• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2019 Trade Deadline

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm relatively positive that when Vanek signed this summer it was specifically said that he requested the NTC because he did NOT want to be traded again at the deadline. Can't really blame the guy, he's been traded at the last 2 deadlines and has bounced around 6 different teams over the last 4 er 5 years. The mans got a wife and three kids, that's gotta take a toll on the family.

I hear ya. I just think it could be possible that he just wanted more say into where he goes if he does go at the deadline. I'm sure he's always wanted to win the Cup (what player hasn't), and this could be one of his last opportunities. Of course it could be that he just doesn't want to be traded, but... maybe not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Vanek can see his kids in 3 months and use FaceTime lol if he doesn’t want to deal with being traded he should go back to Europe , ken Holland is literally the only gm that would give vanek a ntc which is just ridiculous 

I mean Holland probably wanted the 35 year old on a 1-year deal, and Vanek wanted to be in Detroit... but Vanek is probably smart enough to know that if he signs a 1-year deal with a basement team he's gonna be trade fodder at the deadline again. Pretty reasonable to say he probably demanded an NTC in exchange for signing a 1-year.

So we don't get a 3rd round pick for him this year, womp womp, that's better than committing term to a 35+ player at this point IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean Holland probably wanted the 35 year old on a 1-year deal, and Vanek wanted to be in Detroit... but Vanek is probably smart enough to know that if he signs a 1-year deal with a basement team he's gonna be trade fodder at the deadline again. Pretty reasonable to say he probably demanded an NTC in exchange for signing a 1-year.

So we don't get a 3rd round pick for him this year, womp womp, that's better than committing term to a 35+ player at this point IMO

I find it hard to believe if Holland said no he’s find another gm to give him a ntc though ... that 3rd  round pick could be a good player 

ah well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I find it hard to believe if Holland said no he’s find another gm to give him a ntc though ... that 3rd  round pick could be a good player 

ah well 

You're probably right... however I'm operating under the premise that Holland wanted Vanek here and Vanek wanted to be here. By all accounts that was the case.

Holland's gets the limited term he wants, Vanek gets the trade protection he wants, everyone's happy and the deal is struck.

3rd round picks aren't very valuable btw. Chances of a 3rd rounder playing 100 games in the NHL are less than 30%, and chances of a 3rd rounder becoming a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman are less than 10%. Chances of a 3rd rounder becoming a 4th liner or worse hovers between 80% and 90%. Even 2nd rounders aren't very reliable picks these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You're probably right... however I'm operating under the premise that Holland wanted Vanek here and Vanek wanted to be here. By all accounts that was the case.

Holland's gets the limited term he wants, Vanek gets the trade protection he wants, everyone's happy and the deal is struck.

3rd round picks aren't very valuable btw. Chances of a 3rd rounder playing 100 games in the NHL are less than 30%, and chances of a 3rd rounder becoming a top 6 forward or top 4 Dman are less than 10%. Chances of a 3rd rounder becoming a 4th liner or worse hovers between 80% and 90%. Even 2nd rounders aren't very reliable picks these days.

Trust me I know , we had 4 in 2017 and pretty much all are crap or mediocre thus far but I do I know we increase our odds of getting a good player with more picks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean Holland probably wanted the 35 year old on a 1-year deal, and Vanek wanted to be in Detroit... but Vanek is probably smart enough to know that if he signs a 1-year deal with a basement team he's gonna be trade fodder at the deadline again. Pretty reasonable to say he probably demanded an NTC in exchange for signing a 1-year.

So we don't get a 3rd round pick for him this year, womp womp, that's better than committing term to a 35+ player at this point IMO

No. Holland doesn't negotiate. He just gives players whatever they want. He's saNTCa claus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah sorta like how McPhee just gave all those picks to Holland for Tatar without Ken even asking

Any team looking for scoring depth would have given Vanek a NTC on a 1 year contract. It literally is not a big deal. Would have been a small concession.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Any team looking for scoring depth would have given Vanek a NTC on a 1 year contract. It literally is not a big deal. Would have been a small concession.

