• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

2021 Off-Season (Too Soon?)

Rate this topic

Unless there's something going on in his private life, I am surprised that Ryan Donato isn't signed anywhere. He wasn't given a QO from San Jose and is currently a UFA. He is 25, C/LW and had 20 points in 50 games last season. He has 77 points in 180 games for his career, 35 of which are goals. These stats seem good enough to get him a contract somewhere. I honestly wouldn't mind giving him a deal around $1M to compete for a spot. Worst case scenario, he gets snagged off waivers if he doesn't make the team. If he cleared, he'd be nice depth in GR.

...meanwhile...

Here is some reading to help get us through the rest of this off-season...

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-need-better-first-line-center-larkin/?fbclid=IwAR3-_8qFMlkJcFKLJRxkM7l1-uYYCNLaQlIv0O5o6x6X7gVYZPYMrTISnek

The author mentions Shane Wright. I am going to be watching the stats of him and Brad Lambert this season. I know I have historically been of the, we must draft NA players (but not so much in the last few years) but I really think that Lambert might be the way to go if we get into that top 3 in picks. And technically he is both Finnish and Canadian, but again, that no longer matters to me. Now if we actually won the #1 OA, at this point today, I'd be in a pickle. We'll see how the prospects do through a full season.

edit: I just added both Wright and Lambert to my bookmarks in Eliteprospects.com and I didn't even realize that Brad Lambert is the nephew of Lane Lambert, who just happens to have been a teammate of Yzerman for a few years in the 80's. Not that that'll matter in the end, but it is a nice little Easter egg to find.

Edited by LeftWinger

Red Wings return to Traverse City for training camp, prospects tourney (old article)

The Detroit Red Wings will return to Centre ICE Arena in Traverse City this year to host the NHL prospects tournament and training camp, the team announced Friday.

Camp was held at Little Caesars Arena prior to the 2021 season and the prospects tournament was canceled due to COVID-19.

The Red Wings will be on the ice from Sept. 23-28 – including a Red and White game on Sept. 27 -- before opening the preseason Sept. 29 at Buffalo.

Anybody seen a training camp roster?

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Unless there's something going on in his private life, I am surprised that Ryan Donato isn't signed anywhere. He wasn't given a QO from San Jose and is currently a UFA. He is 25, C/LW and had 20 points in 50 games last season. He has 77 points in 180 games for his career, 35 of which are goals. These stats seem good enough to get him a contract somewhere. I honestly wouldn't mind giving him a deal around $1M to compete for a spot. Worst case scenario, he gets snagged off waivers if he doesn't make the team. If he cleared, he'd be nice depth in GR.

...meanwhile...

Here is some reading to help get us through the rest of this off-season...

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-need-better-first-line-center-larkin/?fbclid=IwAR3-_8qFMlkJcFKLJRxkM7l1-uYYCNLaQlIv0O5o6x6X7gVYZPYMrTISnek

The author mentions Shane Wright. I am going to be watching the stats of him and Brad Lambert this season. I know I have historically been of the, we must draft NA players (but not so much in the last few years) but I really think that Lambert might be the way to go if we get into that top 3 in picks. And technically he is both Finnish and Canadian, but again, that no longer matters to me. Now if we actually won the #1 OA, at this point today, I'd be in a pickle. We'll see how the prospects do through a full season.

edit: I just added both Wright and Lambert to my bookmarks in Eliteprospects.com and I didn't even realize that Brad Lambert is the nephew of Lane Lambert, who just happens to have been a teammate of Yzerman for a few years in the 80's. Not that that'll matter in the end, but it is a nice little Easter egg to find.

As much as I'd love us to move into 1OA, I just don't see it.

We couldn't get any "luck" when we were historically bad... as a result the odds were tweaked to favor the bottom teams... we've now likely moved out of the bottom 5 into the bottom 6-10 range where teams moved up from to move us down and low and behold the odds for us moving up from this position are substantially reduced.

