• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Would you bring back Babcock?

Rate this topic

Would you bring back Babcock?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

How can you coach someone who doesn't make mistakes?

You think that beady-eyed scar-chinned psycho thought Lidstrom didn't make mistakes? Maybe

I guess he probably picked on the Hudler and Franzen types and left the HOF guys mostly alone. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/02/16/detroit-red-wings-mike-babcock/23501841/

Reading these old puff pieces written about Babcock is hilarious in light of how his time went in Toronto and now CBJ.

"I want to be the best coach of my generation". Lol. That's definitely one way it could have gone. But hear me out...what if, instead, everyone remembered you as a disgraced, self-destructive, weirdo who will be lucky to coach a midget team? Maybe try that on and wear it around a while.

"I always say to people that I learned to work hard from my dad, but I learned to talk to people from my mom." What a treat she must have been. Yikes.

Edited by kipwinger

23 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/02/16/detroit-red-wings-mike-babcock/23501841/

Reading these old puff pieces written about Babcock is hilarious in light of how his time went in Toronto and now CBJ.

"I want to be the best coach of my generation". Lol. That's definitely one way it could have gone. But hear me out...what if, instead, everyone remembered you as a disgraced, self-destructive, weirdo who will be lucky to coach a midget team? Maybe try that on and wear it around a while.

"I always say to people that I learned to work hard from my dad, but I learned to talk to people from my mom." What a treat she must have been. Yikes.

I learned to work hard from my dad.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm sure he does work hard. Matter of fact, I imagine he was able to get away with a lot of his sh*tty, anti-social, behavior because he worked hard and had some successes. For some reason our society values toxic people who are productive much more than it values ethical people who are lazy.

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

I do wonder how Bowman would be perceived if he coached today. He was pretty hard on players too. 

I think there's a difference between having high standards and holding players accountable, and being ego-maniacal. It always seemed like Bowman was a hardass because he wanted to have the best hockey team possible whereas the point of Babcock's hijinx is to project his authority and belittle people in (perceived) subordinate roles within the organization.

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'm sure he does work hard. Matter of fact, I imagine he was able to get away with a lot of his sh*tty, anti-social, behavior because he worked hard and had some successes. For some reason our society values toxic people who are productive much more than it values ethical people who are lazy.

capitalism?

Just now, Motor City Mullets said:

Probably no different than Babcock...I seem to recall both Shawn Burr and Dino Ciccerelli having issues with Bowman.

I don't agree. Bowman was never perceived the way Mike Keenan (more analogous to Babs) was. It was never personal with Scotty the way it is with Keenan or Babs. Paul Coffey famously didn't like playing for Bowman but not because Bowman had a personal vendetta against Coffey. Rather it was because Scotty mandated that the team play good defense and Coffey wasn't really interested in playing that way.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I don't agree. Bowman was never perceived the way Mike Keenan (more analogous to Babs) was. It was never personal with Scotty the way it is with Keenan or Babs. Paul Coffey famously didn't like playing for Bowman but not because Bowman had a personal vendetta against Coffey. Rather it was because Scotty mandated that the team play good defense and Coffey wasn't really interested in playing that way.

"Basically he has the personality of a (expletive)," Burr said. "He is the most disrespectful person I've ever met. He's just a mean man with no social skills. You can't argue with his success as a hockey coach, but the way he treats people? That's not right. I could tell a million stories."

Such as Bowman berating office workers or kicking over the luggage of strangers in airports just because the bags were in the way or ordering an equipment man to restock the locker room refrigerator with grapefruit juice _ at four in the morning.

"However he handles or treats hockey players is one thing," Ciccarelli said. "As a player, you expect the coach to yell at you or bench you or even play mind games with you. But you shouldn't treat them like that all the time, even off the ice. And you shouldn't treat other people the way he does."

Players speak bitterly of Bowman's "legacy' (tampabay.com)

1 minute ago, Motor City Mullets said:

"Basically he has the personality of a (expletive)," Burr said. "He is the most disrespectful person I've ever met. He's just a mean man with no social skills. You can't argue with his success as a hockey coach, but the way he treats people? That's not right. I could tell a million stories."

Such as Bowman berating office workers or kicking over the luggage of strangers in airports just because the bags were in the way or ordering an equipment man to restock the locker room refrigerator with grapefruit juice _ at four in the morning.

"However he handles or treats hockey players is one thing," Ciccarelli said. "As a player, you expect the coach to yell at you or bench you or even play mind games with you. But you shouldn't treat them like that all the time, even off the ice. And you shouldn't treat other people the way he does."

