• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Official 2018 NHL Amateur Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, BinMucker94 said:

That would be one hell of a draft right there.

I agree. I am a huge AA fan, and would hate to trade him, but if we're getting Wahlstrom in the deal, then I feel it would be something that I'd have to do...PLUS, who knows what kind of holdout he'll be for us this time around!

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

I agree. I am a huge AA fan, and would hate to trade him, but if we're getting Wahlstrom in the deal, then I feel it would be something that I'd have to do...PLUS, who knows what kind of holdout he'll be for us this time around!

Don't the Wings and AA go straight to arbitration this year with if things go south in negotiations? Of course the last guy that went to arbitration got to go to the Western Conference finals so arbitration isn't all bad. 

27 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Don't the Wings and AA go straight to arbitration this year with if things go south in negotiations? Of course the last guy that went to arbitration got to go to the Western Conference finals so arbitration isn't all bad. 

Yes, he is arbitration eligible, that is true, but that may work in HIS favor considering the amount of goals he has scored for us the last two season's. Also, I believe if he gets awarded a contract instead of just signing one, he cannot be traded for the first year of it. But, again, I am not advocating trading him for the sake of it, but if he brought us the opportunity to have another top 10 pick, more specifically, Oliver Wahlstrom, then I'd do it.

39 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Athanasiou, picks 36 and 81 to NYR for pick 9.

9 - Oliver Wahlstrom

Gonna take more than that, methinks. One of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk will be available at #9, and each of those players is sexier, more promising, more valuable than AA + two 2nds. IMO.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Gonna take more than that, methinks. One of Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk will be available at #9, and each of those players is sexier, more promising, more valuable than AA + two 2nds. IMO.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'd add to it, but without giving up next year's first, the deal probably wouldn't get done, regardless how many 2nd tier assets we could throw in... 

How about Athanasiou, 2nd, 3rd, Saarijarvi and Nastasiuk... :tounge:

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I'd add to it, but without giving up next year's first, the deal probably wouldn't get done, regardless how many 2nd tier assets we could throw in...

I'm more interested in Edmonton's 1st (10th overall), because it's Chiarelli and it sounds like he might be looking to make a shortsighted panic move. But even there, the ask is probably going to be way too much for us.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/edmonton-oilers-trading-their-first-round-pick-quite-possible-this-year/wcm/fe19d49a-8bca-41df-b27a-77392e82cd3a

How about one of the Isles' two 1sts (11th and 12th overall)?

16 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm more interested in Edmonton's 1st (10th overall), because it's Chiarelli and it sounds like he might be looking to make a shortsighted panic move. But even there, the ask is probably going to be way too much for us.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/edmonton-oilers-trading-their-first-round-pick-quite-possible-this-year/wcm/fe19d49a-8bca-41df-b27a-77392e82cd3a

How about one of the Isles' two 1sts (11th and 12th overall)?

Wahlstrom wouldn't likely be available at 10, 11 or 12, but then again, he'll probably be gone before 9 as well. One of those picks might get us Veleno though, so I'd definitely consider it. Regardless, a very good player is going to drop to the middle of the first like every year. I just hope Holland is looking at potential trade options to move up, especially where we have those 3 picks between 29-36.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Wahlstrom wouldn't likely be available at 10, 11 or 12, but then again, he'll probably be gone before 9 as well. One of those picks might get us Veleno though, so I'd definitely consider it. Regardless, a very good player is going to drop to the middle of the first like every year. I just hope Holland is looking at potential trade options to move up, especially where we have those 3 picks between 29-36.

Right, it'd be Veleno I'd be pursuing. The cost of being able to draft Wahlstrom is almost inevitably going to be too steep, but if Veleno's available at 11 or 12 or later, that might be doable. Maybe. Possibly. (Probably not.)

8 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Completely agree.

DeKeyser (2 mil retained per year), Jensen, and our 31st pick for their 10th?

