• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

2018-2019 Opening Night Roster - Dedicated to BlueAdams!

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Buppy said:

Question is where on the Yakupov-Crosby scale do you think Hughes will fall. 

It would have to be fairly high or Carolina wouldn't consider it, so at least a Matthews or Tavares. While from our end, a Crosby/Ovie/McDavid level would be too high a price. 

Now, assuming the 1st coming back was top-5, and we could expect something like Hanifin/Johansen, I'd say yes at Tavares, still no at McDavid, and at Stamkos I'd have to dig in to what I thought the 2nds would be worth.

Fair point.

Maybe the Wings aren't high enough on Hughes that they'd need an impossibly good offer. And maybe there are teams that are high enough on him that they're willing to give us more than we feel he's worth to us, and so we move the pick. Personally, I'm high enough on Hughes that it's hard for me to envision these conditions being met. But, again, maybe the Wings don't actually share that enthusiasm. It's possible, if unlikely.

If I rate Hughes as "generational" (e.g. McDavid), I don't move him for anything.

If I rate Hughes as a non-"generational" superstar franchise player (e.g. Stamkos)... I would really need to be blown away by the offer. [Hanifin-caliber young player] + top-5 pick + early 2nd + early 2nd wouldn't do it for me...unless, perhaps, I'm high enough on someone else in the 2019 draft class that I feel the trade package is easily more valuable to my team than a Stamkos-caliber player by himself is.

If I rate Hughes as not-quite-a-Stamkos-but-not-too-far-off (e.g. Seguin), I might accept a top-5 pick + [young player who I'm over-the-moon about]. But that young player who I'm over the moon about would be, like, an Ivan Provorov, i.e. probably an untouchable. ...Unless, again, I'm high enough on someone else in the 2019 draft class that I feel the trade package is easily more valuable to my team than a Seguin-caliber player by himself is.

If I rate Hughes as really-good-but-maybe-not-quite-Seguin-tier (e.g. Larkin), then I'm actively shopping the pick.

---

It's still early days, but if Hughes takes a big step forward in his draft year (and he very likely will), we could be looking at someone comparable to Auston Matthews. If I had to put Matthews into one of the above classes (tough call because he's still so young), I'd say he's Stamkos-caliber. So, if Hughes is flashing that kind of potential in his draft year and I -- the Red Wings -- am quite certain he can reach those heights...and I feel Hughes is much better than any and all of his draft class peers...then that pick is only getting moved if someone makes me an offer I can't refuse. I take the player I feel is going to be a powerhouse centerman over the collection of picks and the good-not-great young roster player.

Edited by Dabura

My initial impression of J Hughes is a good one. I was a Bouchard guy for most of last year, occasionally beating the Tkachuk drum, but I really changed my mind last second to Quinn Hughes (watched a lot of video draft week). Q Hughes is gonna be a great Dman, I like to think he plays the hold-on-to-the-puck Karlsson/Dahlin style offensive Dman game that I'm coming to appreciate more. Kids got mad speed and puck control for a Dman. Anyway, they're saying J Hughes is much better than his brother Quinn. If that's true he's probably real gud IMO. Maybe an 80 pt forward (aren't they shrinking the goalie pads soon?) IDK I haven't watched him play yet. Just measuring hype levels.

33 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My initial impression of J Hughes is a good one. I was a Bouchard guy for most of last year, occasionally beating the Tkachuk drum, but I really changed my mind last second to Quinn Hughes (watched a lot of video draft week). Q Hughes is gonna be a great Dman, I like to think he plays the hold-on-to-the-puck Karlsson/Dahlin style offensive Dman game that I'm coming to appreciate more. Kids got mad speed and puck control for a Dman. Anyway, they're saying J Hughes is much better than his brother Quinn. If that's true he's probably real gud IMO. Maybe an 80 pt forward (aren't they shrinking the goalie pads soon?) IDK I haven't watched him play yet. Just measuring hype levels.

Quinn's acceleration is off the charts.  He separates from traffic faster than anyone in the draft, including Dahlin.  If he fills out, he could be the best pick in that class.

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He good. He real good.

11 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Quinn's acceleration is off the charts.  He separates from traffic faster than anyone in the draft, including Dahlin.  If he fills out, he could be the best pick in that class.

Imagine having Hughes - Larkin - Veleno - Turgeon as our four centers... Talk about speed down the middle...

Here are some lines IF Zetterberg plays and Glenny is traded. 

image.png.099e75fd5b87422361aacea0eab558a5.png

If we want Zadina and Rasmussen up, The cap will just not work if Zetterberg plays, UNLESS there is a trade like Nyquist or Glenny. Even after waiving Witko and Frk we are still $25,000 over the cap. 

If Zetterberg plays (which I have maintained all summer that he won't) there MUST be a trade or we will not see Zadina or Rasmussen up here. Until a LTIR injury of course.

