• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
bIueadams

Hot Takes for the 2023/24 Season

Rate this topic

I think are long term outlook looks great. But that's why most teams in the Atlantic beat us again this year. Majority of their talented has already graduated. We are still relying on a plethora of stop gaps.

4 hours ago, bIueadams said:

I think are long term outlook looks great. But that's why most teams in the Atlantic beat us again this year. Majority of their talented has already graduated. We are still relying on a plethora of stop gaps.

But this year seems like the first year with a deep roster. Neither Copp nor Compher are good 2C´s but around average. That gives us for the first time in years a competitive top nine and an improved D with Seider and Walman paired right away.

I like our chances, still not great but, like our prospect pool, with potential.

16 hours ago, ely s said:

But this year seems like the first year with a deep roster. Neither Copp nor Compher are good 2C´s but around average. That gives us for the first time in years a competitive top nine and an improved D with Seider and Walman paired right away.

I like our chances, still not great but, like our prospect pool, with potential.

Still not sold on Compher. Over the 5 previous seasons to last year he averraged 35 pts a season over 82 games. Then he gets inserrted into the powerhouse defending champs top6 due to injury and obviously scores more.

Wings aree a deeperr team but we cannot match that top firepower he could ride sshotgun too last year. He could very well ffall far shy of 50 pts thiss season.

Why I like the Compher signing is why SY said he liked it. Winning pedigree, can play every position, good health. He just may end uppp more of a 5 mil deffensive forwarrd for uss.

1 hour ago, bIueadams said:

Still not sold on Compher. Over the 5 previous seasons to last year he averraged 35 pts a season over 82 games. Then he gets inserrted into the powerhouse defending champs top6 due to injury and obviously scores more.

Wings aree a deeperr team but we cannot match that top firepower he could ride sshotgun too last year. He could very well ffall far shy of 50 pts thiss season.

Why I like the Compher signing is why SY said he liked it. Winning pedigree, can play every position, good health. He just may end uppp more of a 5 mil deffensive forwarrd for uss.

See the cool thing about JT is that, unlike Ryan Graves, he shoots right. And he's a center. It was pretty decapitating at times to not have a proper righty faceoff option last year.

1 minute ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

See the cool thing about JT is that, unlike Ryan Graves, he shoots right. And he's a center. It was pretty decapitating at times to not have a proper righty faceoff option last year.

Graves shoots right. Possibly ambidextrous, but he prefers right.

20 hours ago, bIueadams said:

Compher is going to help this team a ton, but defensively as you've pointed out. His defensive metrics are exceptional. He can matchup against top lines and find success, which should help Larkin and Copp's lines significantly. The last two years Larkin has scored nearly a point per game despite being keyed on every single game (perhaps more than any other player in the league). Imagine how he'll score if he gets even a 10-15% decrease in quality of competition? Outside of Larkin our best defensive center last year was Suter (woof!). Compher is a great get, and he's going to be huge for us.

Edited by kipwinger

50 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Compher is going to help this team a ton, but defensively as you've pointed out. His defensive metrics are exceptional. He can matchup against top lines and find success, which should help Larkin and Copp's lines significantly. The last two years Larkin has scored nearly a point per game despite being keyed on every single game (perhaps more than any other player in the league). Imagine how he'll score if he gets even a 10-15% decrease in quality of competition? Outside of Larkin our best defensive center last year was Suter (woof!). Compher is a great get, and he's going to be huge for us.

For the future, add in our last drafties Kasper and Danielson, both 200' players with lauded defense.    Compher will help both of these kids at some point to further cement their defensive pride.

39 minutes ago, town123 said:

For the future, add in our last drafties Kasper and Danielson, both 200' players with lauded defense.    Compher will help both of these kids at some point to further cement their defensive pride.

100%, and I don't think enough is made of the fact that having top six centers that score 70-90 pts and play excellent defense is a better situation than having someone that scores 100+ that gets shut down and/or can't stop other (marginally less talented) opposing forwards. Yzerman is building a powerhouse, the right way, and I think we're only a year or two of development away from seeing that strategy bear fruit.

On 7/17/2023 at 8:01 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Soderblom doesnt see a single game with the big club.

Kasper plays all 82 games in Detroit.  Scores 40+ pts.

Berggren tears his ACL in Nov and misses the rest of the year.

Raymond gets concussed in Dec and misses the rest of the year.

Sprong fills in for Debrincat after Raymond goes down and finds instant chemistry with Larkin and Rasmussen.  Ends the season 35+ pts.

Debrincat scores 25/30 playing most of the season with Compher and Kasper.

Danielson gets brought up in November.  Scores 25+ pts.

Lombardi gets brought up in Dec.  Scores 15+ pts.

Edvinsson tears his ACL in February after putting together 2 great months back to back.

Cossa wins 10+ games.

Pretty hard to bring Danielson up in November, He either makes Detroit out of training camp, Or he goes back to the Brandon Wheat Kings those are his only two options.

57 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

I don’t know if it’s a hot take but I think it’s very possible that this time next year we will look at Kostin as Yzermans best move this summer. 

Didnt Kostin play with Fabbri, Walman, and Husso on the blues?

2 hours ago, Akakabuto said:

I don’t know if it’s a hot take but I think it’s very possible that this time next year we will look at Kostin as Yzermans best move this summer. 

Ken Daniels said the same thing on the Winged Wheel Podcast. Kostin's goal share (On-Ice GF%) was amongst the best in Edmonton a year ago. It'll be interesting to see what he does with a few more minutes of ice time and some newfound confidence. FWIW Compher and Sprong also have really good possession numbers and goal shares. I wouldn't hate a Kostin-Compher-Sprong line.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

My 'hot take'...

Chiarot/Holl will make a decent 3rd pairing.

26 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Bro, go back a page. It's not YOUR hot take if I've already said it.

You two. Arguing over who's going to be more wrong. 

5 minutes ago, bIueadams said:

Bro, go back to the OP, it's not YOUR hot take if I've already said it.

Fake news. You said Maatta-Holl would be a good third pair, not Chiarot-Holl. You said Chiarot would "disappoint". Not surprised you're trying to steal my takes though.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:24 PM, bIueadams said:

Mine:

Debrincat has a dissapointing first year and is relegated to the 2nd and 3rd lines before seasons end.

Raymond looks much better than last year, but still has more work to do.

Berggren emerges as our most valuable winger. Playing top line minutes with Larkin and putting mad pts on the board.

Kasper makes the team at camp and quickly works his way to 2C.

Because of Kasper, Copp moves to LW and, much like Ras, becomes a much more dynamic offensive threat and powerforward.

Rasmussen begins to play with more edge and confidence in his game. 

Veleno continues to be a 4th line scrub.

Fabbri is on LTIR before Christmas.

Lombardi is called up for his 9 game cup of joe after the TDL.

Edvinsson does not make the team at camp again. However he is the #1 callup and Lindstrom is sat to make room for his callups. Lindstrom terminates his contract mid season over this and goes back to Sweden. 

Maata and Holl end up being one of the better 3rd pairs in the league. 

Ghostbear and Chiarot dissapoint. 

Walman starts racking up points on the 1st pair using his slapshot for deflections. 

Reimer is complete garbage and Lyon replaces him on the roster. Stevie also picks up another goalie off waivers.

The wings flirt with the playoff again but end up selling Ghost and Perron at the TDL.