• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sjr2012

Non Stanley Cup Seasons that were the most shocking

Rate this topic

Non Stanley Cup Red Wings team that should have won   30 members have voted

  1. 1. What non stanley cup Red Wings team was the most shocking when they didnt win and should have won it

    • 1995-96
      12
    • 1998-99
      4
    • 2002-03
      10
    • 2003-04
      0
    • 2005-06
      5

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

which one of these teams was the most shocking when they were defeated and should have won it all alot would say the 96 roster with that amazing reg season but i felt shocked when the 2002-03 team got sweeped by the ducks

Edited by sjr2012
Wingnut1989 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sjr2012 said:

which one of these teams was the most shocking when they were defeated and should have won it all alot would say the 96 roster with that amazing reg season but i felt shocked when the 2002-03 team got sweeped by the ducks

That was my vote. Not only did we lose first round to a low seed, but it was the sweep that made it shocking.

chaps80 and Wingnut1989 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I said 05-06. Our team was ridiculously stacked even then and we were presidents trophy winners and lost to an 8th seed. And it wasn't because a goalie wore big pads, we got man handled by Edmonton. 

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I said 05-06. Our team was ridiculously stacked even then and we were presidents trophy winners and lost to an 8th seed. And it wasn't because a goalie wore big pads, we got man handled by Edmonton. 

true but i think it was a dumb decision not going with ozzy than because i think he was the better goalie choice over manny i loved legs but in the p/o he should not have been starting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

true but i think it was a dumb decision not going with ozzy than because i think he was the better goalie choice over manny i loved legs but in the p/o he should not have been starting 

I don't know, our offense couldn't really penetrate their defense. They had that "A" formation (one man up 4 back) whenever we carried the puck into their zone. We were getting screwed from all corners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kickazz said:

I don't know, our offense couldn't really penetrate their defense. They had that "A" formation (one man up 4 back) whenever we carried the puck into their zone. We were getting screwed from all corners. 

ugh i know ill never forget that 6th game that was horrible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of those teams, I picked 99.  That was the year we got Chelios and we were already back to back champs and our roster was loaded for the next year.  If Osgood doesn't get injured, we probably would have three-peated.  However, overall, I think 95 was the most shocking.  The Wings steamrolled everyone through the regular season, dominated every team they faced in the playoffs, then crashed into a brick wall in the Finals.  I feel like if they had played anyone else, Wings would've won.  I still look on that season fondly as if they had won the Cup though.  That was a fun team and great era of hockey.

15 hours ago, kliq said:

That was my vote. Not only did we lose first round to a low seed, but it was the sweep that made it shocking.

The fact that the Presidents trophy winning Stars got bounced in the next round in 5 games helped take away the sting.  That whole playoff situation with Giguere's pads, what a travesty.  Minnesota got swept and almost didn't score a single goal in that entire series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most shocking was probably 95-96. Best record in NHL history, then got swept by the Devils....

But the one that hit me the hardest was definitely 2002-03. At that point in time we usually owned the Ducks in the playoffs (swept Teemu, Kariya & company a few years before that). And just when I was finally starting to get over the heartache, Sergei Fedorov not only leaves us, but of all teams, he signs with them...ouch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, TheDetroitRedWings said:

The most shocking was probably 95-96. Best record in NHL history, then got swept by the Devils....

But the one that hit me the hardest was definitely 2002-03. At that point in time we usually owned the Ducks in the playoffs (swept Teemu, Kariya & company a few years before that). And just when I was finally starting to get over the heartache, Sergei Fedorov not only leaves us, but of all teams, he signs with them...ouch.

that was 94-95 when we got sweeped by the devils 95-96 was our year for the best record but we lost in the conference finals to the avs who went on to win the cup :)

Edited by sjr2012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

that was 94-95 when we got sweeped by the devils 95-96 was our year for the best record but we lost in the conference finals to the avs who went on to win the cup :)

Was going to say the same thing....95/96 was the year for me....I was thinking they were going to steamroll through the entire playoffs.  I think a big part is due as well to the fact that they were 40+ years from the last cup win at that point and it looked like it would come to an end.

