• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gniwder

5/8 - Season Finale GDT - Wings @ Jackets, Musk @ SNL - 7PM EDT

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

We can still potentially pass San Jose despite not having any games.

Lol. Even worse. 

Point being, 8th is lost likely but 10th, 11th is not impossible. 

If I understand this clusterf*** of a lottery correctly. 

45 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Lol. Even worse. 

Point being, 8th is lost likely but 10th, 11th is not impossible. 

If I understand this clusterf*** of a lottery correctly. 

11th is not possible. Can only drop two spots. Calgary and Vancouver will pass us. SJ needs one point to not fall behind us. 5-7 is statistically the most likely. Don't know where you get this 6th seed max thing from.

Calgary needs 1 point in 5 games. Vancouver needs 5 points in 8 games with just one regulation win. SJ needs 1 point. That happens, we are 5th last. Which means picking 7th at worst. 

11th isn't possible, 9-10 is extremely unlikely. We'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than picking lower than 8th. We are right in that Eklund/Johnson range. Nothing to worry about. 

Edit: forgot Seattle. So 6-8 most likely. 11th still laughably unlikely. 

Edited by marcaractac

2 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

11th is not possible. Can only drop two spots. Calgary and Vancouver will pass us. SJ needs one point to not pass us. 5-7 is statistically the most likely. Don't know where you get this 6th seed max thing from.

Calgary needs 1 point in 5 games. Vancouver needs 5 points in 8 games with just one regulation win. SJ needs 1 point. That happens, we are 5th last. Which means picking 7th at worst. 

11th isn't possible, 9-10 is extremely unlikely. We'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than picking lower than 8th. We are right in that Eklund/Johnson range. Nothing to worry about. 

Seattle knocks us down one spot, which means 9th best odds and 11th overall are still possible.

Edited by TLGTrico

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

11th is not possible. Can only drop two spots. Calgary and Vancouver will pass us. SJ needs one point to not fall behind us. 5-7 is statistically the most likely. Don't know where you get this 6th seed max thing from.

You're Kraken up man. 

Just now, TLGTrico said:

Seattle knocks us down one spot.

Beat me to it. 

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Have you been watching the draft the last 4 years? You can pretty much figure the Wings will get the worst possible pick they can get.

Eh.  With only 2 lottery draws now, I doubt more than 1 team above us in the standings moves up.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Have you been watching the draft the last 4 years? You can pretty much figure the Wings will get the worst possible pick they can get.

Yeah, based on lottery odds. Not because of teams being unable to get one point in five games or five points in eight games. 

Based on lottery odds alone, the worst likely outcome is 8th. 11th is near mathematically impossible. 

6 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Yeah, based on lottery odds. Not because of teams being unable to get one point in five games or five points in eight games. 

Based on lottery odds alone, the worst likely outcome is 8th. 11th is near mathematically impossible. 

Lottery history has "left me scarred" (said in my Palpatine voice)

30 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Yup, forgot Seattle. You're still doomin' and gloomin' over nothing. 

Hardly. 

But if we're reaching I'd say, if anything, you're trying to convince yourself that it's OK that fans of a team starved for star power should be ambivalent about picking 5 vs 8. The last three drafts there's been quite a drop off between these spots. 

My dudes, here's the top 10 pool (give or take) + the goalie:

• Beniers, Matthew
  • Clarke, Brandt
  • Edvinsson, Simon
  • Eklund, William
  • Guenther, Dylan
  • Hughes, Luke
  • Johnson, Kent
  • Lucius, Chaz
  • Lysell, Fabian
  • Power, Owen
  • Wallstedt, Jesper

Point being: It's gonna be ok, we're gonna get a good player.

15 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Hardly. 

But if we're reaching I'd say, if anything, you're trying to convince yourself that it's OK that fans of a team starved for star power should be ambivalent about picking 5 vs 8. The last three drafts there's been quite a drop off between these spots. 

It's a weak draft in a minimally scouted year. It's a crapshoot throughout. The separation between 1-3 and 6-10 is minimal at best. There is little consensus. The issue is comparing this draft to others. 

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. All this information is readily available for anyone to take in. 

Ask Q.Hughes, Necas, or countless other star players drafted outside of the top three years if I'm reaching. 

Edited by marcaractac

7 minutes ago, Dabura said:

My dudes, here's the top 10 pool (give or take) + the goalie:

• Beniers, Matthew
  • Clarke, Brandt
  • Edvinsson, Simon
  • Eklund, William
  • Guenther, Dylan
  • Hughes, Luke
  • Johnson, Kent
  • Lucius, Chaz
  • Lysell, Fabian
  • Power, Owen
  • Wallstedt, Jesper

Point being: It's gonna be ok, we're gonna get a good player.

Is it just me, or does this list sound like the secret identities of comic book heroes.

11 hours ago, marcaractac said:

It's a weak draft in a minimally scouted year. It's a crapshoot throughout. The separation between 1-3 and 6-10 is minimal at best. There is little consensus. The issue is comparing this draft to others. 

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. All this information is readily available for anyone to take in. 

Ask Q.Hughes, Necas, or countless other star players drafted outside of the top three years if I'm reaching. 

