• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringBack19

Report: Detroit to name Steve Yzerman as GM

Rate this topic

Holland builds a championship team around McJesus and Edmonton wins the cup in a few short seasons. Yzerman repeatedly runs the Red Wings into the ground for 5 seasons and then up and quits out of the blue like Patrick Roy after the fans who once loved him turn on him :ph34r:

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

All that “I’m going to stay with the organization and help out” until someone throws 5 million at you. 

Yep. They keep u in the fold. Keep paying you good money. Did so expecting you to be a part of the team.....And then u bolt at the first opportunity. I have always defended Holland when warranted, but not this time.

On the other hand, I guess this puts to bed the argument about whether Holland is a good GM are not. Guy got a new gig before he even left his old one. Guess the hockey world is more intelligent than some of the fan base.

12 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yep. They keep u in the fold. Keep paying you good money. Did so expecting you to be a part of the team.....And then u bolt at the first opportunity. I have always defended Holland when warranted, but not this time.

On the other hand, I guess this puts to bed the argument about whether Holland is a good GM are not. Guy got a new gig before he even left his old one. Guess the hockey world is more intelligent than some of the fan base.

Your first paragraph. Agreed.

Second one, I’m not so sure. Babcock got paid $50 million for Toronto and basically got exposed. They used to call him “the greatest coach in the NHL”. No longer is.

I think Holland has an easier situation in Edmonton, much like he had an easy situation taking over the Red Wings in 97. He’s taking a team with McDavid. He basically was gifted not only with $25 million but also with the greatest player the NHL will likely see aside from Gretzky/Howe. 

Edited by kickazz

22 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Did you read something about the Wings being upset by this move? I'd be surprised if they didn't expect this in the first place. I would just as assume he was given a position out of professional courtesy/loyalty for all his years here on the chance he doesn't find a good GM fit somewhere, but with the knowledge that he would be fielding offers. 

I'm just upset we're losing him honestly, I would've loved to have Yzerman and Holland both. 

25 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Did you read something about the Wings being upset by this move? I'd be surprised if they didn't expect this in the first place. I would just as assume he was given a position out of professional courtesy/loyalty for all his years here on the chance he doesn't find a good GM fit somewhere, but with the knowledge that he would be fielding offers. 

I'm just upset we're losing him honestly, I would've loved to have Yzerman and Holland both. 

If they knew he was leaving they wouldnt have bothered promoting him. You do that with people you are keeping around. Everything I heard from the press conference when Yzerman was introduced was that Holland was still going to be with the team in an advisory type role. I dont think Ilitch or Yzerman were expecting him to leave.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Remember when everyone was saying that Holland was gonna run this team together with Yzerman? I argued that Holland would have no say in who Steve drafts. I didn't think this would be the reason, but I told ya so! :)

Now the race is on, who builds a Cup winner first? Or will we see DET v. EDM in a Cup final?

If Holland had stayed, he would have been involved even if it was only in an advisory role. If you had watched the press conference, even Yzerman talked about having Holland around as an asset to him. That doesnt sound to me like Yzerman didnt or wouldnt be keeping Holland involved.

In general you expect the guy to stick around at least a year for the transition liek Yzerman stayed with Tampa .

Some folks are naive. But the truth of the matter is, he wanted to gtfo. He was the one that convinced Illitch to bring Yzerman back to Detroit and be GM. Less than a month later he takes a job for $25 million with Edmonton.

It was a setup. And it was his perfect opportunity for an Irish exit. And honestly? I would have done the same. This team is in a s***tier position than Edmonton anyways. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, amato said:

I was hoping Al Murray would be coming with Yzerman. Oh well... Pat Verbeek is a big addition.

Any word on who's going to Edmonton with Holland? Martin? Draper? Horcoff? Cleary? Wright? Andersson? Anyone?

13 hours ago, kickazz said:

In general you expect the guy to stick around at least a year for the transition liek Yzerman stayed with Tampa .