You said you agree that it would take more and then you offer less... Athanasiou, 2nd and 3rd round picks > player dump, 3rd pair defenseman and 2nd round pick...

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not sure Nielsen would waive his NMC to go to Montreal though.

IMO, if both of Serron Noel and Mat Samuelsson are not on the board when we pick at Vegas' spot, I trade back and try to acquire the two more high 2nds. But ONLY for 2nds, none of this 2nd and 3rd crap, we'd be losing out then, we may as well just keep our 3 picks in between 28-36 in stead of just two and a fourth 3rd. The whole idea would be to have 4 picks in between 32-38. If Montreal does not want to be a player, then the Isles have #41 and #43 in the 2nd.

Plus I still use one of my 6th's on Liam Kirk.

Dont think MTL would want him either. Plekanec has stated publicly he wants to go back to the Canadiens. That should fill their need for a 3rd line european center

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Completely agree.

DeKeyser (2 mil retained per year), Jensen, and our 31st pick for their 10th?

Edmonton needs players that help now. Dekeyser, Jensen won't help much and the late first rounder doesn't help them anymore than their 10th overall would. If they trade that pick it will be for a guy that we wouldn't want to give up. Think Larkin or Mantha.  

Dekeyser at this point is probably worth a 3rd and Jensen a 5th or 6th rounder. Adding those two together won't move you up 21 spots in the draft which is essentially what your proposal is doing.

If we want to trade up into the top 12, it will cost next years 1st. No way around that.

Guys Nielsen isn't going anywhere. Full NMC, and yet I see him mentioned in every trade proposal. With the addition of Svech and Rass to the lineup, he may actually have the wingers next year to center a scoring line. I think he'll have a better season be cause of it.

Agreed about Nielsen... he's probably here to stay through his contract. Trade chips would more than likely include Nyquist, Athanasiou, Helm, Glendening, Frk, Dekeyser, Jensen, Ouellet. I would say Ericsson as well, but I don't think anyone would even, remotely, want him.

I feel we'll be solid with picking Bouchard, Hughes, or Boqvist. I prefer the first 2 guys. Bouchard can probably step in right away, but Hughes may have the higher ceiling. Watch his play, the kid is like Larkin but on defense and even more creative.

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Read the article

Ok. I read the article. Now what?

I'm not sure what you got from the article, but what I got is that Chiarelli doesn't want to wait for the 10th overall pick to develop, he wants immediate help, preferably a right shot defenseman. Jensen obviously isn't close to what they'd be looking for in a right-handed defenseman, and DeKeyser just gives them more of what they already have. According to the article, they probably wouldn't have much interest in our Vegas pick either.

One interesting takeaway was that they could be interested in a "young offensive defenceman on the cusp of being an NHL regular". I'm not sure how I feel about giving up Hronek, or if they would even be interested (he may still be a year out), but it could be an option. Maybe we could put together a package including Hronek and Nyquist. Probably still not enough though... Unfortunately, we're not a very good trade partner for a team looking for high impact, right-handed defensemen... Maybe if Green were still under contract, he would be a trade chip... Oh well...

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Guys Nielsen isn't going anywhere. Full NMC, and yet I see him mentioned in every trade proposal. With the addition of Svech and Rass to the lineup, he may actually have the wingers next year to center a scoring line. I think he'll have a better season be cause of it.

Who are you kidding? It will be...

Helm - Nielsen - Abdelkader

Rasmussen - Glendening - Svechnikov

:ok:

Nielsen can score points, he just needs wingers that he can score with. He was doing very good with Vanek before Vanek got injured. I am not saying bring Vanek back, but he needs a scoring winger to put up points. I remember even when it was Nyquist - Nielsen - Helm, they were doing well together. I just don't get Blashill and why he doesn't try to stick with combos that are successful. You don't HAVE to have Nyquist with Z, or on the top line. Put players together that gel. Remember Mantha - Larkin - Frk? I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Ras - Nielsen - AA as a unit.

...that being said, :lol: this is the draft thread! Sorry!, but I was wanted to address to Nielsen subject.

