• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Season

Rate this topic

...so! Tomorrow it will no longer be the off-season. It's FINALLY here! Let's Go Red Wings!  

I do beleive our roster is pretty much set, with only one spot up for grabs up front. We have 13 forwards and 7 D on the current roster. Who comes in a takes those spots? I am think Svech has to be in the lead to take the forward spot. I haven't heard anything more about expanded rosters, except for the Taxi Squad, which I will assume will consist of players with waiver eligibility, since players have to clear waivers to be assigned to the taxi squad. I am hoping for a opening night lineup to look similar to this:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Fabbri - Namestikov - Ryan

Svechnikov - Gagner - Zadina

Helm - Filppula - Glendening

(Erne, Nielsen)

...although I know Neilsen will probably be there in place of someone...

Dekeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Stecher

Staal - Merrill

(Biega)

Greiss

(Bernier)

...who goes on the Taxi Squad? the rule is minimum 4, maximum 6, with one being a goalie. I know Yzerman said he may go with 2 goalies, but who do you think makes the sqaud?

Brome, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Lindstrom, Smith are all good candidates, then do you go with one or two G's? That would eliminate someone from the skaters list, who?

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

...so! Tomorrow it will no longer be the off-season. It's FINALLY here! Let's Go Red Wings!  

I do beleive our roster is pretty much set, with only one spot up for grabs up front. We have 13 forwards and 7 D on the current roster. Who comes in a takes those spots? I am think Svech has to be in the lead to take the forward spot. I haven't heard anything more about expanded rosters, except for the Taxi Squad, which I will assume will consist of players with waiver eligibility, since players have to clear waivers to be assigned to the taxi squad. I am hoping for a opening night lineup to look similar to this:

(Erne, Nielsen)

Dekeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Stecher

Staal - Merrill

(Biega)

Greiss

(Bernier)

...who goes on the Taxi Squad? the rule is minimum 4, maximum 6, with one being a goalie. I know Yzerman said he may go with 2 goalies, but who do you think makes the sqaud?

Brome, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Lindstrom, Smith are all good candidates, then do you go with one or two G's? That would eliminate someone from the skaters list, who?

I think you are probably close for the most part. 

Zadina will be 2nd line for most of the time. Fabbri, Svetchnikov, an Ryan will bounce between 2nd and 3rd lines.

Nemeth , Stetcher, Stall, ,Merrill and Biega will bounce around the bottom 5 D for most of the season. If injuries here I think Lindstrom gets 1st call up.

Not too sure of Brome on the taxi squad as I don't believe he has any NA experiance. But who else?

DROP THE PUCK!!!!

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

(Erne, Nielsen)

Dekeyser - Hronek

Nemeth - Stecher

Staal - Merrill

(Biega)

Greiss

(Bernier)

Is that accurate? or do they have to clear when moving on or off?  Also if, in a normal year, a player was waiver exempt and could be assigned and recalled at will does that same player now have to be exposed on waivers to go to and from the taxi squad?  I ask these questions because I have no idea BUT...

I'd keep every waiver exempt kid on the roster if they could be sent to the taxi squad without risk and hope in the process the likes of Nielsen, Erne, etc being exposed, when called up, would lead to them being claimed.

Woulda been pointless to recall rasmussen and others to have them just sit around

bertuzzi larkin mantha

Zadina nasmestnikov ryan

fabbri rasmussen brome

helm filppula glendening

Svechnikov 

I think with raymond coming and being rw as well as mantha ,theyll try and put zadina lw ..... as much as i want to see svechnikov make the top 9 i cant see it unless they convert svechnikov or fabbri to the rw and drop brome down

for now id say its like the above and nielsen/erne make the taxi squad or one or both go on waivers ... smith makes it on the taxi squad (until ahl starts)

dekeyser hronek

Staal stecher

cholowski nemeth

merrill

biega on the taxi squad 

thats what id like to see happen , think we need cholowski for the ppl and need to see what we have as its likely our last go with him before we move on for good . Staal or nemeth would have to switch to the right side and i went with nemeth cause i thought he’d be a better fiit with cholowski

sadly i do think the d group will be like Leftwinger although i have zero interest in seeing biega anywhere else but on the taxi squad

gonna be a long year but at least we have zadina to watch

2 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I think with raymond coming and being rw as well as mantha ,theyll try and put zadina lw ....

Raymond is a LW, but like most wingers can play both sides. I think Mantha and Zadina are our top RW of the future, and Raymond and Bertuzzi / Berggren are our top LW of the future.

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Raymond is a LW, but like most wingers can play both sides. I think Mantha and Zadina are our top RW of the future, and Raymond and Bertuzzi / Berggren are our top LW of the future.

