• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

2019 Offseason Rebuild Thread, Pt. 2 - What's the Yzerplan?

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, ely s said:

ultimate suckage is only guaranteeing a losing habit and I really have a problem with that sort of mentality. I don´t care where you end up at seasons end as long as you give all you have and you try to win every game. If SY is going a different route and going to loose on purpose, that would stop me being a DRW fan, because everything we were told in the last years was "we want to keep a competitive approach and a winning mentality" and I would feel betrayed in a way. We have the assets to start that turnaround during this season and are able to have a team to start next year as a playoff contender.

edit:next year is 2020/21...

It's a tough situation.

Yzerman is definitely going to do what he feels he has to do to maintain the winning culture that the Wings are known for; there will be no actively trying to lose under Yzerman's watch, just as there was no actively trying to lose under Holland's watch. At the same time, Yzerman, like Holland of the past few years, is going to do what he feels he has to do to set the team up for success in the hopefully-not-too-distant future. It's a tricky balancing act and I can't say I envy any GM who's charged with pulling it off and producing a perennial contender.

There's also a bit of a balancing act for some fans. Personally? My heart wants the Wings to make the playoffs this season and go on a Cinderella postseason run...while my head says the rebuild effort could really, really use one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, et al. (Yzerman is on record saying he believes what we have in the system right now is not enough.)

On a positive note: I've been really pleased with Hirose. He looked good in the Prospect Tournament and he's looked even better in preseason action. He still has a lot to prove, but at the moment he's starting to look like someone who could end up being counted among our young leaders (Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Athanasiou) by the end of this season. So, basically, Holland might've added a Nyquist-caliber young forward for free.

One reason why I'm bullish on Hirose: It seems the Hirose we saw last season wasn't even his final form...

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/09/19/detroit-red-wings-taro-hirose/2373478001/

“When he came in, we didn’t tell him about it, but he didn’t really look like a hockey player. It really looked like he’d never touched a weight in his life. Not saying that he wasn’t strong, but he put some time in the gym this summer, he was here working out and he looks fit and he looks great. He looks a little bit quicker out there and it just helps him move around the ice and find lanes, which he’s so good at using his brains to do.”

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It's a tough situation.

Yzerman is definitely going to do what he feels he has to do to maintain the winning culture that the Wings are known for; there will be no actively trying to lose under Yzerman's watch, just as there was no actively trying to lose under Holland's watch. At the same time, Yzerman, like Holland of the past few years, is going to do what he feels he has to do to set the team up for success in the hopefully-not-too-distant future. It's a tricky balancing act and I can't say I envy any GM who's charged with pulling it off and producing a perennial contender.

There's also a bit of a balancing act for some fans. Personally? My heart wants the Wings to make the playoffs this season and go on a Cinderella postseason run...while my head says the rebuild effort could really, really use one of Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Holtz, Lundell, et al. (Yzerman is on record saying he believes what we have in the system right now is not enough.)

last season we were hit hard with the injury bug and couldn´t replace our already not so good d-men, which has cost us, apart of a few points, some flow to play a decent season. This year we have players in the system to cope with stuff like that. Further I think we have players who are fed up of losing, who have to play for spots and contracts. Than there is Yzerman, who, instead of coming in and shaking up big time, is calmly putting pressure on everyone on the team, vets and prospects, they all know they have to proof they belong to the Wings future. As much as I would love another high pick, I believe we end up at around 85-90 points and pick between #10-15, unless we are finally lucky in the lottery

20 minutes ago, ely s said:

last season we were hit hard with the injury bug and couldn´t replace our already not so good d-men, which has cost us, apart of a few points, some flow to play a decent season. This year we have players in the system to cope with stuff like that. Further I think we have players who are fed up of losing, who have to play for spots and contracts. Than there is Yzerman, who, instead of coming in and shaking up big time, is calmly putting pressure on everyone on the team, vets and prospects, they all know they have to proof they belong to the Wings future. As much as I would love another high pick, I believe we end up at around 85-90 points and pick between #10-15, unless we are finally lucky in the lottery

I can definitely imagine things playing out that way. If it does go that way, I hope we get a postseason appearance out of it!

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

It's a tough situation.

We also need a lil'luvin from the Gods of Luck...As in drop down into the top 3 for the  2020 draft instead of falling back 3 spots...Icing on the cake would be Grand Master Y swinging a deal that sees 1 of our expiring contracts {cough}Green{cough} getting moved at the deadline, and in return landing us another 1st round pick (the cherry atop would be that franchise missing out on the playoffs, and having a shot in the draft lotto at moving down the list).

I feel like we've been wanting/trying to move Green at the deadline since he came here. I've given up on the idea, he here to the end. Something going to happen like it always does, he'll get hurt, sick, lose a tooth sometime in January and we won't be able to move him.

12 minutes ago, xault said:

I feel like we've been wanting/trying to move Green at the deadline since he came here. I've given up on the idea, he here to the end. Something going to happen like it always does, he'll get hurt, sick, lose a tooth sometime in January and we won't be able to move him.

On an emotional level, I feel you. But it's only been one deadline, maybe two. This season he'll be on an expiring contract and it's starting to feel like this could be his last season as a Wing. Yzerman being GM is another new element in the equation. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this season, if health permits.

1 hour ago, xault said:

To the teams credit, Green has been the only decent Dman on the roster the last 4 years. Got to be tough to part ways with that guy.

