• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ChristopherReevesLegs

Babs got fired

Rate this topic

Leafs fire Babs  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

The Leafs have made me coom all season long. First the suckage and then the canning of Babs. The whole "We are the model franchise with all the best and brightest people in the business that is writing the blueprint for guaranteed cups and dynasty" was getting really annoying.

There gonna get absolutely crushed in the playoffs this year too I can feel it

And there's another off season of "how will they get out of this one" coming.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

There gonna get absolutely crushed in the playoffs this year too I can feel it

And there's another off season of "how will they get out of this one" coming.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

It's gonna be interesting for sure with that defense situation.

11 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs

It's gonna be interesting for sure with that defense situation.

Unfortunately they prolly have the cap to get by it as long as they are getting Spezzas who will play for league min and rooks on league min contracts coming up

Here's what I'm talking about, Zetterberg in the Detroit News on Babs:

9g1f056d5v041.jpg

Translation from Swedish: "He's a dick, but I put up with it because I'm not a *****"

I always felt the same way under coaches I hated. "I'm going to show you" kind of thing. Anger/hatred breeds an extreme level of intensity, and a lot of players rise to it.

Leafs are a buncha whiny entitled little zoomers who couldn't handle the heat. And their careers and team will now suffer for it.

z4YR0dW.jpg

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

53 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Unfortunately they prolly have the cap to get by it as long as they are getting Spezzas who will play for league min and rooks on league min contracts coming up

I don´t know, if you look at their cap next year, $64,4M for 10 forwards, one defenseman and a goalie. Even with a $83M upper limit next year they will only have ~$18.5M for 4 forwards, 6 defensemen and a goalie. I don´t really see a way to have a real good back end with that sort of money. This year they somehow managed to talk Sakic into paying half of Barrie´s salary and have good deals with Ceci and Muzzin, but next year will be real interesting to see what Dubas is going to do

2 minutes ago, ely s said:

I don´t know, if you look at their cap next year, $64,4M for 10 forwards, one defenseman and a goalie. Even with a $83M upper limit next year they will only have ~$18.5M for 4 forwards, 6 defensemen and a goalie. I don´t really see a way to have a real good back end with that sort of money. This year they somehow managed to talk Sakic into paying half of Barrie´s salary and have good deals with Ceci and Muzzin, but next year will be real interesting to see what Dubas is going to do

Still, that leaves about $1.75 each for 10 players.

Let's say 5 of those players are league minimum

Then suddenly you can pay the remaining 5 about $2.8 each

Only gets better the more min contracts and ELCs they add

6 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

f*** it, lets get Babcock back onboard and get these soyboys to shape up!

1574004291805.jpg

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Correct, but name me three good/better d-men available for $3-4M.

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

1574004291805.jpg

Who do the Red Wings have scouting in Mongolia?

12 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Who do the Red Wings have scouting in Mongolia?

Mongolian trap defense is already legendary

hu1a980fwov21.jpg

22 minutes ago, ely s said:

Correct, but name me three good/better d-men available for $3-4M.

They will have to get creative fersure. Dubas has already proved he can and will do that.

I could see any forward not named Marner/Matthews/Tavares being traded

Babcock and don cherry are creating a new coaches corner. Calling it poppies. That's it, just poppies

18 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

just gonna leave this here

I love the, I knew before everyone else, but I didnt wanna say nuffin,  because I wasnt sure.  

Shut up buddy, you're not cool, and no ones going to go to you for hockey insights now. 

35 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Babcock and don cherry are creating a new coaches corner. Calling it poppies. That's it, just poppies

I love the, I knew before everyone else, but I didnt wanna say nuffin,  because I wasnt sure.  

Shut up buddy, you're not cool, and no ones going to go to you for hockey insights now. 

To his credit, I know some reporters sit on stories that will make a coach look bad, because they dont want to sour their relationship with the coach

46 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To his credit, I know some reporters sit on stories that will make a coach look bad, because they dont want to sour their relationship with the coach

Sounds like a loser to me. Also I dont trust your knowledge 

Its neither for me. Babcock was brought in at the wrong time. He's not a developmental coach and he was brought into a team that was still very young and needed to grow. It would have been better to bring in a pansy coach to get them to playoff status, then bring in Babs to seal the deal.