He’s been playing rw with frolunda , either way theyll make it work so obviously mantha zadina raymond is in our top 6 (unless one gets dealt down the road) and thatll leave bertuzzi etc... fighting for that 4th winger spot

as for next year if zadina makes it as a rw bobby ryan has to be on the 3rd line despite promises of top 6 although i can see zadina as 3rd rw to start

Maybe svechnikov can make the 3rd line roster if brome drops to 4th winger or is on the taxi squad after all 

To start 

Fabbri namestnikov  ryan

svechnikov rasmussen zadina

id be way invested in the third line

58 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

He’s been playing rw with frolunda , either way theyll make it work so obviously mantha zadina raymond is in our top 6 (unless one gets dealt down the road) and thatll leave bertuzzi etc... fighting for that 4th winger spot

as for next year if zadina makes it as a rw bobby ryan has to be on the 3rd line despite promises of top 6 although i can see zadina as 3rd rw to start

Maybe svechnikov can make the 3rd line roster if brome drops to 4th winger or is on the taxi squad after all 

To start 

Fabbri namestnikov  ryan

svechnikov rasmussen zadina

id be way invested in the third line

The games I've watched Raymond play with Frolunda he's played on the left side, and he's been playing on the left side with Sweden in WJC as well.

Most wingers can play both sides, as I'm sure Ryan can as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure he did at times in his early days with Anaheim. Not sure about recent years, but I can see him slotting in on the left side at times this season.

17 hours ago, mackel said:

Is that accurate? or do they have to clear when moving on or off?  Also if, in a normal year, a player was waiver exempt and could be assigned and recalled at will does that same player now have to be exposed on waivers to go to and from the taxi squad?  I ask these questions because I have no idea BUT...

I'd keep every waiver exempt kid on the roster if they could be sent to the taxi squad without risk and hope in the process the likes of Nielsen, Erne, etc being exposed, when called up, would lead to them being claimed.

Here is a nice article describing a bunch of stuff this season when it comes to waivers and taxi squads:

Players cannot be put on the squad before the last day of training camp, and any player who is not waiver exempt requires waivers to be loaned to the squad. The same rules apply to waiver claims here as if this was the AHL. Teams cannot claim a player on waivers and put them on their own squad. They would have to keep them on the NHL roster.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2020/12/28/22202149/nhl-waivers-begin-today-how-does-this-affect-the-maple-leafs

This is very interesting as well! Taxi squad DOES count against the cap if they are over a certain salary, just like the AHL:

Nothing has changed at all regarding roster size or the salary cap. The limit is $81.5 million for 23 men plus anyone on Injured Reserve. Taxi Squad players are considered to be in the minors for salary cap purposes, so if their cap hit is over $1.075 million, the excess counts against the cap.

16 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Woulda been pointless to recall rasmussen and others to have them just sit around

They are already back from Europe, if the AHL season does not start or is delayed by a lot, they'd be sitting around more if they weren't on the taxi squad. At least being on the squad, they can practice and travel with the NHL team, and at any moment be inserted in the lineup due to injury or sickness. Yzerman did say, if the AHL season gets going, he'd rather they be playing than being on the squad, so when/if that happens, then we will see how interesting it all gets and who comes to the taxi squad!

so I am cleaning up the office and I stumble across an old recording (from tape that I put on a DVD) of an old Wings game from Nov. 26, 1999. It is vs. Edmonton, broadcast on UPN 50 (Ray Laine is on it!) and it features Yzerman's 600th goal! So in celebration of the season opening (finally) I am going to kick back and watch this classic for a couple of hours!) Draper, Fedorov and Osgood out with injury, Ken Wreggett in goal, Darryl LaPlante and Aren Miller called up. You can tell it came from a video tape, but I don't recall how I got it on the computer to make a dvd. But hey, it was 21 years ago, and I have forgotten a lot since then!

Box Score: 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199911260DET.html

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Here is a nice article describing a bunch of stuff this season when it comes to waivers and taxi squads:

This is very interesting as well! Taxi squad DOES count against the cap if they are over a certain salary, just like the AHL:

They are already back from Europe, if the AHL season does not start or is delayed by a lot, they'd be sitting around more if they weren't on the taxi squad. At least being on the squad, they can practice and travel with the NHL team, and at any moment be inserted in the lineup due to injury or sickness. Yzerman did say, if the AHL season gets going, he'd rather they be playing than being on the squad, so when/if that happens, then we will see how interesting it all gets and who comes to the taxi squad!

So it does look like if we kept Rasmussen on the NHL roster and say Erne was sent to the Taxi Squad, Erne would need to clear BUT if we kept Erne and sent Rasmussen to the taxi squad he would not need to clear waivers.

This seems like a no brainer to me, keep the waiver exempt kids up and play them...  see what you've got we still have plenty of experienced players to help and shelter them.  If in the process someone claims our ECHL level replacement players, consider it a massive win!

