• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Would you bring back Babcock?

Rate this topic

Would you bring back Babcock?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

What if Rags buyout Lundqvist?

Would he sign in Detroit? Probably wants one last kick at the can before he hangs em up. I feel bad that that guy never won a Cup. Wasn't from lack of effort, that's for sure...he carried the Rags for years but the team just couldn't get it done in front of him. He should have bailed. 

30 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Would he sign in Detroit? Probably wants one last kick at the can before he hangs em up. I feel bad that that guy never won a Cup. Wasn't from lack of effort, that's for sure...he carried the Rags for years but the team just couldn't get it done in front of him. He should have bailed. 

You're right. I could have seen him pulling an Alfredsson if Zetterberg and Kronwall were still here. But they aint...

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

They would be better moving on from Andersen imo. He just can't seem to get it done when it matters. I don't see any need for him in Detroit, unless the Leafs are willing to retain at least half his salary. $5.5 million tandem is fine.

I read that the Pens were considering their future in goal and might go with Jarry. Their time as contenders is coming to an end, Murray is an RFA and arbitration eligible. 

I got the impression the Wings would have interest if the Leafs found no taker and had to give up an asset. So something like Anderson & a 3rd for a 5th. Or something like that, I just made that up.

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How many more cups would he have though if he just buckled down and played the game the right way instead of just being obsessed with chasing his personal goals record?

you lose again

His name is on the Stanley Cup. Once, twice, thrice, who cares? It's there. 

IDid It My Way My Own Way GIF - IDidItMyWay MyOwnWay OnMyOwn GIFs

Frank wins every time.

Copy and pasting a Fil interview that a user on another board translated.

Asked about Babcock being a dick:

Well he is very demanding, but on ice I had no problems with him. Probably wouldn't hang out with him off the ice though.

He is the best coach I ever had for preparation for matches; we always knew what the opponent would do, and what we need to do to be better than them.

He was always tough on younger players, but respected veterans a lot. One funny story about the 07-08 season was that Chris Chelios was actually older than Babcock . And Chelios liked to "protect" younger players in practice. Once when they were starting a drill Chelios said "Let me go first, i will completely f*** up the drill, check out Babcock's reaction when i do" And when he did, Babcock turned all red in the face but did not yell at him, but blew the whistle and said "Let's try again, someone else go first this time."

He told Fil: "You need to prove on every shift that you belong on the ice, if i think even once you are a liability you will get your next chance on the next game."

3 hours ago, ely s said:

A coach who is humiliating his players is not a coach, he´s a prick.

You can be both.

You learn more from humiliation than you do from pandering.

Edited by Axl Foley

17 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

I always thought the "bullying" from Babcock was exaggerated. Definitely not a players coach, but not the tyrant he is made out to be.

He's actually biting his tongue for Chelios in this story. And if you believe Fil he gave vets in general that courtesy. Pretty nice thing to do, considering other big coaches like Bill Belicheck were known to go out of their to yell at vets and stars like Tom Brady in order to demonstrate to the rest of the team that they run the show...

And its a funny story, but Chelios is kinda being a prick himself by exploaiting that courtesy to get Babs mad for a laugh. 

Brad May talks Babcock

May said that he "talked to some Columbus Blue Jacket players, they're excited, here's the reason why they're excited-they're going to become better players. Babs is a hell of a coach, he's very prepared, maybe a little bit of an inability to connect to some of his players, and I'm sure over the last few years, there's a come to Jesus moment, where, hey I gotta treat people differently, the old school's out". He goes on to say that he's not surprised that Babcock is back.

He goes on to tell a story about his time playing for Babs in Detroit. It was Maydays last year in the league, so he decided he wanted to bring his 13 year old son on the fathers trip instead of his dad, who had been there done that. 2 days before the trip he gets called into Bab's office and Babs says "I'm going over the manifest (because that's how detail oriented babs was brad explains) and I see your son is on it" Brad said he was thought he was about to get a hard no, but Babs tells him "I think that's awesome. How's he getting here? Do you need anything from us to get him here? Oh and tell your son to bring his hockey gear". Mayday says he responded "why his hockey gear? This is an NHL trip?" and Babs told him "Brad, you dont think he wants to practice morning skates with the Detroit Red Wings? You don't think he wants to play RW with Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Tell him to bring his hockey gear" He then goes on to explain that when his son showed he had locker waiting for him in the lockeroom with a #9 Wings jersey with his name on it in his size. And Babs went out of his way to arrange all that with 2 days notice. And he finishes the story by saying he knows teammates that didn't like Babs and say Babs is a bad person, but for everytime they something negative about him, he's going to tell this story about what he did for him and his son twice.  

8 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Brad May talks Babcock

He goes on to tell a story about his time playing for Babs in Detroit. It was Maydays last year in the league, so he decided he wanted to bring his 13 year old son on the fathers trip instead of his dad, who had been there done that. 2 days before the trip he gets called into Bab's office and Babs says "I'm going over the manifest (because that's how detail oriented babs was brad explains) and I see your son is on it" Brad said he was thought he was about to get a hard no, but Babs tells him "I think that's awesome. How's he getting here? Do you need anything from us to get him here? Oh and tell your son to bring his hockey gear". Mayday says he responded "why his hockey gear? This is an NHL trip?" and Babs told him "Brad, you dont think he wants to practice morning skates with the Detroit Red Wings? You don't think he wants to play RW with Datsyuk and Zetterberg? Tell him to bring his hockey gear" He then goes on to explain that when his son showed he had locker waiting for him in the lockeroom with a #9 Wings jersey with his name on it in his size. And Babs went out of his way to arrange all that with 2 days notice. And he finishes the story by saying he knows teammates that didn't like Babs and say Babs is a bad person, but for everytime they something negative about him, he's going to tell this story about what he did for him and his son twice.  