Some folks are naive. But the truth of the matter is, he wanted to gtfo. He was the one that convinced Illitch to bring Yzerman back to Detroit and be GM. Less than a month later he takes a job for $25 million with Edmonton.

It was a setup. And it was his perfect opportunity for an Irish exit. And honestly? I would have done the same. This team is in a s***tier position than Edmonton anyways. 

Image result for that's racist meme

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I was hoping Al Murray would be coming with Yzerman. Oh well... Pat Verbeek is a big addition.

Any word on who's going to Edmonton with Holland? Martin? Draper? Horcoff? Cleary? Wright? Andersson? Anyone?

All I've seen so far is some speculation like this tweet below but I'm sure we'll know for sure shortly after the Oilers officially announce it. 

Just now, amato said:

All I've seen so far is some speculation like this tweet below but I'm sure we'll know for sure shortly after the Oilers officially announce it. 

I was expecting Martin and Wright to likely follow Holland, and I'm okay with it, but was hoping to keep Cleary and Horcoff in Player Development.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I was expecting Martin and Wright to likely follow Holland, and I'm okay with it, but was hoping to keep Cleary and Horcoff in Player Development.

same, except i fully expected cleary to follow after all the loyalty holland has shown him over the years.

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If they knew he was leaving they wouldnt have bothered promoting him. You do that with people you are keeping around. Everything I heard from the press conference when Yzerman was introduced was that Holland was still going to be with the team in an advisory type role. I dont think Ilitch or Yzerman were expecting him to leave.

15 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Holland had stayed, he would have been involved even if it was only in an advisory role. If you had watched the press conference, even Yzerman talked about having Holland around as an asset to him. That doesnt sound to me like Yzerman didnt or wouldnt be keeping Holland involved.

Everyone was predicting Holland would stay on a year or two then accept the job in Seattle. I don't think Holland expected the Edmonton job to become available as Edmonton kicked the tires on like 5+ other guys before him. But when a team with McDavid throws $25 mill at you, It's time to rethink your plans. I don't blame him at all for this. This is Yzerman's team now, Holland's power on the team was all ceremonial at this point.

11 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

You people are pathetic. Thank God Holland’s gone and Stevie Y is in place.

Yeah

Getting back to the Verbeek thing. Great news. 

Say what you will about Yzerman vs Holland, but Yzerman + Verbeek >> Holland + Martin

Hopefully he doesn't get snatched up by another team too soon. 

Speaking of which, feels great to poach from another team for a change. NHL's been picking at Red Wing carcass for a decade. 

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'm ok with a staff overhaul. I like some of the guys, but if we're operating with the "S***'s gone stale, we need to shake things up" mentality, might as well embrace it totally. What have you done for me lately, Hakan?

Completely agree. I was hoping Horcoff and Cleary would stick, but that's more so for personal reasons. Martin, Wright, Fischer, Andersson or any of the other scouts could go as far as I'm concerned... It's now Yzerman's team, let him bring in all new faces / voices...

I wonder if Mark Hunter would be a candidate to come on in some capacity... I know he's mostly been in a general manager type role, but he's also done a fair bit of scouting in the past...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Completely agree. I was hoping Horcoff and Cleary would stick, but that's more so for personal reasons. Martin, Wright, Fischer, Andersson or any of the other scouts could go as far as I'm concerned... It's now Yzerman's team, let him bring in all new faces / voices...

I wonder if Mark Hunter would be a candidate to come on in some capacity... I know he's mostly been in a general manager type role, but he's also done a fair bit of scouting in the past...

Bring THAT on ASAP

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Getting back to the Verbeek thing. Great news. 

Say what you will about Yzerman vs Holland, but Yzerman + Verbeek >> Holland + Martin

Hopefully he doesn't get snatched up by another team too soon. 

Speaking of which, feels great to poach from another team for a change. NHL's been picking at Red Wing carcass for a decade. 

For sure. It's too bad though that Al Murray didn't come aboard as well, because I would say Murray >>> Wright...