• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2020 Offseason

Rate this topic

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Would you do it?

I'm torn, on one hand I think Yzerman should do whatever he needs to do gather assets but on the other I'm not liking the terms on those contracts. On the third hand I guess Johnson and Killorn is not completely useless and could be good mentors on this team. I read somewhere about Tampa adding Alnefelt which would make me feel better about it.

(the post was meant as a tongue-in-cheek remark about how we really need a fifth thread on this issue btw)

Take it for what it's worth, but according to Sean Tierney, there are going to be 10 teams worse than the Red Wings this season...

That's quite the improvement on last season. I don't necessarily think we'll improve that much, but I do think we'll climb the standings at least a few spots. And that's without anymore moves, which I think there will be...

On 12/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, krsmith17 said:

Take it for what it's worth, but according to Sean Tierney, there are going to be 10 teams worse than the Red Wings this season...

That's quite the improvement on last season. I don't necessarily think we'll improve that much, but I do think we'll climb the standings at least a few spots. And that's without anymore moves, which I think there will be...

Greiss will be a huge additon. Howard lost 25 of 27 game last season. Only four of those losses(including two in OT) were games with a one-goal differential and very many with a score so ugly that it  indicates that the team just gave up on that night. Bad goaltending break teams, especially the ones with subpar defense(being generous here). Goes the other way too, I guess, but if Greiss can keep us in a little longer in a majority of those games we could be adding 10-15 points by just the upgrade in net alone.

Merrill and Stecher are fine acquisitions and will hopefully help to stabilize the defense. Jonathan Ericsson dressed up for 18 games last season..

6 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

Greiss will be a huge additon. Howard lost 25 of 27 game last season. Only four of those losses(including two in OT) were games with a one-goal differential and very many with a score so ugly that it  indicates that the team just gave up on that night. Bad goaltending break teams, especially the ones with subpar defense(being generous here). Goes the other way too, I guess, but if Greiss can keep us in a little longer in a majority of those games we could be adding 10-15 points by just the upgrade in net alone.

Merrill and Stecher are fine acquisitions and will hopefully help to stabilize the defense. Jonathan Ericsson dressed up for 18 games last season..

Greiss, Merrill, Stetcher, Ryan and Nametsnikov(sp?) are all good, not huge additions. We should see improvements through out the line up. These improvements will be small, not huge.

I just can't see better than 28th. 

1 hour ago, WRusco said:

Greiss, Merrill, Stetcher, Ryan and Nametsnikov(sp?) are all good, not huge additions. We should see improvements through out the line up. These improvements will be small, not huge.

Which is exactly what this team should be aiming for. By the way, 28th would be a HUGE improvement on last season, considering we finished dead last, and the next worse team was over 20 points ahead of us...

2 hours ago, WRusco said:

Pretty much were I'm at too.

The guys Stephen brought in on offense are fine additions too. Namestnikov does wonders for our depth and Ryan will help out on the PP a bit but I don't think we will see any major improvement in scoring.

Main reason for my skepticism is that Blashill is still the Red Wings coach next season and with five years on the job he still hasn't shown that he has any idea on how he wants the team to attack.

I don't really care too much as long as we're in the bottom five. The concensus top pick is Owen Power, who I don't care about considering our depth on defensemen. I'm completely content picking 3-5 and landing one of the centers (preferably Johnson or Beniers from Michigan).

2 hours ago, YzermanTonguedMyAnus said:

Greiss is 235 lbs. He has a whole sand bag on Jimmy. And you think this Augustus Gloop is gonna save us?

All brawn vs all lard.

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't really care too much as long as we're in the bottom five. The concensus top pick is Owen Power, who I don't care about considering our depth on defensemen. I'm completely content picking 3-5 and landing one of the centers (preferably Johnson or Beniers from Michigan).

Whats the outlook on the 2021 class? Deeper than this year?

4 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

All brawn vs all lard.

Whats the outlook on the 2021 class? Deeper than this year?

From what I understand there's no obvious #1 like there has been in years past and the class is heavy on defensemen supposedly, but I don't really know whether it is deep or not. I'm generally of the opinion that most classes are about the same anymore (because the scouting is so good) and that the only real difference is who's at the very top. If there's a McDavid/Eichel situation people will say the class is crazy good, and if there's Hischier/Patrick they'll say it's bad. But about the same number of guys will pan out from either class.

Still too early to tell, but from what I've seen there's no obvious superstar at the head of the class so as long as we're picking in the top 5 I'd assume we're getting a player who's generally as good as any other player in that area.

With the capitals missing out on henrik now can this be an opportunity to try and get fleury out of vegas and then flipping him at 50% off for two seasons to the capitals?

Maybe we can get a 1st off vegas for taking the 7 mill off their hands and a 2nd + to the caps (doubt they trade a 1st for a 36 yr old back up)

2021 vegas 1st , caps 2nd 2022 (since we got three 2nd rounders this draft and more trade bait at the deadline) ... throw in a 4/5th rounder if lucky if not id still do it

3.5 cap space x2 yrs and no roster spot needed to be used like johnson would ... cant imagine fleury would put the caps on his no trade list

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Alright so if these teams are going to conviently be saved by a last minute injury i say we just go out and over pay a mike hoffman and give him 1 yr x 5 ( dont think he’ll get that now or hed have already signed) or overpay a mikael granlund x 1 yr and try and get our 1st+ at the deadline and leave like a nielsen rotting on the taxi squad 

47 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So.....Steve Yzerman is scheduled to address the media at 2:30 EDT today....could we possibly be getting a Captain this afternoon?

How did they do it with Lids and Z? Wasn’t it a worst kept secret situation ending with them skating out of the tunnel being announced for the first time as captain or something? Vaguely remember that.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryan said:

Howard is still available. Might be a worthwhile pickup considering we will require 3 goalies on the roster for the taxi squad, we just sent Pickard to Austria, and Boyle sucks ass.

Maybe Hasek too. Actually, maybe Hasek could be Jimmy’s personal pizza boy. I could see a hack montage to that on an FSD intermission segment.

Edited by gcom007

42 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

How did they do it with Lids and Z? Wasn’t it a worst kept secret situation ending with them skating out of the tunnel being announced for the first time as captain or something? Vaguely remember that.

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryan said:

Worst kept secrets because Holland can't keep secrets. Yzerman doesn't call it a press conference, it's just "addressing the media." Litterally the same thing, but sounds like a ho hum thing. Plus, in this day of COVID, there are no people/players/reporters gathering in and around LCA, this may just be Steve on cam and "The Next Captain" ready to turn his on once announced. I am just hoping for some exciting news, this off-season has turned out a bit slow after we all felt things were going to hit the fan left and right around here! (well at least I did! :lol:)