That's finally changing now with Hronek

44 minutes ago, Dabura said:

On an emotional level, I feel you. But it's only been one deadline, maybe two. This season he'll be on an expiring contract and it's starting to feel like this could be his last season as a Wing. Yzerman being GM is another new element in the equation. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved this season, if health permits.

You're probably right. With Seider and Hronek on RD next season, Green would be an expensive 5/6 Dman. Although I would love to have him back if he's cheap and Daley is gone. I think it's possible as Green seems to like it in Detroit and I think he would rather play for less than uproot his family to chase a better contract. The idea of Seider, Hronek and Green all on rhe team could be the best right side depth in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You're probably right. With Seider and Hronek on RD next season, Green would be an expensive 5/6 Dman. Although I would love to have him back if he's cheap and Daley is gone. I think it's possible as Green seems to like it in Detroit and I think he would rather play for less than uproot his family to chase a better contract. The idea of Seider, Hronek and Green all on rhe team could be the best right side depth in a long time.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Green hangs them up after this season. He'll be 35 with a young family, and health hasn't exactly been kind to him the past few seasons.

I'd be fine with that. Roll with this next season...

DeKeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Seider

Cholowski - Bowey

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Green hangs them up after this season. He'll be 35 with a young family, and health hasn't exactly been kind to him the past few seasons.

DeKeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Seider

Cholowski - Bowey

hopfully Cholowski gets his positioning fixed and works on his overall defensive game. He looks sometimes lost in our d-zone.

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

DeKeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Seider

Cholowski - Bowey

There's also Kaski.

Will be interesting to see how things play out. Not just with Green but with all the veterans on expiring deals (Daley, Ericsson, Green, Howard).

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

There's also Kaski.

Will be interesting to see how things play out. Not just with Green but with all the veterans on expiring deals (Daley, Ericsson, Green, Howard).

Daley / Ericsson should be gone. Zero reason to re-sign two of the worst defensemen in the league. Especially with such a logjam as it is.

Green, I wouldn't be too upset if we re-signed him to another short contract, but would prefer to go a different direction (youth).

Howard, should probably be re-signed again for another season or two, unless a better / younger stop gap is available.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Howard, should probably be re-signed again for another season or two, unless a better / younger stop gap is available.

There really isn't anything sexy coming up in terms of goalies. Holtby is UFA but probs gets extended before FA. I think Dabura mentioned Markstrom. Nucks have Demko coming up behind him so maybe he becomes available.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There really isn't anything sexy coming up in terms of goalies. Holtby is UFA but probs gets extended before FA. I think Dabura mentioned Markstrom. Nucks have Demko coming up behind him so maybe he becomes available.

Yeah, I'd be completely fine with another season (or two) of Jimmy.

Still kind of pissed that we didn't offer-sheet Kapanen... We could have offered $4M x 4, and given up our 2020 2nd round pick (well worth it). He would have likely signed the offer and Toronto likely wouldn't have been able to match. Highly skilled winger, right in the range of our young core (a week younger than Larkin). He would also fill a huge hole as a top six right-handed winger...

A 2nd line of Athanasiou - Filppula - Kapanen would actually give us a capable 2nd line... Then you have Hirose - Nielsen - Svechnikov and Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm as our 3rd and 4th lines, and on paper it doesn't look too terrible...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Still kind of pissed that we didn't offer-sheet Kapanen... We could have offered $4M x 4, and given up our 2020 2nd round pick (well worth it). He would have likely signed the offer and Toronto likely wouldn't have been able to match. Highly skilled winger, right in the range of our young core (a week younger than Larkin). He would also fill a huge hole as a top six right-handed winger...

A 2nd line of Athanasiou - Filppula - Kapanen would actually give us a capable 2nd line... Then you have Hirose - Nielsen - Svechnikov and Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm as our 3rd and 4th lines, and on paper it doesn't look too terrible...

After watching the last few games, i just feel like - whatever.  I dont know if we suck, or if we are up and coming.  I dont know if we are trying, or if we are trying to lose.  I dont know what the lines should or shouldnt be.  I just want to fast forward 2 seasons.  That I know.

11 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

After watching the last few games, i just feel like - whatever.  I dont know if we suck, or if we are up and coming.  I dont know if we are trying, or if we are trying to lose.  I dont know what the lines should or shouldnt be.  I just want to fast forward 2 seasons.  That I know.

I hear ya. Our team currently sucks. No doubt about that. However, we have some very promising pieces on the roster and in the pipe. I still think the future is bright, but yeah, it's going to be a couple years before we start to see it come together...

I just think we missed an opportunity to add another key piece to the rebuild. Kapanen would have been a great add this past offseason... Oh well... 

It's not really an enigma.  75% of our roster are replacement level scrubs who shouldn't even be in the league right now.  Combine that with the fact that only about two of our (genuinely good) prospect pool are even close to ready.  And finally, we're not a free agent destination because we're horrible.  Add all that together and it basically means we've got to wait for guys like Ras, Svech, Seider, Zadina, McIsaac, Veleno, to start working their way onto the main roster before our fortunes change. 

We'll also likely add a really high end prospect at the draft as well.  Should improve us enough internally to be respectable next year and look like a team on the come up, which means we'll start getting quality UFA's before long too. 

Edited by kipwinger

February 24th, 2020: Mike Green has been traded to 1st round exit team for a 2nd round pick in 2020

July 1st, 2020: Torey Krug has inked a 7 year deal with the Detroit Red Wings for $7.5 AAV, citing his desire to return home to metro Detroit and his close relationship with bench boss Jeff Blashill

Dekeyser - Hronek
Krug - Nemeth
Cholowski - Seider
Bowey