Im sure Mike Keenan has a feelgood story or 2, as well.  I really dont give a crap about the coach being a screw.  Bowman was a screw.  The only thing is that you gotta win all the time if youre going to be a jerk.  Keenan didnt, and Babs hasnt.

I've told this story before on here, but I had the distinct pleasure of sharing a few beers with Mayday when I lived in Buffalo and he was doing color for the Sabres. It was in a scummy bar called Bada Bing. I was there with my GF at that time to have dinner and watch a UFC fight. Brad walks in alone and I instantly recognized him, so I yelled "Hey Mayday". The dude BEE LINED for our table and said "you know who I am?" I said of course and so he asked if he could sit with us and I of course obliged. He said he just came in to catch the UFC fight and talked about how much he loved UFC. We of course talked hockey a lil bit, and (I hope he wasnt just humoring me as a wings fan) but he swore up and down that Detroit was the classiest best organization he ever played for, from the top down. And he played for more than a few teams. I also remembering him saying Zberg may have been the coolest and classiest dude he ever played with. We didn't really go much deeper than that as I didn't wanna spoil the moment by superfan nerding out, and I knew he was there for UFC, so we mostly justed talked about that. Although there was one weird moment where he explained to me that that bar fight he got into in Arizona was not his fault and dont believe what the media printed about it. I had no idea what he was talking about and still dont lol and he just brought it up out of the blue umprompted.

Cool dude. I believe him about Babs. Also he had hands like ******* anvils. I mean they were kodiak grizzly paws.

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Im sure Mike Keenan has a feelgood story or 2, as well.  I really dont give a crap about the coach being a screw.  Bowman was a screw.  The only thing is that you gotta win all the time if youre going to be a jerk.  Keenan didnt, and Babs hasnt.

Im of the opinion that Babs didn't stop Modano from hitting 1500 games to be a dick, but that he truly believed that he had a better chance of winning with Modano sitting. And he simply chose to win. 

Edited by bIueadams

2 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

I've told this story before on here, but I had the distinct pleasure of sharing a few beers with Mayday when I lived in Buffalo and he was doing color for the Sabres. It was in a scummy bar called Bada Bing. I was there with my GF at that time to have dinner and watch a UFC fight. Brad walks in alone and I instantly recognized him, so I yelled "Hey Mayday". The dude BEE LINED for our table and said "you know who I am?" I said of course and so he asked if he could sit with us and I of course obliged. He said he just came in to catch the UFC fight and talked about how much he loved UFC. We of course talked hockey a lil bit, and (I hope he wasnt just humoring me as a wings fan) but he swore up and down that Detroit was the classiest best organization he ever played for, from the top down. And he played for more than a few teams. I also remembering him saying Zberg may have been the coolest and classiest dude he ever played with. We didn't really go much deeper than that as I didn't wanna spoil the moment by superfan nerding out, and I knew he was there for UFC, so we mostly justed talked about that. Although there was one weird moment where he explained to me that that bar fight he got into in Arizona was not his fault and dont believe what the media printed about it. I had no idea what he was talking about and still dont lol and he just brought it up out of the blue umprompted.

Cool dude. I believe him about Babs.  

The enforcers are the best guys.  Jim Thompson of the ducks used to eat lunch at my dad's pizza place during the summer.  I worked the mon - thurs day shifts with one other employee during the summers when i came home from school.  Guy threw a 20 down and said make "me something good, and keep the change."  I would always make him all the off menu stuff that I liked to eat, and he'd always say "Get this on the menu, Scotty!"  Such a cool guy.  Could tell he appreciated life, but had zero arrogance.

9 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Im of the opinion that Babs didn't stop Modano from hitting 1500 games to be a dick, but that he truly believed that he had a better chance of winning with Modano sitting. And he simply chose to win. 

He's got too many dickhead moves to get by, and disrespecting Fedorov is one.  Coaches arent the main attraction in sports.  Babcock seems to think he should be.  But like I said before, I dont really give a crap so long as there is winning.  Babs hasnt won enough, imo.

Babcock cocking

https://x.com/spittinchiclets/status/1701599904655950062?s=20

Twitter linking is f***ed on this site now? f*** off Matt!! What kind of welfare s*** is this?

Anyway: apparently Babcock, basically day 1, calls Boone Jenner into his office, asks for his phone and proceeds to airplay the phone's photo content on his office TV saying he "just wants to see what type of person Jenner is" 

Good god

18 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Babcock cocking

https://x.com/spittinchiclets/status/1701599904655950062?s=20

Twitter linking is f***ed on this site now? f*** off Matt!! What kind of welfare s*** is this?

Anyway: apparently Babcock, basically day 1, calls Boone Jenner into his office, asks for his phone and proceeds to airplay the phone's photo content on his office TV saying he "just wants to see what type of person Jenner is" 

Good god

Boone Commodore slander