But ya, Jonas, I don't think that package would get a 10th OA pick. We'd have to send someone of value and with potential.  DD has lost value over the years, Jensen, for as much as I like him, is a bottom 6, depth pairing guy. I love AA, but if we were guaranteed getting #7-#9ish, and we could draft Wahlstrom, I'd trade AA.  But it would cost much more than that, plus if the draft shakes out like most insiders are predicting, I think Wahlstrom goes #7 anyhow, so we'd really have to up to offer to get it. Maybe, MAYBE we'd still be able to get him at #8 if we could make a deal with Chicago, because IMO, if Vancouver doesn't select him, Chicago will grab him for sure, they need scoring wingers. Here is my proposal to Vancouver or Chicago:

Nyquist (since Chicago has been rumored to be interested in him) AA, Vegas 1st for #8. ONLY if Vancouver does not draft him at #7.  If we are trying to deal with Vancouver, then we'd have to up the ante a bit, because they hold the cards, plus they are losing the Twins, so they really need player(s) to take those spots. I'd offer them an entire line of Nyquist - AA - Svechnikov plus Vegas 1st for their #7. There is no guarantee that they'd even be interested in that because Nyquist is on an expiring contract and probably holds no future value to them. Although they could be intrigued with teaming him up with Pettersson.

I've seen a couple mock's that have Wahlstrom going to Arizona at #5 as well. We just may have to face it that, we probably aren't getting BOTH a top notch blueliner and a top notch RW'er in the top 10, we'll have to "settle" (I say that like whomever we draft is settling for him :lol: ) for one or the other, its just up to Holland to deem who the best player available is. If Bouchard and Wahlstrom are both there at #6, that is going to be a flip of a coin decision, because either one of them would help our rebuild tremendously and IMO, you couldn't go wrong with either one of them. Unless Holland pulls a miracle and either snags #5 or #7 somehow, someway. If we somehow walked out of the 1st round with BOTH Bouchard and Wahlstrom, holy crap!

Edited by LeftWinger

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You are totally right, btw.  I understand that no other team in their right mind would give us something of value for our crap.  But after the Tatar trade, I still hold .001% optimism that another team thinks DeKeyser is a good defenseman because Holland dumped 5 mil a year into him.  And I have a hard time believing another team wants to give up a top 4 NHL damn in his prime.  Throw in that It's Chiarelli, and we may have perfect conditions to pull off another heist. 

This may be our only hope in getting a deal done for that 10th overall pick (or any top 10 pick). Chiarelli is not a smart man...

46 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

This mock draft has us picking 4 Dmen  in the rounds #1, and #2...

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/detroit/71/

This is probably one of the least reputable mock drafts out there, but I don't like it... We need offense just as much as we need defense. Ideally we'd take at least one center and winger with those 4 picks. I still say best player available, but 2 defensemen and 2 forwards would be my ideal.

Another one that has us taking Bouchard. I like that much about it anyway...

26 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I keep AA, Larkin, Bertuzzi, Helm, and Jensen in front of others.  Tough to coach speed.

Meh, I like speed as much as anybody, but skill and smarts should be number one on everyone's list. Larkin has all 3. I like Athanasiou a lot, but he's one of our better trade chips right now. Bertuzzi looks like he'll be a very good middle six winger. Helm is a good bottom six winger / center. Jensen is a good bottom pair defenseman. None are untouchable (except Larkin) in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

If Tkachuk falls to 6... do the Wings take him?

I feel like it's also tempting if Wahlstrom is available.. but obviously we need a top D prospect.

I'd consider Wahlstrom or Tkatchuk if the top 5 goes Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Bouchard, but I'd still probably lean toward Hughes or Dobson, or preferably trade back at that point. If Bouchard is still on the board and they take Wahlstrom or Tkatchuk, I'd be a little pissed off. Both are going to be great players, but our need for an elite defenseman is too big to take a winger at 6 in my opinion...