I think we're going to need to go with the multiple 2nd line center model or get lucky with a non top 5 draftee who fast tracks to the NHL to match our window.

...and yes I'd consider Larkin a 2C in the multiple 2C option.

3 hours ago, mackel said:

As much as I'd love us to move into 1OA, I just don't see it.

We couldn't get any "luck" when we were historically bad... as a result the odds were tweaked to favor the bottom teams... we've now likely moved out of the bottom 5 into the bottom 6-10 range where teams moved up from to move us down and low and behold the odds for us moving up from this position are substantially reduced.

I think we're going to need to go with the multiple 2nd line center model or get lucky with a non top 5 draftee who fast tracks to the NHL to match our window.

...and yes I'd consider Larkin a 2C in the multiple 2C option.

You're probably right.

Which is most likely why Yzerman seems hell bent on building a team around giant mobile D men and (hopefully) upper level goaltending. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're probably right.

Which is most likely why Yzerman seems hell bent on building a team around giant mobile D men and (hopefully) upper level goaltending. 

Yup... playing the hand he's been dealt.  Best case scenario we are over-flowing at D and can swing a trade for a 1C.

8 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

two-way contract, no longer waiver exempt. Cholowski could be a Red Wing again if Seattle attempt to send him to the minors.

It was the Yzerplan all along *Muahahaha*

Edited by Akakabuto
forgot evil laugh

On 9/6/2021 at 6:56 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

You're probably right.

TBH, I think Yzerman would be building the kind of back end he's building regardless of the state of our forward pipeline. It's been known for a long while now that he likes his defensemen big and mobile. And our goaltending had to be addressed in a meaningful way, as our pipeline was pretty much nonexistent.

But I do agree that realistically we're probably looking at a Nashville-esque model. We're very likely not going to be a team with a ton of firepower. It's very likely going to be a scrape & claw & stymie & score by committee kind of thing – at least in the first few years of our return to relevance.

Hopefully Yzerman's able to pull a monster 1C out of his ass, be it through the draft or through a trade. But that's asking a lot. We'll see.

17 hours ago, redw1ngs said:

two-way contract, no longer waiver exempt. Cholowski could be a Red Wing again if Seattle attempt to send him to the minors.

You think Yzerman could get a 1st round pick back out of Francis if he claims him?

12 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

It was the Yzerplan all along *Muahahaha*

Only if SY claims him and then cons Seattle out of a 1st to get Cholowski back.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, mackel said:

Yup... playing the hand he's been dealt.  Best case scenario we are over-flowing at D and can swing a trade for a 1C.

Nashville gave up Seth Jones to acquire their 1C, Ryan Johansen. Johansen has exactly the same career points per game as Larkin. So if you think that a .065 PGP is a 2C, you're going to be disappointed how much it will take to get a true 1C.

1 hour ago, Akakabuto said:

E-yKcfeWQAIxRVM?format=jpg&name=medium

Here it is

Lot of euro prospects missing from that roster.

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

TBH, I think Yzerman would be building the kind of back end he's building regardless of the state of our forward pipeline. It's been known for a long while now that he likes his defensemen big and mobile. And our goaltending had to be addressed in a meaningful way, as our pipeline was pretty much nonexistent.

But I do agree that realistically we're probably looking at a Nashville-esque model. We're very likely not going to be a team with a ton of firepower. It's very likely going to be a scrape & claw & stymie & score by committee kind of thing – at least in the first few years of our return to relevance.

Hopefully Yzerman's able to pull a monster 1C out of his ass, be it through the draft or through a trade. But that's asking a lot. We'll see.

Just wanna say... this is how Yzerman started Tampa. Not so much in literal piece building... cause Tampa had a very different roster make up then us. But style wise. Remember that game where Pronger just stood in his own with the puck and mocked the trap? That was an Yzerman team. They buttoned down the hatches and stifled other teams until the pieces came. Yzerguy is doing the same again. Building from the net out. For all we know cross hanas is another Brayden point.