Contending team probably wouldn't need to offer the NTC, but yea it's not really a big deal

Looks like Babs may be after his baby boy Glendog again: Leafs kicking the tires on Glendening

Detroit looking to pursue free agents before the deadline

Interesting, probably means the Wings are looking for stop-gaps as they expect to offload pieces

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NHL app I have on my phone says Babcock is interested in Luke again this year. Says they didn’t like the second round price last year. Boyle got a second rounder so the price might have gone up this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean Holland probably wanted the 35 year old on a 1-year deal, and Vanek wanted to be in Detroit... but Vanek is probably smart enough to know that if he signs a 1-year deal with a basement team he's gonna be trade fodder at the deadline again. Pretty reasonable to say he probably demanded an NTC in exchange for signing a 1-year.

So we don't get a 3rd round pick for him this year, womp womp, that's better than committing term to a 35+ player at this point IMO

Exactly. Besides what you mentioned above about him not wanting to move again, i also think Vanek only agreed to sign with an NTC because he was considering retirement. He's a journeyman depth scorer at this point. He knew he was signing with a non-playoff team where he wouldn't be counted on to do very much. Easy money. I can see him retiring after this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Exactly. Besides what you mentioned above about him not wanting to move again, i also think Vanek only agreed to sign with an NTC because he was considering retirement. He's a journeyman depth scorer at this point. He knew he was signing with a non-playoff team where he wouldn't be counted on to do very much. Easy money. I can see him retiring after this.

I think they ask more from him off-ice. For leadership. Like, it sounds like they like how he's liked. By the young guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ansar Khan reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland intends to step up discussions with several of his pending UFA players in an effort to re-sign them before the trade deadline. Of their seven UFAs, the Wings would like to re-sign goaltender Jimmy Howard, winger Gustav Nyquist, and defenseman Nick Jensen. Khan speculates a two-year deal for Howard at around his current annual average value ($5.3 million) seems possible. Nyquist is set to surpass his career-high of 54 points this season while the Wings value Jensen’s skating and penalty killing. 

Let's hope this is just posturing...

I'm okay with holding onto Howard, especially if there's no goalie market. I'm okay with holding onto Jensen, if we plan to re-sign him this offseason. But Nyquist has to be traded...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Ansar Khan reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland intends to step up discussions with several of his pending UFA players in an effort to re-sign them before the trade deadline. Of their seven UFAs, the Wings would like to re-sign goaltender Jimmy Howard, winger Gustav Nyquist, and defenseman Nick Jensen. Khan speculates a two-year deal for Howard at around his current annual average value ($5.3 million) seems possible. Nyquist is set to surpass his career-high of 54 points this season while the Wings value Jensen’s skating and penalty killing. 

Let's hope this is just posturing...

I'm okay with holding onto Howard, especially if there's no goalie market. I'm okay with holding onto Jensen, if we plan to re-sign him this offseason. But Nyquist has to be traded...

I think it's posturing while technically being completely truthful. Would Holland like to re-sign these players? Yes. Does he intend to "step up discussions"? Yes. Does the fact that he intends to step up discussions mean he's going to fight tooth-and-nail to keep these guys in Detroit? Nah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 6:44 AM, krsmith17 said:

Ansar Khan reports Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland intends to step up discussions with several of his pending UFA players in an effort to re-sign them before the trade deadline. Of their seven UFAs, the Wings would like to re-sign goaltender Jimmy Howard, winger Gustav Nyquist, and defenseman Nick Jensen. Khan speculates a two-year deal for Howard at around his current annual average value ($5.3 million) seems possible. Nyquist is set to surpass his career-high of 54 points this season while the Wings value Jensen’s skating and penalty killing. 

Let's hope this is just posturing...

I'm okay with holding onto Howard, especially if there's no goalie market. I'm okay with holding onto Jensen, if we plan to re-sign him this offseason. But Nyquist has to be traded...

Yzerman won't allow it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Howard, and Jensen are the only ones who should be re-signed.

FIFY.

Seriously though, are you against trading Nyquist? Or do you want to see him traded and then come back to Detroit after his Cup run? I think not trading Nyquist would be extremely foolish, given the current state of this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Guys I think Athansiou's voice is getting stale. Best he should be traded. His mere presence is stale!

Like a bag of Doritos that's been open for five seconds and all the air's got in the Doritos and why the hell did I buy this big bag of Doritos when I know they go stale within five seconds of the bag being opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Like a bag of Doritos that's been open for five seconds and all the air's got in the Doritos and why the hell did I buy this big bag of Doritos when I know they go stale within five seconds of the bag being opened.

Guys I think these doritos are gettin stale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this