• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I just feel like this is an overly passive way to approach things, given the season this team just had. I feel like it's setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy. "We're supposed to suck, so let's suck. If we don't want to hardcore suck, maybe Yzerman can sign some UFA 3C who sucks and we can tell ourselves Yzerman tried, c'est la vie. Gotta wait for Veleno. Can't get older. Can only get younger. Can't worry about the here and now. Eyes on the horizon."

Like, I get it. But I also don't. Why not ice a really good top-six forward group right now? Why not see what this team can do with a borderline-Selke-caliber centerman slotted behind Larkin on the depth chart?

I don't want this team to suck, but that's the reality right now. We need to be patient, and do this rebuild the right way. No quick fixes. No shortcuts. 

We do need to get younger, and we shouldn't be mortgaging the future for older players.

This team is going to improve on last season. How can they not? Gradual improvements will turn into much bigger rewards.

16 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I would say the dropoff is pretty drastic. Granlund's basically a winger. Haula's not necessarily a full-time centerman, and he's dealt with some serious injury problems. He was not good in his stint with the Panthers. There's a whole lot of meh on that UFA list.

Fair enough. I just don't see the payoff outweighing the cost here.

As a rebuilding team, I would take a good center that we can potentially flip for more assets, that doesn't cost anything other than cap space, over a very good center, that would likely be a rental (could also flip), that costs multiple assets.

20 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Danault is, functionally, pretty much Larkin; he can eat really tough matchups and keep his head above water. Tatar--Danault--Gallagher was an outstanding line for the Habs. If we put Danault between, say, Zadina and Craig Smith (we need some good veterans and we need some right-handed shots), we potentially have two monster lines, largely because each one would be centered by a two-way workhorse, which means the lines could trade tough matchup responsibilities as Blashill sees fit, which in turn means either line potentially could victimize other teams' lesser talent on a near-nightly basis.

If Danault is as good as you seem to believe, he's going to cost a LOT, which I personally wouldn't be comfortable paying.

22 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Fabbri + Rasmussen.

Hell No!

I wouldn't give up two young, middle six (potentially top six) centers / wingers for one older top six center.

Again, if we're at all close to contending, these are the types of trades you make. Not in the midst of a rebuild...

On 8/31/2020 at 10:17 AM, LeftWinger said:

I think Dallas will shop Bishop and re-sign Khudobin. Going back to my thoughts on that, Yzerman should take 100% of that contract and their 1st round pick. We have the space, we need to solidify the G position. No guarantee Bernier won't go back to pre-January Bernier. Having Bishop for the next three years will only help us. I know he has a NMC, but we know they can be waived. Detroit might not be his best option for winning, but it might be his best option for playing, plus his history with Yzerman helps too.

I doubt he waives his NMC to go to Detroit. Keep in mind he's never won a Cup yet. I figure Khudobin will be the one moving on. Not sure if Stevie could even attract him to Detroit..i'm keeping my expectations low in regards to any goaltender he picks up. 

As for solidifying the goaltending position for years to come...ASKAROV!!

Edited by chaps80

On 8/31/2020 at 8:34 AM, kipwinger said:

Remember Franzen? Or Stephen Weiss?

Edit: Also, Helm had a series of groin pulls and a broken collarbone. Kronwall broke his leg. All those injuries heal 100% and are not even close to as bad as blowing out an ACL...twice. That's a MUCH more significant injury.

I miss Franzen. Career cut short, not his fault. Weiss just sucked, never got his s*** together.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

8:01 AM October 9th: The Detroit Red Wings have signed Derek Forbort and Colin Wilson to matching $3 mil AAV 2 years deals. The Red Wings are done for the offseason.

I hope to see a couple of trades from Yzerman to acquire picks or prospects. 

A decision on their other RFAs – The Flyers have about $9 million in cap space with RFAs in Robert Hagg, Philippe Myers and Nicolas Aube-Kubel. They may try to move James van Riemsdyk and his $7 million cap hit, but there may not be much of a market for him.

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-philadelphia-flyers-and-the-vancouver-canucks/2020/09/07/

Would you take on JvR and 3 more years at $7M to acquire their #23 OA draft pick?

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I hope to see a couple of trades from Yzerman to acquire picks or prospects. 

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-philadelphia-flyers-and-the-vancouver-canucks/2020/09/07/

Would you take on JvR and 3 more years at $7M to acquire their #23 OA draft pick?

JVR is still a very useful player. Sooooo, I'd trade for him and Philly's 23rd overall. Then flip JVR to a contender and retain about 2.5 million per year, for a couple of 2nds or a decent prospect.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Absolutely.

If Van Riemsdyk is on the block though, it won't be as a pure salary dump. JVR still has quite a bit of value, even at 31 years old, and $7M per. The Flyers could easily get an asset or two from another team, not the other way around.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

JVR is still a very useful player. Sooooo, I'd trade for him and Philly's 23rd overall. Then flip JVR to a contender and retain about 2.5 million per year, for a couple of 2nds or a decent prospect.

He'd probably give Mantha a run for top goal scorer on this team...That is if Mantha re-signs, and can stay healthy.

Cant see the flyers giving up the 23rd pick for jvr but if so id easily take him on , eat 3.5 per and flip him again ... you’d have to think jvr 3.5 for 3 yrs would fetch us alot but i doubt itll happen

heard darren dregger say not only are teams are up against the cap but there will be teams with internal cap now within the 70s ... maybe the flyers are one of them? Wonder which teams are looking to shed money we need to take advantage of this and pounce on 2-3 1sts 

This is exciting

tsn insider trading

Darren Dreger: Before you get to 2020-21 and the start of next season, what that might look like, there's going to be season-ending chaos at the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Teams are in organizational meetings right now around the National Hockey League, especially the cap teams trying to figure out how do they get down to that flat cap of $81.5 million. Beyond that there's another group of teams because of financial situations involving their NHL owners who are looking at an internal cap which is never good news for GMs. And some say that internal cap for a lot of clubs could be in the low 70s.