Players speak bitterly of Bowman's "legacy' (tampabay.com)

I guess maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to Scotty. Obviously Burr and Dino would know better than me. Mike Commodore says many of the same thing about Babs treating non-players terribly too. That's something I find especially egregious. You shouldn't treat anyone that way but especially strangers or people that work in other roles that aren't directly under the coach's supervision (e.g. building/maintenance staff or training staff).

Just now, kipwinger said:

I guess maybe I'm wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to Scotty. Obviously Burr and Dino would know better than me. Mike Commodore says many of the same thing about Babs treating non-players terribly too. That's something I find especially egregious. You shouldn't treat anyone that way but especially strangers or people that work in other roles that aren't directly under the coach's supervision (e.g. building/maintenance staff or training staff).

Then there's this little gem

The Avalanche took exception to the suspension, given that Kozlov didn't receive one for his hit on Foote and general manager Pierre LaCroix had a statement of his own, saying, "We totally disagree and still can't believe the league's decision to suspend Claude Lemieux, especially after what happened in the same hockey game. Such altercations have already happened each game and during each period of the current NHL Stanley Cup playoffs."

That wasn't all. After practice that day, Lemieux claimed Red Wings coach Scotty Bowman shouted obscenities at him in the parking lot after the game.

"Bowman just started yelling out of the bus, which is a weird thing. The door was still open and he took a step down and said, 'Nice sucker punch, you blankety-blank. I hope you get suspended.'

"I'm walking out with my child and my wife and my nephew and my family. He said what he said and the bus pulled out."

10 unforgettable moments in the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry | Sporting News

4 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

Then there's this little gem

The Avalanche took exception to the suspension, given that Kozlov didn't receive one for his hit on Foote and general manager Pierre LaCroix had a statement of his own, saying, "We totally disagree and still can't believe the league's decision to suspend Claude Lemieux, especially after what happened in the same hockey game. Such altercations have already happened each game and during each period of the current NHL Stanley Cup playoffs."

That wasn't all. After practice that day, Lemieux claimed Red Wings coach Scotty Bowman shouted obscenities at him in the parking lot after the game.

"Bowman just started yelling out of the bus, which is a weird thing. The door was still open and he took a step down and said, 'Nice sucker punch, you blankety-blank. I hope you get suspended.'

"I'm walking out with my child and my wife and my nephew and my family. He said what he said and the bus pulled out."

10 unforgettable moments in the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry | Sporting News

Yeah, clearly I had Scotty pegged wrong. Thank god this is changing. Imagine if you were allowed to just harass and belittle the janitor in your office building, or the HR lady in the front office? It's insane that coaches get a pass on stuff like this at the professional level.

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah, clearly I had Scotty pegged wrong. Thank god this is changing. Imagine if you were allowed to just harass and belittle the janitor in your office building, or the HR lady in the front office? It's insane that coaches get a pass on stuff like this at the professional level.

While tasteless - I do recall reading about Bowman giving Lemieux and earful back in the day and having a good laugh...Just think of the  cell phone video footage of that encounter?

Brendan aka 'Finger Biter' must've been the kid Claude was holding... 

Edited by Motor City Mullets

42 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

capitalism?

Maybe, I don't really feel qualified to say. I will say that even in my personal life I've always found that lazyness is considered a greater personality flaw that being unethical. Perhaps it's regional but the whole "protestant ethic" thing was definitely commonplace in the households where I grew up. It was fine to berate a child for wearing makeup or something but heaven forbid you have an untidy house.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I learned to how s*** post from my dad.

50 minutes ago, Motor City Mullets said:

While tasteless - I do recall reading about Bowman giving Lemieux and earful back in the day and having a good laugh...Just think of the  cell phone video footage of that encounter?

Brendan aka 'Finger Biter' must've been the kid Claude was holding... 

Bowman seems like an even bigger turd burger than Babs. He wouldve been fired and publicly ridiculed in todays league for the behavior you posted.

Which begs the question... does Bowman win so many cups without his toxic abuse powers?

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Are we talking about Babcock or me?

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I dont think being lazy is ethical.

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You think that beady-eyed scar-chinned psycho thought Lidstrom didn't make mistakes? Maybe

I guess he probably picked on the Hudler and Franzen types and left the HOF guys mostly alone. 

Why can't Babcock be bald? That sexy mane doesn't belong on a Dick.

1 hour ago, Axl Foley said:

I dont think being lazy is ethical.

Why can't Babcock be bald? That sexy mane doesn't belong on a Dick.

Best Wings coach hair ever. We're in the Bald Ages now. I guess bald guys are generally better people cuz they kinda have to be knowhaI'msayin'?