Exactly, the talent will be there. The Wings just have to make sure they're not tempted into taking high floor/low ceiling players in those spots. Do that with your 2nd rounders if you have to. You want a star player in the 6-12 range you have to bet on skill and take your time developing their bodies. But in the last few years there has been TONS of talent in that range.

I'm also not sure this is a "weak draft" as much as there's not an obvious pick at the top. There seems to be quite a lot of talent here, it's just hard to tell how good these guys are because they're playing in leagues they wouldn't otherwise have played in. In a normal year non of Power, Beniers, Johnson, Eklund, or Lambos would have played in the leagues they did. Instead they would have been feasting on 17 year olds in the CHL, or USDP and their numbers would have been insane. Instead they all just look sorta good because they're playing against 20+ year olds in the NCAA or in men's leagues in Europe.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Exactly, the talent will be there. The Wings just have to make sure they're not tempted into taking high floor/low ceiling players in those spots. Do that with your 2nd rounders if you have to. You want a star player in the 6-12 range you have to bet on skill and take your time developing their bodies. But in the last few years there has been TONS of talent in that range.

I'm also not sure this is a "weak draft" as much as there's not an obvious pick at the top. There seems to be quite a lot of talent here, it's just hard to tell how good these guys are because they're playing in leagues they wouldn't otherwise have played in. In a normal year non of Power, Beniers, Johnson, Eklund, or Lambos would have played in the leagues they did. Instead they would have been feasting on 17 year olds in the CHL, or USDP and their numbers would have been insane. Instead they all just look sorta good because they're playing against 20+ year olds in the NCAA or in men's leagues in Europe.

The weak draft title definitely comes from a lack of scouting compared to normal. I also think that term is used simply when there is no consensus high-end talent. Does not mean the talent is not there, just means there isn't that kid who seems ready to jump into the league at 18 years old. The top 10 guys all likely need anywhere from 1-3 years of development before making any sort of NHL impact. Which is fine, as that fits our timeline. This draft definitely feels like 2017, which was considered "weak" but lots of talent came out of it. Even AFTER pick number 10.

I feel the guys we get with top picks going forward are not gonna be the ones who get the Wings back into the playoffs, but rather contribute to turning us into a threat once we get there. I feel we have everything needed in the system to simply return to the post-season in 2-3 seasons. Last year we were on pace for something like 18-19 wins based on 82 games. This season we're on pace for about 29 wins. With some health luck, it's not far-fetched to see this roster put up 35 next year and become a .500 team. Though I think it'll be 2022/23 season when we see this roster start to break out offensively like the Sens have this year. 

Edit: If there is one thing this season has shown, is that the CHL rules for drafted players are garbage. These rules actively hamper the development of some players. We'd have likely never seen guys like Drysdale or Byfield make NHL debuts this year under normal circumstances. 

Edited by marcaractac

Full disclosure, just gonna be honest. I love this place and Matt was good enough to make me a mod. So many people have left, and the site continues to go down for months at a time. I think i've at this point moved onto HFboards. I seeming can't get a response to the state of the site, why it goes down, and basically every other mod has left by now. Surprisingly, I think we had a lot of fair weather fans here, and I get it, the Wings are really bad right now, but how far the activity has plummeted is disappointing to say the least. I thought a lot more people here would have stuck it out. We went from 15+ page GDTs to 15 replies. 

I have recently been battling alcoholism and it's been a very hard ride. My life right now is in jeopardy as a result, my liver is ruined. It made my tolerance drop, and I feel like i've been unfair here at times as a result. I always did my best to be fair and understanding. One time, a poster here pulled me into an ongoing private message and I was so drunk I didn't even realize it was a PM, and scolded and modded some people as a result and had no idea that it was exactly that, private. I had no place or reason to get involved and i'm sorry. I've been on an ongoing collapse but i'm getting better. I never wanted to see this site fall apart, but we all have lives, Matt has a family, the team is bad, and LGW isn't what it once was. I just want to apologize to anyone who may think my actions were a part of it. Maybe we can get up again and be what we once were, cool FlashyG GDTs, tons of people posting during games. Let's just do what we can to hold it together. Legit gonna be a softie here, but I love a lot of you guys and want to keep a hold here. 

Post exodus letsgowings, emancipated from the fair weather fans is more real, more fun and I suspect a safer place for hockey discourse. I should post more myself but I haven’t had time to watch games and have little to contribute unless the topics stray far enough from the sport.  The site malfunctions are the only regrettable feature here.  

On 5/9/2021 at 1:40 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Hey. If you guys say so. I'm easy.

2/3 requirements have been fulfilled already. Currently locked in at picking 7-9. If Vancouver has any competence what so ever, they'll get 5 out of a possible 14 points with 3 ROWs or simply 6/14 points. That gives us our beloved 6-8 without a lottery win.

18 hours ago, marcaractac said:

2/3 requirements have been fulfilled already. Currently locked in at picking 7-9. If Vancouver has any competence what so ever, they'll get 5 out of a possible 14 points with 3 ROWs or simply 6/14 points. That gives us our beloved 6-8 without a lottery win.

VAN beat WPG 3-1. Canucks now need 3 points in 6 games to pass Detroit. They play 4 of those games against the Flames.