Here is your roster WITH Zetterberg playing, no trade and of course no Zadina or Rasmussen...pathetic. (no, not lines, just roster)image.png.3cef5a7b1460066a4f98751fff283bd3.png

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If we want Zadina and Rasmussen up, The cap will just not work if Zetterberg plays, UNLESS there is a trade like Nyquist or Glenny. Even after waiving Witko and Frk we are still $25,000 over the cap. 

If Zetterberg plays (which I have maintained all summer that he won't) there MUST be a trade or we will not see Zadina or Rasmussen up here. Until a LTIR injury of course.

Here is your roster WITH Zetterberg playing, no trade and of course no Zadina or Rasmussen...pathetic. (no, not lines, just roster)image.png.3cef5a7b1460066a4f98751fff283bd3.png

If we go with Khan's take, then Z "won't be ready" (i.e. is done) and all three of Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek will be on the opening night roster.

Even if Z plays, we know Rasmussen is pretty much guaranteed to make the team out of camp. So, no matter what happens with Z, we're getting at least one new kid right away.

Z playing could indeed mean that Zadina starts the season in Grand Rapids, which would be disappointing. But he wouldn't be there long.

If Holland does decide to make a trade before the puck drops on Game 1, I'm thinking it's Jensen or Nyquist.

28 minutes ago, Dabura said:

If we go with Khan's take, then Z "won't be ready" (i.e. is done) and all three of Rasmussen, Zadina, Hronek will be on the opening night roster.

Even if Z plays, we know Rasmussen is pretty much guaranteed to make the team out of camp. So, no matter what happens with Z, we're getting at least one new kid right away.

Z playing could indeed mean that Zadina starts the season in Grand Rapids, which would be disappointing. But he wouldn't be there long.

If Holland does decide to make a trade before the puck drops on Game 1, I'm thinking it's Jensen or Nyquist.

No cap room for Rasmussen without a trade or waiving Frk.

image.thumb.png.be935f7b0b0412cdc5d5474236125183.png

If Zetterberg plays, there WILL HAVE to be a trade in order to promote Rasmussen. If no trade, then no kids. Period. Unless you waive BOTH Witko and Frk. 

Basically if Zetterberg plays, no kids. If Zetterberg LTIR, Three kids at least.

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

image.thumb.png.be935f7b0b0412cdc5d5474236125183.png

If Zetterberg plays, there WILL HAVE to be a trade in order to promote Rasmussen. If no trade, then no kids. Period. Unless you waive BOTH Witko and Frk. 

Basically if Zetterberg plays, no kids. If Zetterberg LTIR, Three kids at least.

I'd gladly waive Frk and Witkowski, and a surprising amount of others on this team as well

But you are correct. If Zberg plays the team will have to explore trade options. Custance says he's already heard that from 1 Red Wings source.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Kicking Z and Trading Glenny is not required to make room. As was said, there are waiver and trade options to make room.

We waived Frk two years ago for AA. Then we spent 80% of last year force feeding him one-timers on the PP and he scored the same number of goals as Glendening. If it comes to it we will waive Frk to make room for Rasmussen. 

Also, there is already room under the cap to fit Hicketts, and replacing Frk would allow us to upgrade to Hronek instead. Or if we kept Hicketts, and instead replaced Jensen with Hronek, we could then waive Witko for Zadina. Or we could also do that without replacing Jensen if Frk was claimed by someone (though I don't see much reason to keep Jensen). 

In short, Ras will be on the team, as will one of Hicketts or Hronek. Frk and Zadina will depend on Zetterberg/other injuries/trades. 

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

We waived Frk two years ago for AA. Then we spent 80% of last year force feeding him one-timers on the PP and he scored the same number of goals as Glendening. If it comes to it we will waive Frk to make room for Rasmussen. 

Also, there is already room under the cap to fit Hicketts, and replacing Frk would allow us to upgrade to Hronek instead. Or if we kept Hicketts, and instead replaced Jensen with Hronek, we could then waive Witko for Zadina. Or we could also do that without replacing Jensen if Frk was claimed by someone (though I don't see much reason to keep Jensen). 

In short, Ras will be on the team, as will one of Hicketts or Hronek. Frk and Zadina will depend on Zetterberg/other injuries/trades. 

Right.

We've finally reached that point where NHL virgins making the team out of camp is something to be expected. It's a brave new world.

I agree, there are a lot of scenarios and options. Which is why the sky is not falling.  I'd love a way to keep Frk and Witko as our extras and have all of Rasmussen, Zadina and Hronek on the team. Ufortunately, that will only be an option at the expense of Zetterberg LTIR or a Trade of some significant salary. ie...Nyquist.  BUT I, as all of you do, believe that Nyquist value will be highest at the TDL, so we'll see what happens come October.

I agree, there are a lot of scenarios and options. Which is why the sky is not falling.  I'd love a way to keep Frk and Witko as our extras and have all of Rasmussen, Zadina and Hronek on the team. Ufortunately, that will only be an option at the expense of Zetterberg LTIR or a Trade of some significant salary. ie...Nyquist.  BUT I, as all of you do, believe that Nyquist value will be highest at the TDL, so we'll see what happens come October.

Personally, I'm expecting an injury or two in training camp. Deus ex machina, baybee.