looking to add as much as they can in the way of picks / prospects. I'm really hoping Holland takes full advantage of this and offers up a 3rd and / or a mid-tier prospect to get them to take a bad contract off our hands. If we wanted Vegas to take Howard, I really don't think it would take a whole lot of convincing to do so. Ericsson would maybe be a little more difficult, but could likely be done as well. This should prove to be a very interesting offseason, with the expansion draft, having our first top 10 pick in over a quarter century, and the playoff streak no longer a thing. It's time for Holland to prove he's still got it, and pull of some big moves to get this franchise turned around and headed in the right direction again.

If he can somehow rid this team of at least one bad contract, land a top pairing defenseman via trade (without mortgaging the future), and make some smart picks at the draft, landing at least one stud center / defenseman, I think everyone would consider this offseason a major success. It is possible to do all of this in one offseason, and if he somehow pulls it off, I think he can get the franchise on the fast track back in contention.

12 hours ago, kickazz said:

One could say the same about Sheahan. Which is basically my point. So exposing either won't really matter. Unless Sheahan really did have trade value at deadline. At which point I would trade him for whatever it was. 

Sheahan has more value than Nosek and is likelier to be taken.  If I was Vegas and my choices were XO, Sheahan, or someone ona  bad contract, I'd probably take Sheahan hoping that he bounces back with a new team and I can move him at the deadline.  Nosek would have zero value to me unless I wanted to stock the farm team.  They won't need to get cheap young 4th liners, because they're probably not going to be anywhere close to the cap.  In fact, they're probably going to want a couple guys on bloated deals just to get to the floor.  

5 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Sheahan has more value than Nosek and is likelier to be taken.  If I was Vegas and my choices were XO, Sheahan, or someone ona  bad contract, I'd probably take Sheahan hoping that he bounces back with a new team and I can move him at the deadline.  Nosek would have zero value to me unless I wanted to stock the farm team.  They won't need to get cheap young 4th liners, because they're probably not going to be anywhere close to the cap.  In fact, they're probably going to want a couple guys on bloated deals just to get to the floor.  

And what exactly is his value? Something worth hanging on to or not? That's what Holland is going to be thinking before he exposes him.

Edited by kickazz

He has a history of being a decent 3rd line center.  One bad year doesn't erase that, but his value right now is still pretty low.  If he comes back and has 10 goals and 12 assists or something at the deadline they could probably get a 2nd rounder for him.  Nosek, best case scenario, is he's as good as Glendening.  There's no value there.

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

He has a history of being a decent 3rd line center.  One bad year doesn't erase that, but his value right now is still pretty low.  If he comes back and has 10 goals and 12 assists or something at the deadline they could probably get a 2nd rounder for him.  Nosek, best case scenario, is he's as good as Glendening.  There's no value there.

Nice speculations.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I'm confused. You say if Sheahan "comes back and scores 10 goals and 12 assists" as if that would be a good thing, yet that's basically the production of Luke Glendening from the 2015-16 season (8 goals, 13 assists); someone you are comparing Nosek to. So are Sheahan, Nosek and Glendening one in the same? As in.. are they all 4th line players and nothing more? 

I think Kickazz alluded to that a few posts ago. 

For the record, it's not just one bad season, the last two full seasons Sheahan and Glendening have had similar productions. They're both at the same level. I would even argue that Glendening is more useful to us since he can actually win a lot of faceoffs, spend more time on the PK and actually throw hits and do aggressive checking (something Sheahan is allergic to for some reason even though he's a canadian boy). 

If Sheahan truly is regarded as a 3rd line center by the league then I would for sure trade him asap because statistically speaking he's producing about the rate of our 4th liner. So if the GM's are foolish enough and are willing to give up a pick, then Holland should pull the trigger before it's too late. I don't see a future for Sheahan on this roster, not with all the centers we currently have and are probably going to draft. Add in the fact that he's due for a contract soon. We have cheaper options. 

But even if we don't trade him and expose him, it's still not as big of a loss as you're making it out to be. I doubt he'll get us anything special. 

Edited by kickazz

The bottom line on this is that the Wings drafting echelon used a first round pick to acquire in theory a bottom 6 / checking forward (supposedly) which we had plenty of at the time. They were hoping for a top 6 power forward which he hasn't panned out to be up till now. Maybe moving him up to play his projected role could help, alongside Larkin and Mantha is an interesting proposition. I'm in the minority here but I believe that Nosek will be a solid 4th C for the Wings next season which could make Glendening surplus but then I would say the contract He has would suggest otherwise. Going to be an interesting few weeks but we will have some movement on the upcoming roster that's for sure.

Glendening is a replaceable part made almost immovable by a stupid contract. They should be able to easily move on from guys like him and Helm because they're on cheap short term deals. Instead both are signed 2 years too long for $800k + too much money.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

The NHL expansion draft is on June 21st. Vegas' free agent window opens 72 hours prior at 10am on June 18th, at which time the NHL will release all 30 teams' protected lists.

I expect we will see some trades in the coming weeks leading up to the 18th. Hopefully Holland gets involved and makes some big moves to shed some bad contracts and free up some cap space.