The year before against the Devils could have been a choice as well....but heading into the playoffs I didn't have the same feeling (perhaps because it was a shortened reg season...they always feel different).  Shocking though because they only lost 2 games through the first 3 rounds and then got swept in the finals (this may have been the birth of the trap where teams starting seeing this as a way to win)

sjr2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

that was 94-95 when we got sweeped by the devils 95-96 was our year for the best record but we lost in the conference finals to the avs who went on to win the cup :)

You are correct sir. Somehow managed to mix those years up. 94-95 should be on the list as well lol

sjr2012 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Of those teams, I picked 99.  That was the year we got Chelios and we were already back to back champs and our roster was loaded for the next year.  If Osgood doesn't get injured, we probably would have three-peated.  However, overall, I think 95 was the most shocking.  The Wings steamrolled everyone through the regular season, dominated every team they faced in the playoffs, then crashed into a brick wall in the Finals.  I feel like if they had played anyone else, Wings would've won.  I still look on that season fondly as if they had won the Cup though.  That was a fun team and great era of hockey.

The fact that the Presidents trophy winning Stars got bounced in the next round in 5 games helped take away the sting.  That whole playoff situation with Giguere's pads, what a travesty.  Minnesota got swept and almost didn't score a single goal in that entire series.

Agreed, but if we are talking about how I felt in the moment, the Anaheim series was the most I have ever been shocked. 

BS equipment aside, that run by Giggy was probably the most impressive in NHL history. 

31 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

 

Was going to say the same thing....95/96 was the year for me....I was thinking they were going to steamroll through the entire playoffs.  I think a big part is due as well to the fact that they were 40+ years from the last cup win at that point and it looked like it would come to an end.

The year before against the Devils could have been a choice as well....but heading into the playoffs I didn't have the same feeling (perhaps because it was a shortened reg season...they always feel different).  Shocking though because they only lost 2 games through the first 3 rounds and then got swept in the finals (this may have been the birth of the trap where teams starting seeing this as a way to win)

Ya that was the year we set the record for most wins in the regular season, and were coming off the finals. I thought we would beat Colorado that year and win the cup. That one hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did people really think we'd win the Cup in 2003?  We're talking about an old team coming off a long Cup playoff run.  

The 1996 team was the most shocking non-Cup winner.  That team won 62 games and dominated the league that season.  As soon as the playoffs started, they started stumbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Did people really think we'd win the Cup in 2003?  We're talking about an old team coming off a long Cup playoff run.  

The 1996 team was the most shocking non-Cup winner.  That team won 62 games and dominated the league that season.  As soon as the playoffs started, they started stumbling.

It's not that I was "shocked" that we didnt win the cup, what shocked me was getting swept by a 7th seed team in the first round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, kliq said:

It's not that I was "shocked" that we didnt win the cup, what shocked me was getting swept by a 7th seed team in the first round.

No Hasek bro.

Whenever we won a championship with Hasek on the roster, we ended up choking the following year without him.

Edited by kickazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joesuffP said:

Beating Anaheim in 2013 was one of my favourite series ever

Until the choke of the following round, which still gets me.  

20 hours ago, kliq said:

It's not that I was "shocked" that we didnt win the cup, what shocked me was getting swept by a 7th seed team in the first round.

I guess I'm still confused by the "spirit of the thread".  Are we talking about most shocking playoff season where the Wings finished empty handed, or the most shocking single series?  If it's the latter, then I agree getting swept by the Ducks was the most shocking.  Losing to Edmonton in 2006 is right up there also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Honestly, 2012 for me. They absolutely obliterated teams all year long in puck possession and Jimmy Howard was at his peak. They lost in 5 to a s***ty team. That's hockey for you sometimes.

I was never shocked in any of the Legace/Dave Lewis years

Edited by shocky2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

Honestly, 2012 for me. They absolutely obliterated teams all year long in puck possession and Jimmy Howard was at his peak. They lost in 5 to a s***ty team. That's hockey for you sometimes.

I was never shocked in any of the Legace/Dave Lewis years

In hindsight, being a 5 seed is the highlight of the last five seasons, but I don't remember them "obliterating" anyone.  The only thing I remember from that season is how painful it was to watch Lidstrom play.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, shocky2002 said:

Honestly, 2012 for me. They absolutely obliterated teams all year long in puck possession and Jimmy Howard was at his peak. They lost in 5 to a s***ty team. That's hockey for you sometimes.

I was never shocked in any of the Legace/Dave Lewis years

Huh?  They absolutely obliterated teams so much they finished in 9th place overall?

Edit....and the team they lost to in the playoffs was a higher seed....

Edited by toby91_ca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Huh?  They absolutely obliterated teams so much they finished in 9th place overall?

Edit....and the team they lost to in the playoffs was a higher seed....

@shocky2002 fails to realize that great teams usually have great possession numbers because they are great, as what he incorrectly believes is that great possession numbers means you are a great team which is obviously not the case. He is obsessed with possession, and that year I believe we ranked 1st, hence "we dominated".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0