Also, I think Babcocks style is still relevant in the NHL. Playing both sides of the puck is still necessary. One way hockey will get you lots of wins in the regular season playing different teams every night, but in a 7 game playoff against a team with stellar goaltending and skaters committed to defense, those 6-5 wins turn into 5-2 losses.

If Toronto thinks they're going to win playing that way, then I hope they get Boston every playoff season.

The entire "Toronto just wants to play offense" narrative is completely contrived.  One of the first things Keefe did after taking over was change up the defensive scheme because TO had been terrible defensively.  Dubas is also on record as saying that (I'm paraphrasing) he'd love to have the biggest, meanest, grittiest, most skilled team in the league.  But if he can't have them all then skill is the most important of those things.  As I've stated elsewhere, Tampa is one of the most potent offensive teams in the league, with a coach strongly committed to analytics, and nobody claims they only play "one way hockey".  Nobody competent enough to get a job coaching in the NHL thinks you don't have to play defense.  It's about competitive advantage.  If your game changing talent is defensive, maybe shot suppression and shutdown goaltending becomes the cornerstone of your team.  But if, like Toronto, your elite talent is offensive (I'd say Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly, and Nylander qualify here) then it's probably not unreasonable for a GM and coach to want to take advantage of that in their game planning.

Edited by kipwinger

8 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

The entire "Toronto just wants to play offense" narrative is completely contrived.  One of the first things Keefe did after taking over was change up the defensive scheme because TO had been terrible defensively.  Dubas is also on record as saying that (I'm paraphrasing) he'd love to have the biggest, meanest, grittiest, most skilled team in the league.  But if he can't have them all then skill is the most important of those things.  As I've stated elsewhere, Tampa is one of the most potent offensive teams in the league, with a coach strongly committed to analytics, and nobody claims they only play "one way hockey".  Nobody competent enough to get a job coaching in the NHL thinks you don't have to play defense.  It's about competitive advantage.  If your game changing talent is defensive, maybe shot suppression and shutdown goaltending becomes the cornerstone of your team.  But if, like Toronto, your elite talent is offensive (I'd say Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Reilly, and Nylander qualify here) then it's probably not unreasonable for a GM and coach to want to take advantage of that in their game planning.

I'm probably Babs biggest apologist, and I've acknowledged from the onset his "scheme" didn't fit the current makeup of the Leafs. I don't think their team doesn't play D, I just think they're top heavy and their star forwards play soft and like individuals.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm probably Babs biggest apologist, and I've acknowledged from the onset his "scheme" didn't fit the current makeup of the Leafs. I don't think their team doesn't play D, I just think they're top heavy and their star forwards play soft and like individuals.

I don't think they're top heavy at all.  In fact, they have awesome scoring depth.  Outside of the big four forwards, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Hyman all scored 20 goals last year.  That's 7 forwards with 20+ goal upside that can be spread out over three lines.  Since then they've added Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Spezza.  They're SUPER deep offensively. 

As far as stars playing soft, maybe.  But that's not really unusual for young players.  People said the same thing about Dats and Z when they were young.  Hell, you can look back through old LGW threads and see all sorts of similar complaints about those two in various idiotic trade proposals.  Same old story, they play "soft", they're selfish, they don't play defense.  Anytime anybody wants some nebulus criticism to bash a player they don't like it's one of those three.  Premier talent almost never enters the league playing a fully rounded game.  They've never had to.  And most of them haven't learned (yet) to play a tough game either.  Again, because they've never had to.  Then they get a little older, develop more, have more coaching, and become everything everybody says they aren't  (a la Crosby).  Maybe the three of them will turn out to be Alexander Semin 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0.  But I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

don't think they're top heavy at all.  In fact, they have awesome scoring depth.  Outside of the big four forwards, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Hyman all scored 20 goals last year.  That's 7 forwards with 20+ goal upside that can be spread out over three lines.  Since then they've added Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Spezza.  They're SUPER deep offensively. 

I think he means the difference in quality between the forwards and defense. 

Between Reilly, Muzzin, Ceci and Barrie there is about one who is capable enough in their own zone.