Now, consider that Boston cut ties with Chara a guy who was still highly effective last year to play kids that need NHL reps; why are we even considering Erne and Nielsen for roster spots?

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Yes they are already back for the nhl season , im saying if rasmussen came back just to be on the taxi squad he would have just stayed in europe like veleno and seider

he’ll make the club

33 minutes ago, mackel said:

So it does look like if we kept Rasmussen on the NHL roster and say Erne was sent to the Taxi Squad, Erne would need to clear BUT if we kept Erne and sent Rasmussen to the taxi squad he would not need to clear waivers.

This seems like a no brainer to me, keep the waiver exempt kids up and play them...  see what you've got we still have plenty of experienced players to help and shelter them.  If in the process someone claims our ECHL level replacement players, consider it a massive win!

Now, consider that Boston cut ties with Chara a guy who was still highly effective last year to play kids that need NHL reps; why are we even considering Erne and Nielsen for roster spots?

Oh no? Lose erne? How will we recover... doubt anyone would claim him

5 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Flash forward mantha and larkin demand a trade and we end up with 9 wins 

I mean, trading Mantha and Larkin wouldn't be the absolute worst thing that could happen to this franchise.

I'm actually quite excited for the season to begin. It's been a few seasons since I've felt any sort of optimism. I'm not expecting playoffs but I am cautiously optimistic there will be some improvement and growth. 

We signed a solid goaltender. We lost a few of the horrible contracts finally (that Ericsson deal was the longest 6 years of my life), Steve has been making some shrewd moves, I liked our draft this year and I'm excited to see some of the kids work their way onto the roster. I really hope Zadina can start to make the leap this year. 

LGRWs!

Apparently Pierre Luc Dubois wants out of Columbus despite just signing a two year deal. This guy is a beast. Wings should move heaven and earth to land him.

To Detroit: Dubois

To Columbus: Mantha, Veleno/Rasmussen, 2nd

Edited by kipwinger

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Apparently Pierre Luc Dubois wants out of Columbus despite just signing a two year deal. This guy is a beast. Wings should move heaven and earth to land him.

That's a name the Canadiens can't refuse.

5 hours ago, Larkness Monster said:

I'm actually quite excited for the season to begin. It's been a few seasons since I've felt any sort of optimism. I'm not expecting playoffs but I am cautiously optimistic there will be some improvement and growth. 

We signed a solid goaltender. We lost a few of the horrible contracts finally (that Ericsson deal was the longest 6 years of my life), Steve has been making some shrewd moves, I liked our draft this year and I'm excited to see some of the kids work their way onto the roster. I really hope Zadina can start to make the leap this year. 

LGRWs!

It's going to be an interesting season for sure. Will the Wings be better. Yes. How much we don't know, and that's the exciting part. 

The discusions  will be interesting between  the subtractions or the additions bring the most influential. I'm looking forward to this discusion.

Even with the subtractions and additions we will most likely finish 31st, maybe 30th at best. If they finish any better than that, Blashill gets a contract extension.

14 hours ago, kipwinger said:

So basically we give up our best scoring winger, Plus one of our future 3C in either Veleno or Rasmussen and a 2nd round pick for Pierre Luc Dubois. While i would love to add Pierre Luc Dubois to our team i'm just not wanting to move Mantha until we see what we get from him scoring wise.

7 minutes ago, diehardredwingsfan58 said:

So basically we give up our best scoring winger, Plus one of our future 3C in either Veleno or Rasmussen and a 2nd round pick for Pierre Luc Dubois. While i would love to add Pierre Luc Dubois to our team i'm just not wanting to move Mantha until we see what we get from him scoring wise.

Dubois already has a better ppg average than Mantha and he’s 22.  CBJ would likely want a similarly productive player (Mantha) to help them now, but we would have to sweeten the pot because Dubois is younger, plays a harder position, and their organizational center depth sucks. I’d be happy to do it for a guy who scored a point per game in last years playoffs going head to head against Austin Matthews and Brayden Point. This kid is VERY good. 

By the looks of this, the lines to start the season (assuming no injuries) could be...

Ryan - Fabbri - Zadina

Namestnikov - Filppula - Gagner

Helm - Glendening - Erne

The defense pairings are less clear, but maybe something like...

Nemeth - Hronek

DeKeyser - Merrill

Staal - Stecher

19 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

By the looks of this, the lines to start the season (assuming no injuries) could be...

Ryan - Fabbri - Zadina

Namestnikov - Filppula - Gagner

Helm - Glendening - Erne

The defense pairings are less clear, but maybe something like...

Nemeth - Hronek

DeKeyser - Merrill

Staal - Stecher

That third line. Woof.