• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The 91 of Ryans

New New Prospects Thread

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, Axl Foley said:

Yes. Wings smuggled players out of the Soviet Union. Not worried about it at all.

The names Devellano... James Devellano. I'll have a metamucil. Shaken. Not stirred. Then youre going tell me everything you know about this rogue Russian, Mateiv Michkov.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

:crazy:

I had this convo with Kip earlier this year, for the life of me I don't know why Hanas gets ignored as a prospect.

>2nd round pick
>Ends up becoming the top player on his CHL team
>SY signs him to his ELC earlier than typical
>Is immediately a top-6er in GR in his first season

This kid is not flashy, but he's a very good well-rounded player. And SY has him on the fast track. Probably not going to be a superstar for us, but middle 6 forward very likely.

7 minutes ago, Walman6million said:

I had this convo with Kip earlier this year, for the life of me I don't know why Hanas gets ignored as a prospect.

>2nd round pick
>Ends up becoming the top player on his CHL team
>SY signs him to his ELC earlier than typical
>Is immediately a top-6er in GR in his first season

This kid is not flashy, but he's a very good well-rounded player. And SY has him on the fast track. Probably not going to be a superstar for us, but middle 6 forward very likely.

He's a top(ish) prospect. Just not THE top prospect. I know U know. 

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He's a top(ish) prospect. Just not THE top prospect. I know U know. 

On 5/2/2023 at 10:06 AM, Walman6million said:

Forwards: 

1. Mazur 2. Lombardi 3. Buchnelikov 4. Hanas 5. James 6. Zito 7. Ali

Defense

1. Wallinder 2. Albert Johansson 3. Buium 4. McIsaac 5. Anton Johansson

I could buy an argument where he is our TOP forward prospect outside of Kasper. Buch and Lombardi are question marks with no pro experience yet. Hanas is ahead of Mazur currently, but it's clear to me Mazur will pass him soon.

Still, he's definitely in the mix of our top forward prospects.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:59 AM, Walman6million said:

St Petersburg is reportedly trying to lease Buchnelikov to another KHL team. This would be good. Theyre essentially saying hes good enough to play in the KHL but they dont have room for him, so hes more valuable as cash for them right now. He will probably get much more playing time on a new team. He only played 10 KHL games this year. 

Buch is going to Lada Togliatti. They're a bad team, but he's surely going to get a lot of playing time now. This will be the year to follow his progress.

The good:

• Anton Johansson - 18 year old RHD got 21 games in the SHL this year. He's sneaking up the defensive prospect board. Not to be confused with Albert Johansson. No relation.
  • Dimitri Buchnelikov - making the transition to the KHL at 19
  • Amadeus Lombardi - record breaking season for the Firebirds
  • Owen Mehlenbacher - good season in the USHL
  • Brennan Ali - good season in the USHL
  • Sebastian Cossa - great season in the ECHL
  • Shai Buium - looked steady in 2nd college year
  • Carter Mazur - graduated to pro and selected to worlds
  • Pasquale Zito - continues to score at will in the OHL
  • Cross Hanas - graduated to pro and played well
  • William Wallinder - dominate in the SHL as a 20 year old
  • Carter Gylander - another great college season
  • Albert Johansson - graduated to NA pro

The Bad:

• Dylan James - mediocre first college season for a 40th overall player
  • Tnias Mathurin - only played one CHL game this season
  • Redmond Savage - average 2nd season in college. Transferring to MSU now.
  • Liam Dower-Nilsson - demoted out of the SHL, may be leaving Frolunda
  • Oscar Plandowski - average QMJHL season
  • Theodor Niederbach - demoted out of the SHL
  • Donovan Sebrango - demoted to the ECHL
  • Eemil Viro - demoted to ECHL
  • Sam Stange - not performing well in college
  • Jan Bednar - consistently bad stats
  • Kyle Aucoin - bad college player
  • Kienan Draper - bad player and joke pick
  • Chase Bradley - better than a lot of our disappointing college players, but still nothing special

The Ugly (odd):

• Robert Mastrosimone - had his best season with new team ASU. Probably won't sign with us and will opt for UFA.
  • Jared McIssac - multiple seasons for GR. When will he get his shot? Maybe he doesn't deserve it?
  • Victor Brattstrom - confusing why he was even signed
  • Antti Tuomisto - confusing why he was even signed

On 5/23/2023 at 2:27 PM, Walman6million said:

The good:

• Anton Johansson - 18 year old RHD got 21 games in the SHL this year. He's sneaking up the defensive prospect board. Not to be confused with Albert Johansson. No relation.
  • Dimitri Buchnelikov - making the transition to the KHL at 19
  • Amadeus Lombardi - record breaking season for the Firebirds
  • Owen Mehlenbacher - good season in the USHL
  • Brennan Ali - good season in the USHL
  • Sebastian Cossa - great season in the ECHL
  • Shai Buium - looked steady in 2nd college year
  • Carter Mazur - graduated to pro and selected to worlds
  • Pasquale Zito - continues to score at will in the OHL
  • Cross Hanas - graduated to pro and played well
  • William Wallinder - dominate in the SHL as a 20 year old
  • Carter Gylander - another great college season
  • Albert Johansson - graduated to NA pro

The Bad:

• Dylan James - mediocre first college season for a 40th overall player
  • Tnias Mathurin - only played one CHL game this season
  • Redmond Savage - average 2nd season in college. Transferring to MSU now.
  • Liam Dower-Nilsson - demoted out of the SHL, may be leaving Frolunda
  • Oscar Plandowski - average QMJHL season
  • Theodor Niederbach - demoted out of the SHL
  • Donovan Sebrango - demoted to the ECHL
  • Eemil Viro - demoted to ECHL
  • Sam Stange - not performing well in college
  • Jan Bednar - consistently bad stats
  • Kyle Aucoin - bad college player
  • Kienan Draper - bad player and joke pick
  • Chase Bradley - better than a lot of our disappointing college players, but still nothing special

The Ugly (odd):

• Robert Mastrosimone - had his best season with new team ASU. Probably won't sign with us and will opt for UFA.
  • Jared McIssac - multiple seasons for GR. When will he get his shot? Maybe he doesn't deserve it?
  • Victor Brattstrom - confusing why he was even signed
  • Antti Tuomisto - confusing why he was even signed

I'm expecting a big season out of Dylan James this coming season. He started and finished quite well in the NCAA this season, but during the middle of the year he sagged. In part this can be explained by A) his status as a freshman, B) he's on a very deep and veteran ND team, and C) he dealt with some injuries. It was hard for him to get the kind of ice time he needed to keep up his production. This is a prospect I really like long term as a middle six two-way guy in the mold of a Blake Coleman.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'm expecting a big season out of Dylan James this coming season. He started and finished quite well in the NCAA this season, but during the middle of the year he sagged. In part this can be explained by A) his status as a freshman, B) he's on a very deep and veteran ND team, and C) he dealt with some injuries. It was hard for him to get the kind of ice time he needed to keep up his production. This is a prospect I really like long term as a middle six two-way guy in the mold of a Blake Coleman.

im not excited about this guy at all.  we need prospects like Kasper who are close to nhl ready.  our projects always fizzle.  Kasper, Wallinder, Cossa, Pick #9, Pick #17.  These are the 5 guys to get excited about.

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

im not excited about this guy at all.  we need prospects like Kasper who are close to nhl ready.  our projects always fizzle.  Kasper, Wallinder, Cossa, Pick #9, Pick #17.  These are the 5 guys to get excited about.

Not really sure it's an "either/or" type of thing. Teams need top of the lineup studs. They also need bottom six role players. A 12/15 goal, penalty killing, winger with some jam to his game will be an asset. Not to mention the fact that I'm excited about all kinds of "project" players in Detroit's pipeline. Two of which you mentioned. Both Cossa and Wallinder were considered "projects" on draft day. So were Buchelnikov and Lombardi. Sodorblom still is. No team fills out their roster with guys entirely drafted in the 1st round. None. So if that's the only thing that gets you excited you're probably in for some disappointment.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Not really sure it's an "either/or" type of thing. Teams need top of the lineup studs. They also need bottom six role players. A 12/15 goal, penalty killing, winger with some jam to his game will be an asset. Not to mention the fact that I'm excited about all kinds of "project" players in Detroit's pipeline. Two of which you mentioned. Both Cossa and Wallinder were considered "projects" on draft day. So were Buchelnikov and Lombardi. Sodorblom still is. No team fills out their roster with guys entirely drafted in the 1st round. None. So if that's the only thing that gets you excited you're probably in for some disappointment.

Hirose was a hobey baker finalist and he cant crack our lineup.  How is a scrub ncaa player going to?

1 hour ago, Axl Foley said:

He's 6'0", 185 lbs.

Average NHLer = 6'1", 199 lbs.

So how is he big?  Is he big brained or big hearted?  My point stands - he's nothing at this moment.  I wouldnt even call him a prospect yet.  Mazur is what youre hoping he becomes this year, but he's not even Mastrosimone at this point.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

He's 6'0", 185 lbs.

Average NHLer = 6'1", 199 lbs.

So how is he big?  Is he big brained or big hearted?  My point stands - he's nothing at this moment.  I wouldnt even call him a prospect yet.  Mazur is what youre hoping he becomes this year, but he's not even Mastrosimone at this point.

Mazur was a full year older than James before he played in the NCAA because he was an overage draft pick. When Mazur was a 1st year draft eligible player he was passed over because his USHL production was terrible. Much worse than James at the same age. Obviously Mazur developed quite rapidly thereafter, but at the same age James was a MUCH better player. That's why this year is going to be a big one for Dylan James. He'll be going into this season the same age that Mazur was when he started at Denver, and ideally you'd like to see similar levels of production.

Is Elmer Sodorblom our most underrated prospect? I talk to people all the time about how absolutely stacked our prospect pool is and lately I've genuinely been forgetting about Sodorblom. The guy is an absolute unit and I still think he's on track to be a force in the NHL. Thoughts?

If Sodapop is committed to training, he'll be a great front of net force who can still spin off and be an even bigger threat at the side of the net.    His skating is okay and could still be better.   His shot is nothing to write home about and could be better.   He just needs to be tougher to play against.

Point is, he may not have Holmstroms big arse, but, he has so many other dangerous ways to kill you.   I'm glad he's our most underrated kid.

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Is Elmer Sodorblom our most underrated prospect? I talk to people all the time about how absolutely stacked our prospect pool is and lately I've genuinely been forgetting about Sodorblom. The guy is an absolute unit and I still think he's on track to be a force in the NHL. Thoughts?

He's definitely the "dark horse" prospect. Could be the forward version of Ericsson. Could be a monster down low forward who can not only beat you with size and strength but with soft hands and sexy dangles too. A combo that in theory seems almost impossible to stop.

Unlike with terrible prospects like Cholo and Zadina and Veleno, we've actually seen flashes of his brilliance. I think we just have to patient. He may not become his true self till like 24 or 25. Really don't want to see him in the NHL this year. It's still way too early for him IMHO.